You know you are CastAway Club when ...

The xylophone chimes...

It actually sounds more like vibraphone with the vibe paddles turned off because there's so much sustain. It could be marimba, but their sustain isn't typically as long as the sound that Disney uses. The tone that they use sounds like it's too low an octave for Xylophone. I use it as my ringtone for several friends.

It actually sounds more like vibraphone with the vibe paddles turned off because there's so much sustain. It could be marimba, but their sustain isn't typically as long as the sound that Disney uses. The tone that they use sounds like it's too low an octave for Xylophone. I use it as my ringtone for several friends.
Thank you for the information. Haven't a clue about the technical differences between the instruments, but I am not musically inclined. It just sounds like, in the old B&W films of the 40's, when the bell hop would carry a hand held vertical instrument (silver in color) hit a few bars and make an announcement "Telegram for Mr. Smith".

Thank you for the information. Haven't a clue about the technical differences between the instruments, but I am not musically inclined. It just sounds like, in the old B&W films of the 40's, when the bell hop would carry a hand held vertical instrument (silver in color) hit a few bars and make an announcement "Telegram for Mr. Smith".

That would have been a Glockenspiel. :D

That is the name I was searching for, glockenspiel. So is the ship's notice a glockenspiel or one of the other instruments?

It sounds like a vibraphone, also called a vibe by some, without the tremolo/vibe paddles turned on. It could pass for a marimba as well, but there's too much sustain for me to think it is one.

This is a vibraphone. You can see the paddles turning under the keys. This is what gives it the tremolo/vibrato sound and can be turned off/sped up/slowed down.

This is a marimba. It could very well be that this (or an electronic version more likely) was used. Near the two minute mark you can actually see bells, which are basically a horizontal Glockenspiel, being played in the lower right window.

Last edited:
When you seriously consider leaving your new Castaway bag in the stateroom upon debarkation, because your luggage is full and you already have 3 of the same bag...LOL. In the end, we did end up finding enough space to bring it home with us!

My wife did give our Castaway bag from a recent cruise to one of the couples at our table in the MDR. Figured that we had enough and it was their first cruise.

My wife did give our Castaway bag from a recent cruise to one of the couples at our table in the MDR. Figured that we had enough and it was their first cruise.

We've given ours away to several different friends, even shipping one to my wife's former roommate in Japan. She *loved* it!

It sounds like a vibraphone, also called a vibe by some, without the tremolo/vibe paddles turned on. It could pass for a marimba as well, but there's too much sustain for me to think it is one.
It does sound more like the vibraphone. Great videos of the two instruments. Thank you so much for all this interesting information.

Who is the "cruise family"?

One of the CMs in the port is charged with selecting a "Family of the Day" who ceremonially open the door and are first (other than Back to Back and maybe Concierge - I'm not sure if Concierge boards before Family of the Day or not since they're sequestered from us commoners in the terminal) on board.

One of the CMs in the port is charged with selecting a "Family of the Day" who ceremonially open the door and are first (other than Back to Back and maybe Concierge - I'm not sure if Concierge boards before Family of the Day or not since they're sequestered from us commoners in the terminal) on board.

Family of the Day goes well after the back-to-back cruisers choosing to reboard after Customs, but before Concierge and Platinum.

That is so cool! Do we know which CM it is, so I can stand next them the whole time, smiling and winking, so they pick us! :rotfl::wave::wave::wave::wave:

@Mario chacon

That is so cool! Do we know which CM it is, so I can stand next them the whole time, smiling and winking, so they pick us! :rotfl::wave::wave::wave::wave:

@Mario chacon

We were picked as the Family of the Day a couple of years ago. It was a fun experience. I have no idea why we were picked. I checked in and the CM picked us.

Last edited:
Going on our 17th Cruise next week, all I want is to receive ONE sticker for my car!!!!! Never ever got one. Our friends who traveled with us for their first cruise even received one! Get so disappointed.
I'd suggest giving the Castaway Club a call (phone call) and asking them for S O M E T H I N G!

@Mario chacon

No, we don't know which CM has been randomly selected to randomly select the Family of the Day.

You take your Castaway Club lanyard as your lanyard on another cruise line because the other line doesn't give lanyards :rolleyes1 - and end up having great discussions about Disney Cruises with staff and passengers! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter