You think the lines at Disney and Universal are bad...

I would think they would limit the number of permits to keep this from happening, especially with all the recent deaths.

I haven't been reading about the deaths this week, but I did see something awhile back talking about the incredible trash problem at one of the base camps. It seems like overcrowding has perhaps been an issue for awhile. My guess (read - no facts to back it up) is that this is all about making as much money as possible for the government/people of the area so they keep on accpeting more permits.

This picture surprised me: I thought they had to wear oxygen when they got up that high.

I'm pretty sure that they do - but it's not the backpack kind, it's the smaller cylinders. They spend a lot of time acclimating on the way up: a whole lot of up and back, and then farther up and back down again.

Here is a sample schedule for a climb: Trek to BC (Base Camp) 10 days
Arrival BC April 1
Climbing C1 April 7
Back to BC April 8
Climbing C2 April 11
Back to BC April 13
Climbing C2 April 17
Climbing C3 April 19
Back to BC April 20

Doesn't all make sense to me from here on, but I wrote what I found.

Trekking Down April 21
Back to BC April 26
1st summit attempt May 1-7
Trekking down May 7-12
Back in BC May 13
Last summit attempts May 16-30

(C1-C4 are the camps along the way up the mountain.)

I heard on the news earlier that the back-up is causing deaths. :sad1: It's just awful.

I've never understood the fascination with climbing mountains, and this just reinforces my view.

I have no desire to do it myself, but I'm a little fascinated with this mountain and everything that goes along with the climb.

I just don’t get fascination with Mt. Everest and I think those who climb it are crazy. The worst part has to be passing by and sometimes stepping over the frozen corpses. :guilty:

I heard on the news earlier that the back-up is causing deaths. :sad1: It's just awful.

I've never understood the fascination with climbing mountains, and this just reinforces my view.

Bragging rights - it's all about that, IMO. It just seems stupid to me too.

I heard there have been many deaths this week. I wonder why everyone wants to climb right now. It seems like a rush of people, or is it always this crowded? I watched a youtube video of a couple who hiked. It was very interesting to watch the whole process.

I heard there have been many deaths this week. I wonder why everyone wants to climb right now. It seems like a rush of people, or is it always this crowded? I watched a youtube video of a couple who hiked. It was very interesting to watch the whole process.

This is one of the times of year when the weather is best for climbing. They're all trying to fit summiting in on the good weather days.

Yeah, no fastpasses for that one. I'll skip it. At least riding the Disney mountains won't kill me after 48 hours!! (with the possible exception of Space)

I would think they would limit the number of permits to keep this from happening, especially with all the recent deaths.

The government of Nepal receives $11,000 for each permit issued to climb Everest. A great deal of the country's income is derived from those permits. The deaths due to backups on the mountain have been happening for the past few years. But the permits continue to be issued in increasing numbers every climbing season.

Yeah, no fastpasses for that one. I'll skip it. At least riding the Disney mountains won't kill me after 48 hours!! (with the possible exception of Space)
Actually there is a fast pass. Ascent via the northeast ridge instead of the southern col. But it's a lot harder because you have to remain at altitude longer.

Actually there is a fast pass. Ascent via the northeast ridge instead of the southern col. But it's a lot harder because you have to remain at altitude longer.
Or...
One guy has landed a helicopter on the summit. It’s hard to believe the rotors had enough air to bite into at that altitude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter