You know you are CastAway Club when ...

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by com_op_2000, Dec 31, 2016.

1. hardis5

hardis5 DIS Veteran

The xylophone chimes...

Cruising Engineer likes this.
  2. tlprice

tlprice DIS Veteran

When you have 3 OBBs at one time to use from your cruises this year.

lorimay likes this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. phinz

phinz Special

It actually sounds more like vibraphone with the vibe paddles turned off because there's so much sustain. It could be marimba, but their sustain isn't typically as long as the sound that Disney uses. The tone that they use sounds like it's too low an octave for Xylophone. I use it as my ringtone for several friends.

5. Cruising Engineer

Cruising Engineer DIS Veteran

Thank you for the information. Haven't a clue about the technical differences between the instruments, but I am not musically inclined. It just sounds like, in the old B&W films of the 40's, when the bell hop would carry a hand held vertical instrument (silver in color) hit a few bars and make an announcement "Telegram for Mr. Smith".

phinz likes this.
  6. Soontobegoodsell

Soontobegoodsell Mouseketeer

When you don't pack an extra bag because you know you'll get one as a cruise gift!

ChicosWife and TheEnchantedRose like this.
  7. phinz

phinz Special

That would have been a Glockenspiel. :D

8. Cruising Engineer

That is the name I was searching for, glockenspiel. So is the ship's notice a glockenspiel or one of the other instruments?

9. phinz

phinz Special

It sounds like a vibraphone, also called a vibe by some, without the tremolo/vibe paddles turned on. It could pass for a marimba as well, but there's too much sustain for me to think it is one.

This is a vibraphone. You can see the paddles turning under the keys. This is what gives it the tremolo/vibrato sound and can be turned off/sped up/slowed down.

This is a marimba. It could very well be that this (or an electronic version more likely) was used. Near the two minute mark you can actually see bells, which are basically a horizontal Glockenspiel, being played in the lower right window.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. CM Dad

CM Dad DIS Veteran

My wife did give our Castaway bag from a recent cruise to one of the couples at our table in the MDR. Figured that we had enough and it was their first cruise.

chirogrrl likes this.
  11. phinz

phinz Special

We've given ours away to several different friends, even shipping one to my wife's former roommate in Japan. She *loved* it!

chirogrrl likes this.
  12. ChicosWife

ChicosWife The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!

Who is the "cruise family"?

13. Cruising Engineer

It does sound more like the vibraphone. Great videos of the two instruments. Thank you so much for all this interesting information.

phinz likes this.
  14. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

One of the CMs in the port is charged with selecting a "Family of the Day" who ceremonially open the door and are first (other than Back to Back and maybe Concierge - I'm not sure if Concierge boards before Family of the Day or not since they're sequestered from us commoners in the terminal) on board.

ChicosWife and Cruising Engineer like this.
  15. scgustafson

scgustafson DIS Veteran/DCL Platinum

Family of the Day goes well after the back-to-back cruisers choosing to reboard after Customs, but before Concierge and Platinum.

16. ChicosWife

ChicosWife The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!

That is so cool! Do we know which CM it is, so I can stand next them the whole time, smiling and winking, so they pick us! :rotfl::wave::wave::wave::wave:

@Mario chacon

17. DCLDVC1

DCLDVC1 DCL Concierge Guru / Soon to be DVC Guru

We were picked as the Family of the Day a couple of years ago. It was a fun experience. I have no idea why we were picked. I checked in and the CM picked us.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    ChicosWife likes this.
  18. DCLDVC1

DCLDVC1 DCL Concierge Guru / Soon to be DVC Guru

When you are the only back to back cruisers to board the ship.

19. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS veteran

I'd suggest giving the Castaway Club a call (phone call) and asking them for S O M E T H I N G!

No, we don't know which CM has been randomly selected to randomly select the Family of the Day.

ChicosWife likes this.
  20. kendall

kendall live, love, learn

You take your Castaway Club lanyard as your lanyard on another cruise line because the other line doesn't give lanyards :rolleyes1 - and end up having great discussions about Disney Cruises with staff and passengers! :teeth:

ChicosWife likes this.
  21. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

That I don't know. I would imagine it changes so no one can pick out a pattern. LOL.

ChicosWife likes this.