You Northerners have it easy!

Duanerice

DIS Veteran
Just kidding of course. You have to make it through Winter :(

But, I was in Syracuse NY this weekend and had a chance to go out running on Sunday. WOW is all I can say. It was 55 degrees and no humidity that I could feel. I think I had those temps here in Florida 1, maybe 2 days this winter. I am used to (as much as you can get used to it) running in 80 plus degrees with humidity over 70%. I wore shorts and a long sleeve shirt and was chilly the whole run. Not really cold, but never warm.

I limited the run to 8 miles because I didn't want to overuse the knee, but felt like I could have gone on much further. At home I am dying at 8 miles. Took a towel but didn't need it as I didn't start sweating until I came back in the house. No hat either.

This run also cleared up some things for me. I always wondered how people could run without a hat. Didn't make sense to me. I need to keep the beating sun off my head as well as the sweat out of my eyes. Now it makes sense. Same with a hydration belt. How could someone run without access to a lot of water. Now I know. Yes I drank, but not 1/2 of what I drink on a run down here. I normally drink a lot more than is recommended and still lose 2 - 3 pounds on a run (gain it back later that day though).

On a side note but something I was excited about - I have been using a fanny pack, yes, a fanny pack for the last few months filled with bottles of water and my cell phone. Never got around to buying an actual hydration belt because I wanted to try one and our local stores didn't carry them. Went online and found a running store in East Syracuse that carried both the Fuel Belt and Amphipod belts. Came away with the 4 bottle Amphipod belt. Used it on Sunday and it was great. Took a mile or 2 to get used to but then I didn't even notice it was there. Love it.

Anyway, just wanted to say I envy you Northerners for part of the year. This was my first time running up North. Of course when winter comes again I'll take that back :)

enjoy,
Duane

Duane - Yah, it's nice this time of the year... but wait until Winter. It's no fun running in ice/sleet/snow!! Glad you enjoyed the weather. I am in Wisconsin, but we still have nice weather. In June/July/August we get heat and humidity like Florida, believe it or not.

Duane - glad you found our local Fleet Feet store. The people there are great. We buy most of our running shoes there.

Not far from the store is the Erie Canan State Park. The towpath along it is where Lynne and I do most of our training when it is nice. In the winter, we resort to Onondaga lake Park because they keep the road polwed.

Glad you like my neck of the woods. We were in Lake Placid this weekend and I followed lynne on bike while she ran. It was nice up there also.

Also, the knee is healing great. Have walked about 6 miles at a 17 mpm pace and rode bkie also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter