You got a cold, what is your go to medicine ?

Right? And the funny thing is we are a family of five so if we all get a cold around the same time I have to send my husband or kids to restock because I already bought my share. Ridiculous. It’s probably easier to get drugs off the street than the pharmacy.
Ugh I've been denied for buying too much when my whole household was sick plus my mom had me buying some for her. It's very frustrating.

That said, my ex's family was once busted for manufacturing meth and one of the pieces of evidence used was receipts for cold medicine. Crazy.

3000 mg/day of Vitamin C
Vitamin D
elderberry lozenges
rest & sleep
ibuprofen or Tylenol as needed
Sudafed

I usually just try to tough it out and get some extra sleep. Most medicine makes me feel yucky in a different way. Occasionally, I'll take Tylenol for fever or pain.

My mother's "cure-all" for everything was AlkaSelzer -- the old "plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh, what a relief it is" kind. The only thing that stuff made me do was vomit, every time. (Admittedly, sometimes you do feel better afterward, but sometimes I think the "cure" is worse than the original affliction!) I still can't stand that stuff!

I wish that I could take Mucinex, but the guaifenesin makes me stink. Worse than asparagus pee stink. It comes out of my pores. I can't stand myself.

I take the "good stuff" from behind the pharmacy counter and Delsym for coughs.

On another note, if you haven't heard of Nose Better, it is amazing! It's a clear salve for your nose when you've blown it so much that it's raw. It also has a menthol that makes your nose feel better. Amazon carries it. I've never seen it in a store. Before finding that, I'd put diaper rash cream on my nose when going to sleep, but that's not clear, and I wouldn't use it during the day, but it helps until you blow your nose a few times the next day.
Wow, that’s so weird! I have never experienced that or even heard of it before! Thankfully no issues with that.

Thanks for the heads up in the Nose Better, I’ll check it out. I usually just use a little Vaseline if my nose gets sore. Knock on wood I haven’t been sick for a long time! But now is a good time to stock the winter medicine cabinet so things are there when we need them! :sick:

Another thing I do is take Vitamin D every day. I live in the Northeast so it gets dark very early during the winter so this helps with that. But it also helps your immune system. I also take elderberry and if I feel something coming in I will take a zinc tablet or two. That way even if I get a cold, it isn’t as severe and seems to go away quick.

Coricidan since I can't take sudafed as it makes me jittery and Dimetapp cough medicine. I take Tylenol if I have a headache. I take Vit D and elderberry every day too and it seems to help.

My mother's "cure-all" for everything was AlkaSelzer -- the old "plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh, what a relief it is" kind. The only thing that stuff made me do was vomit, every time. (Admittedly, sometimes you do feel better afterward, but sometimes I think the "cure" is worse than the original affliction!) I still can't stand that stuff!

Are we related? My mom loved that stuff and my reaction was the same as yours. If I didn’t manage to vomit it was hours of very wretched belching that nastiness. I feel a little queasy just thinking about it.

Haven't had one in some time, I believe that last thing I took was Alka-Seltzer Cold Plus.
That is my go to also. I have problems swallowing pills (they get stuck and I choke) so taking something I can dissolve in water is good. I don’t like the alcohol aftertaste in most of the liquid cold meds.

Last edited:
Zinc lozenges at the first sign and that usually knocks it right out, but if it doesn’t then I use Chlortabs and Vick’s Sinex nose spray. Occasionally NyQuil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter