You offered $10k to raise your children exactly how you were raised, would you agree?

Absolutely not! I worked hard to do everything exactly opposite of my mother. I was not going to make every moment of my kids' lives about me.

In a highly dysfunctional household with a suicidal mother and a violent father? There isn't enough money in this world to want someone to grow up like that.

10K isn't a lot of money. Kids are expensive. On the other hand, if I raised mine the way I was raised I'd save a ton of money on sports. Have you seen how expensive that stuff is lately? Holy crap. The most expensive pair of shoes I own were like $60. My 8 yr olds wrestling shoes, that he can't even wear outside, were $130. So I'm at a solid maybe on this one. 10K+savings on sports and activities=17 million dollars over the course of 10 years. Thats probably close to accurate :rotfl2:

I raised them similarly to how I was raised but not exact. Two of my kids are special needs, so raising them the same would not work.

I raised my son almost like I was raised, just a few tweeks since I was a single divorced parent and I was raised by 2 parents in the same house.

My parents tried to give us whatever they could spare, but Dad was an alcoholic and his work history was sporadic. Mom worked two jobs but we were still really poor. No thank you.

10K isn't a lot of money. Kids are expensive. On the other hand, if I raised mine the way I was raised I'd save a ton of money on sports. Have you seen how expensive that stuff is lately? Holy crap. The most expensive pair of shoes I own were like $60. My 8 yr olds wrestling shoes, that he can't even wear outside, were $130. So I'm at a solid maybe on this one. 10K+savings on sports and activities=17 million dollars over the course of 10 years. Thats probably close to accurate :rotfl2:
Yeah, $10K is one year of sports expenses for DD, not counting footwear, which is an extra $1200 at this point.

The first half of my childhood, heck no. The second half I'd consider but not positive.

Gee. According to my dear mom, I was "raised by wolves"... LOL :rotfl2: But I think I raised my kids to be good human beings. I didn't do a lot of the parenting techniques my parents used (spanking for one).

even if there was a magical reset button that allowed me to go back in time to when my kids were kids that 10K would come nowhere to making it financially possible b/c even back in the mid '90s it would have been impossible where we lived to have lived in a home comparable to the simple home my parents raised us in on a single salary (mom was stay at home so to replicate this dh would have been the sole income provider). i can say this with absolute confidence b/c our (dh and i) 1st home was in the same area, almost identical in age, size and style of the home i grew up in-and it took every bit of both mine/dh's salaries to support our household of 4. over the course of 27 years between the time my parents bought their home until dh and i bought ours the cost of those homes increased by 10x while salaries did not, on the flip side in the 25 years since dh and i sold our first home the cost of those homes has just barely tripled which is LESS than the rate of salary increases (gotta love civil service public information sites-i can see exactly what they pay today for the job classifications dh and i held back decades ago).

Absolutely. Both my husband and I were raised in good families. No Dysfunctional issues and that’s the way our son was raised. He is 40 and has been happily married for 15 years and has 3 daughters of his own. We are very fortunate.

Nope. I wasn't the best parent, I made loads of mistakes but I was there for my kids, always present. I made sure when raising mine to learn from the screw ups that my mom made (dad was absent). We can always learn and grow and do better.

Oh Lord, yes. If I could go back, we'd do so, so many things differently and way more like my own parents did. My family certainly had our share of joy and heartache, but they were WONDERFUL people and I was blessed. Now we'd probably pay $10,000.00 to avoid having our DS brought up the way my DH was... :(

Yep, I tried! Wasn't exact, some things were different because times are different, especially in regard to sports for kids now. But brought them up with the same morals and values and sense of family I was brought up with.

No way. A lot of my parenting is aimed at creating an environment that is complete opposite of the one I was raised in, and I don't think there's any amount of money that would convince me to do otherwise. Certainly not as little as 10K; since one of the deliberately different choices I made was being a SAHM when the kids were small and working flexible hours as they got older, I've given up that much many times over for the sake of my chosen parenting style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter