You can’t do PTN and fireworks...

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by Skyegirl1999, May 18, 2018 at 2:48 AM.

1. Skyegirl1999

Skyegirl1999 1st pickle of the day!

... unless you get really lucky.

We decided to try it, for science, and because I know others have asked. 8:50 PTN and 9:30 fireworks. If anyone wants to attempt it, the best spot to watch from would be opposite where we were, RIGHT in front of the Little Mermaid entrance - basically, try to be in the center of the photo below. The parade tonight was a little late and VERY slow, so it didn’t end here until 9:23 (note that there’s nowhere earlier in the parade route that you can leave from). If the parade had ended even 2-3 minutes earlier, we’d have been better off.

[​IMG]

As soon as the parade ended, we BOOKED IT out straight ahead of here (I had a stroller), and got into a DL line at 9:28. I mean, we hustled.

If I’d chosen the line next to mine, we actually would have gotten in right when fireworks started (that CM was just holding out her scanner and scanning as people continually moved. Our CM was older and was taking individual tickets and scanning... slowly). Again, luck comes into play here.

As it was, our line took several minutes, so we got into Town Square right as the WALL-E part was starting. We veered right and grabbed a spot partway up Main Street, in front of a tree, and watched the rest with a partially-obstructed view.

A Photopass photographer actually handed me a card at the end and said she’d taken pictures of us, so you can see where we ended up. (I know what you’re thinking with the dreaded kid-on-shoulders, but I PROMISE that we are not blocking anyone - my butt is on the rope and we’re in front of a tree and a stroller.)
    [​IMG]

So, if the stars aligned and you got a fast parade, a quick-scanning CM, and you’re willing to hustle, you could maybe catch the whole show from a decent-ish spot. Otherwise, the best you’re gonna do is catch part of it from a not-great view.

Would I still maybe try it if I just had one day or was by myself or something? Yeah, I might give it a shot. But I wouldn’t expect to see the whole show.

2. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

I think the key issue here is the stroller. The poster who was asking about this and the one poster who actually did it both said they were groups of adults with no kids. So they were able to/were planning to move quickly and split up if necessary to get to Main Street as fast as possible. The one poster made it with a minute, literally, to spare. The other poster hasn't reported back yet. But I can see how young adults without a stroller would be able to zoom. Kudos to you, in the name of science (!), for making it as quickly and as safely as you did!

kyrkea333, bumbershoot and momof2n2 like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Skyegirl1999

The stroller definitely made it harder to get into a good spot once inside DL, but I was still outside the park for about 3-4 minutes of fireworks - and our “travel time” from parade end to entrance line was only 5 minutes. Honestly, the line choice was a bigger issue, and the late/slow parade was the biggest - last time I watched the parade (by the fountain), we were out of DCA entirely by 9:21 - that night, I’m sure we could have done both.

5. theluckyrabbit

I think the poster who said they did this mentioned that PTN was late on their night, too. So that is an important consideration for anyone thinking of trying this -- is PTN running late and how late? And doesn't it always happen that you get the slowest CM at the turnstile when you really, really need to get through quickly? Oh, I know that feeling...

kyrkea333 and Skyegirl1999 like this.
  6. HydroGuy

HydroGuy DIS Veteran

Love the scientific method here! :thumbsup2

Thanks!

:wizard:

7. maleficent55

maleficent55 Mouseketeer

Also, I see you watched the parade from the Paradise Bay side vs being on the other side that would have afforded you a quicker exit

Skyegirl1999 likes this.
  8. 98Navi

98Navi Earning My Ears

As the other poster referenced above, I will report that we did successfully watch PTN and TF on the same evening. We watched PTN from a spot across from the Little Mermaid entrance, then fast-walked behind the parade, and turned left just past the Little Mermaid building, and walked directly out of the park. We walked very fast, and had to weave around all the guests slow walking and looking at their phones. We made it to the Carthay Circle area just as the princess float was reaching there, so we were well ahead of any guests who planned to leave when the parade was complete there.

Crossing the esplanade was a challenge, as there were a lot of guests camped-out there to watch the fireworks. Fortunately, there were no lines at the Disneyland turnstiles, and we were able to scan and enter the park quickly.

We went to the left under the train platform, and found a clear walkway on that side along Main Street. CM's were directing guests entering the park to cross Main Street about halfway down, so we did, and then found some empty spots in the crowd there. We were in place about a minute before the fireworks began.

