Your diet buster Disney Cruise temptations?

Masonmj84

DIS Veteran
For me:

1) the soft-serve ice cream cones. Easy to rationalize going back for cone after cone, especially given that the cones aren't very big and soft serve tends to be somewhat less caloric (although no less sugary) than hard ice cream.

2) the Krispy Kremes at Cabanas breakfast. I love donuts but rarely eat them in every day life as the calories seem to go directly to my waistline. So when I see these at the breakfast buffet in those beautiful rows of glazed, chocolate, and jelly filled, they're just too darned hard to resist. Granted, they're not freshly made (or melt-in-your-mouth hot) but DCL does a pretty good job of keeping them relatively fresh tasting under the circumstances.

3) The Castway Cay lunch buffet. While this gets somewhat mixed reviews, I just love it and tend to go hog-wild on all the meat items (burgers, ribs, etc.). And then there are those giant cookies.

FWIW, I didn't realize until recenty that the food in Cove Cafe is also included. On my next cruise, I have a feeling this is going to be another diet buster temptation area for me.

I would say it is cocktails and breakfast pastries. Usually by mid-week I am moderating my intake at the restaurants because I am so overstuffed, but I can never resist a danish or fruity cocktail.

Everything! I eat like there's no tomorrow on a cruise lol. Especially at dinner with the appetizers and soups, I seem to order everything and finish it all too. It's like I never took a break from eating on my last cruise for all 7 days.

We are 12 days out and am thinking of all my favorites!
Mushroom Risotto, chocolate souffle, artichoke ravioli (that's just Palo)

Breakfast
Snacks
Lunch
Snacks
Dinner
Late Night Snacks

Oh, you want specifics :teeth:

Palo Brunch - yea not very specific, BUT I eat until I'm very uncomfortable. I usually book the first seating (10am) and I am NOT ready for dinner at dinner time ... but it's never stopped me from going :lmao:

@Masonmj84 RE: the Krispy Kream Donuts: Pro Tip: Just Say NO!! Get the fresh baked Chocolate Croissants instead.

What I have found is that I love the breakfast buffet in Cabanas ... a "little bit" of this and a "little bit" of that. I have to make sure that the "little bit" is really little otherwise I end up with way too much food ... oh look they have cook to order omelettes ... I'll have one of those too ... and I can't let the eggs I've already scooped up go to waste ... "just think of all those starving kids in Africa and China" (now I've just shown my age here - Mom, get out of My Head!!).

I don't consider the free snacks in the Cove Cafe a diet buster, but for some reason these treats seem to taste better than the same thing at Cabanas. And they are available throughout the day.

Another good one is getting a couple of appetizers at dinner and the soup (the creamier the better). Just say no to the salad (we are on vacation after all) ... because I can get that green stuff at home (when my wife makes me).

But surprisingly enough I frequently do not gain weight on a cruise. I try to walk 3-5 miles per day in addition to just the normal walking to/from activities. And on "shore" I tend to go on walking tours, snorkeling or other active excursions. And even with all of the food I do eat on the cruise, it's not the junk (way empty calories) that I snack on all day sitting at my desk. So to fully come clean, after day 2 of a cruise, I stop eating lunch because I'm not hungry. I will grab a shwarma (on the Magic) or a small wrap and have a soft serve sometime in the afternoon. And have never had a late night snack - except back in the day on the 14 night cruises where they had the midnight dessert buffet.

Last edited:
Palo brunch.
Chocolate souffle (Palo)
Grand Marnier souffle
Chocolate Lava cake
(I'm sensing a pattern here)

Pastries in general. At home I rarely get them except as a treat but onboard I tend to have at least one a day.... and my desserts are much bigger than my normal dessert at home of maybe one cookie or a tiny bit of ice cream.

It's death by a thousand cuts for me:

French fries and chicken tenders on the pool deck immediately after boarding.
A full dinner (all courses, sometimes two mains), when I normally eat smaller portions at home.
Popcorn at the show after dinner
Soft-serve ice cream cones throughout the day and a few premium ice creams from Vanellope's on the Dream.
Late night room service grilled cheeses
Full cabanas breakfasts with multiple plates
Pirate buffet

So in all reality it's just a barrage of calories. I lost 40 lbs from July to Dec last year eating mostly veggies and chicken, so a cruise is basically the opposite of that from a nutrition and calorie standpoint.

Breakfast...at home I usually just grab cereal, so to have all those choices. Then I usually not hungry for lunch.

Sliced fruit...all ready for me to eat bonus...no mess.

Soft ice cream....don’t have it often at home so eat lots . Love to take 2 of the large cookies on the island and make an ice cream sandwich.

Just say no to the salad (we are on vacation after all) ... because I can get that green stuff at home (when my wife makes me).
Haha that is so me. I don't even read the salad options when I'm on a cruise.

For me:

1) the soft-serve ice cream cones. Easy to rationalize going back for cone after cone, especially given that the cones aren't very big and soft serve tends to be somewhat less caloric (although no less sugary) than hard ice cream.

2) the Krispy Kremes at Cabanas breakfast. I love donuts but rarely eat them in every day life as the calories seem to go directly to my waistline. So when I see these at the breakfast buffet in those beautiful rows of glazed, chocolate, and jelly filled, they're just too darned hard to resist. Granted, they're not freshly made (or melt-in-your-mouth hot) but DCL does a pretty good job of keeping them relatively fresh tasting under the circumstances.

3) The Castway Cay lunch buffet. While this gets somewhat mixed reviews, I just love it and tend to go hog-wild on all the meat items (burgers, ribs, etc.). And then there are those giant cookies.

FWIW, I didn't realize until recenty that the food in Cove Cafe is also included. On my next cruise, I have a feeling this is going to be another diet buster temptation area for me.

Yes to all of this! I do treat myself at least one morning to the Krispy Kremes-we don't have them in the Boston area anymore and I do love them. Love them better warm and fresh, but any port in a storm... :boat:. And the Cove Cafe treats are small, you wouldn't think they would be diet busters, but... :goodvibes

Cocktails - I love the fruity cocktails! And Palo, of course.

This is not fancy at all and probably belongs in the thread of "what I shouldn't like but I do" - those Mickey waffles with strawberry goo sauce and fake whipped cream for breakfast!

ETA - I forgot about the truffle pursettes! They are delicious. Can't wait until October!

Yes to all of this! I do treat myself at least one morning to the Krispy Kremes-we don't have them in the Boston area anymore and I do love them.
There is a Krispy Kreme in Saco, Maine, if you ever get up that way. We still miss the Medford store though.

Bacon and brie panini from the grill on the pool deck. Mmmmm.
Room service cheese plate. The only thing that saves me is that my husband expects us to share it.
Just-before-bed trips for ice cream and hot cocoa (yes, even on a Caribbean cruise; my daughter and I started this tradition on the Wonder in Alaska and have continued it)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter