A Girl Growing Up May '21 - Bittersweet Cancellation Update

kimberwee

DIS Veteran
We're headed back to the "happiest place on earth"...maybe.

Hi everyone! I am back again with another (yep, we are going back) Pre-Trip Report! Last time I was here, we were planning our First Mommy-Daughter trip to Disney World without the DH....and now, we are planning to head back as a family!

Just to recap, I am Kimberwee and love all things Disney. I am happily married to my DH, who is happy to placate my love for Disney. We have one DD who is 13 and loves Disney, but not quite as much as me. We are DVC Members and love our home resort, The Polynesian.

64366453_10218946081266447_7571880253103013888_o.jpg
64366453_10218946081266447_7571880253103013888_o.jpg

So, the last trip was the result of not being able to use our vacation club points at Aulani in November 2020 for a big extended family trip...
DH, DD and I were excited to go to Aulani in November with his extended family, but then...COVID....we cancelled our trip. 😭 Having spent much of my childhood and college years on Oahu, I had really been looking forward to the visit. The family reluctantly decided to postpone to Thanksgiving 2021. This meant that I had points to use, and I did. DD and I had a fantastic time....but we missed DH.

During the trip, DD and I started talking about when we should return to the parks with DH...isn't that how it usually goes? You are there and you don't want to leave, so you start coming up with plans for returning? No? Just me? :thumbsup2 I'm ok with that. Anyway, DH turns 40 in '21... DD turns 14 in May...right around Mother's Day... and she will be finishing 8th grade and doesn't everyone want to celebrate surviving Middle School...and May is one of our favorite months to visit...

A TRIP IS BORN!

DD even made a wish on it last week at the Magic Kingdom...

We mentioned it as an "idea" to DH and he said "we'll see..."

Because, here is the caveat to this. We really really want to go back, but my MIL just informed me that she has to rebook her part of the family Hawaii trip (due to cancellation policies) before 10/31 and travel by the end of September 2021, instead of our planned Thanksgiving trip. If we go before September, we will not have the DVC points to do both a DW trip and Aulani. 😭

We really want to stay away from Disney World in October '21. This October was hot and crowded...next October I imagine it being worse due to the 50th Anniversary Celebrations.

Regardless, a girl needs to be prepared for all possibilities...so, I started my research and...

Last edited:
Where to begin...

Every trip I have ever planned has always started with a crowd calendar...except for our October '20 trip, because COVID.
Why look at crowd calendars first?
1. We want to adjust our dates slightly based on lower crowds
2. We really want to adjust for park hours
3. And, we want to start planning our park days in order to get our restaurant choices lined up...

This is what I consider my recipe for success, but with COVID, I don't think anyone really knows what to expect and park hours are a long way from being released. So, this time, I am planning around special dates. Mother’s Day is always a great time at Disney World. DD has a Wednesday birthday in May, and the following week is the last week of school. I know that we should probably keep the trip fairly short, so that DD doesn't miss much. May sounded better than going in January around DH’s 40th and to be honest, it wouldn’t be his trip of choice anyway. My bday isn’t a milestone this year and too close to Easter, so that’s out...So, May it is!

We can:
A. Fly out on Tuesday evening and arrive in MCO around 9:30, so that DD's bday is a long full day and not include travel.
B. Fly out Wednesday morning, just like we did this last trip, and use the day for Shopping and Dining at Disney Springs.

I am personally hoping for option A...

ME is not doing luggage transfers anyway, so arriving later at night isn’t a big deal...and being able to sleep in and get the amazing avocado toast (DD’s favorite) from room service would be great on her actual birthday...and maybe swim a bit before heading to Disney Springs for the evening ...

We shall see how this plays out.

Last edited:

Read your last TR . Looking forward to reading more here and hope you get to go with plan A.

If my calculations are correct...
WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO BACK IN MAY ...AND STILL DO AULANI IN NOVEMBER!! :mickeyjum

Because we are DVC, we plan our trips around our point availability. In my last post, I mentioned that we were waiting to see what our Hawaii 2020 reschedule would look like. If we had to go before September, we wouldn’t have enough points for Disney. A trip after, would mean we could do both...
And the points for a stay at the Grand Floridian, because we enjoyed it so much this time, would mean a Wednesday through Sunday trip.
I was able to find availability for Wednesday and then Friday through Sunday...no availability for Thursday. UGH
So, I submitted a waitlist request for Thursday and will keep stalking. If we don’t have it come through by February, we will entertain a split stay somewhere or change the reservation completely

Fingers crossed that we get our waitlist!!