We were only able to do this because everything went exactly right. PTN began on time that night, we had no delay at the Disneyland turnstiles, and there were still some viewing spots open on Main Street. We were also blessed with a cool evening, which made the fast walking tolerable.

After our success that first evening, we toyed with the idea of trying it again. On the second night, the parade started about ten minutes late, and that blew the whole plan. The fireworks began before we even reached Carthay Circle on the way out of DCA, and the walkways were blocked with guests who stopped to watch. We probably could have made it in to Disneyland Park before the fireworks ended, but we missed the projections and special effects on Main Street.

Watching PTN and TF on the same night is possible, but you have to be quick and lucky.

9. LilyJC

LilyJC Mouseketeer

Great tips! Planning to attempt this in about a week with two 13 year olds and two 10 year olds:scared1:

Skyegirl1999 likes this.
  10. theluckyrabbit

Thank you for reporting back! You are the second poster I was thinking about. Your post shows that the PTN start time is an important factor in this equation. The first poster I to whom I referred said PTN was late on their night, so rushing was even harder for them. It takes careful planning and helps to have all able bodied adults in your group. So glad this worked out for you!

Skyegirl1999 likes this.
  11. Skyegirl1999

Yeah, we tried for over there but it was full at 7:40 when we were looking for a spot - but as I noted, that’s definitely the ideal place. I honestly think 1 of our 5 travel minutes was just crossing the parade route full of people following the parade!

ETA: Just the front row over there was full at 7:40 (but we wanted front row). If someone’s wanting to do this, I’d try for a standing spot over there at least 30 minutes pre-parade.

We also hit Carthay just as Belle arrived!

And perhaps I should have titled my post like your last line, because I do think it’s possible - but luck is a huge factor, and it’s not something that can be counted on as an option. I think some nights, you could make it, and other nights, even if you do everything “right,” it’s simply not going to be possible.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM
  12. Darkhaund

Darkhaund Mouseketeer

Is that spot in the little Mermaid good?

13. Skyegirl1999

I've watched PTN at DCA from four spots and haven't hit a bad one yet! It's a long, nice parade route. This spot was chosen for the best exit plan, but I usually prioritize proximity to bathrooms (which were still close here).

momof2n2 likes this.
  14. momof2n2

momof2n2 DIS Veteran

But you recommend across the street? Like in front of Mermaid?

15. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Ah, I remember such conversations back when the electric light parade was at dca....

Well, I’ll try to believe you. :)

Gotta tell ya though, piggyback is way more comfy for both people. And safer. And if your butt wasn’t on the rope etc, you don’t block others any more than just having a person standing behind you would do.

Having toured with my son when he was 10 and 13 (and before and in between), try to make sure they are familiar with landmarks before the night you’re doing this. Have a plan. Have a meetup spot. Wear obvious clothes from behind so each of you can be spotted by someone else without having to be connected at the hip or holding hands or anything like that.

This allows you to not have to travel as a clump, to be mobile. And then to know where you’ll be at the end (choose what your “the end” means).

16. momof2n2

momof2n2 DIS Veteran

And to clarify. The parade was for 8:50 and you lined up at 7:40?

17. Skyegirl1999

If you’re trying to get from PTN to fireworks, yes, you’d want to be in front of the Little Mermaid rather than across the street where we were (so you’d be aiming to be IN that crowd of people in the center of the first picture).

We got our spot at 7:40 for an 8:50 parade. There were PLENTY of empty stretches all along the route, but we wanted to be right near the “speedy exit” point, so we grabbed one much earlier than we’d have needed to otherwise. For the record, the actual curb spots in the Carthay-Hollywood corridor were gone at about 7:20, but again, whole sections of front-row viewing were still open at 8.

momof2n2 likes this.
  18. 98Navi

98Navi Earning My Ears

I'm glad it worked out too-thank you for your help.

Another factor which might be significant is that WOC is currently not being performed. I have to think that when WOC returns, there will be mobs of guests somewhere making it more difficult to make a quick exit from the park.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    momof2n2 likes this.
  19. momof2n2

momof2n2 DIS Veteran

My plan A is not to have to see both on the same night, but if fireworks are canceled the first few nights of our trip, it may end up that we have to do it this way. I like having back up plans.

20. MonocularVision

MonocularVision Mouseketeer

You just blew my mind. Thank you for this idea. Seems obvious in retrospect.

21. agamble

agamble DIS Veteran

PTN also started about 10 minutes late the night we saw it. We also picked a spot an hour in advance, but could have got a good spot later. There were no fireworks that night. Looking forward to seeing them this summer.

momof2n2 likes this.