Sooo, apparently it really DOESN'T ever hurt to ask...

I had a couple of reservation numbers for the stay that we pieced together for VGF...1 night as I mentioned, Thursday, was still "waitlisted". Waitlisting for DVC means that I have put in a request for the system/Disney Fairies to use it's pixie dust to find an opening for a particular room on that night. Today, I called to combine the back half of the reservation (that had 2 reservation numbers) into 1 reservation number and asked them to check the waitlist (as it was the only night showing unavailable online) and was told that it came through...even though I didn't see that it had or see any availability online 🧐

So, I am really glad that I called. Member services combined the entire stay to 1 reservation now and we are booked for entire trip at VGF!! So excited for DH to stay there with us.
:mickeyjum

Now, we just need to keep watching as things unfold at the parks through the holiday season. Hoping for park hopping and fastpasses in the spring...It's strange to see the 180 day mark approaching, with nothing to do.

Life Update:

Living in Oklahoma keeps you on your toes...it's the end of October and we are on day 2 with no power. We are lucky enough to have a generator and a great fireplace to keep us warm during what is being called the second worst ice storm in history. There are downed trees and power lines everywhere, but the sun came out today and things are starting to warm up outside. We are hoping to have power restored within the next couple of days...if not, it will make for an interesting Halloween.

Speaking of Halloween, families are still planning on trick-or-treating on Halloween night here. DD is 13, but is still planning on walking with some neighborhood family friends.

Otherwise, it is life as usual...

We did get bad news last night that one of our other planned trips of 2021 has been cancelled. We love going to Lake Texoma and boating, so we had plans to go with friends to the Miami International Boat Show in February, but it was cancelled last night. It's on DH's bucket list, so I am sure that we will go eventually... it just stinks that Covid strikes again...

The other small trips on our horizon that will probably be cancelled:

Vegas in January for DH's 40th
DD's Dance National Competition

Life Update:

Living in Oklahoma keeps you on your toes...it's the end of October and we are on day 2 with no power. We are lucky enough to have a generator and a great fireplace to keep us warm during what is being called the second worst ice storm in history. There are downed trees and power lines everywhere, but the sun came out today and things are starting to warm up outside. We are hoping to have power restored within the next couple of days...if not, it will make for an interesting Halloween.

Speaking of Halloween, families are still planning on trick-or-treating on Halloween night here. DD is 13, but is still planning on walking with some neighborhood family friends.

Otherwise, it is life as usual...

We did get bad news last night that one of our other planned trips of 2021 has been cancelled. We love going to Lake Texoma and boating, so we had plans to go with friends to the Miami International Boat Show in February, but it was cancelled last night. It's on DH's bucket list, so I am sure that we will go eventually... it just stinks that Covid strikes again...

The other small trips on our horizon that will probably be cancelled:

Vegas in January for DH's 40th
DD's Dance National Competition

Boo :( . I hate to hear that (on all accounts). I cannot imagine snow and ice right now. And I hate the uncertainty of planning travel right now. It's making me a little crazy.

Oh my, it's been a while...

Where do I begin...

We've passed the 100 day mark in our countdown and it's been a doozy.

First, DH tested positive for Covid on January 4th and ended up being admitted to the hospital on the 9th with Covid Pneumonia. He was there for 13 long days, but was able to make it back home the day before his 40th bday. He isn't himself. Luckily, he's been weaned off of oxygen, except for when he sleeps, and dr thinks that he will be able to be off completely by the end of February. Hopefully, time will bring his health back. He tires so easily and we continue to be cautious of other side effects that seem to be popping up.

Then, last week, I was diagnosed with skin cancer on my nose! I will have Moh's Surgery for this on the 17th and while I know that things will go well, I still have horrid anxiety. That healing process won't be pretty.

At the end of the day though, we are still planning on our May trip! By then, all of our medical issues will hopefully be behind us and we will feel like ourselves by then.

DH asked me if we could eat at all new restaurants this trip and take it easy...because we deserve a somewhat relaxing vacation...so, I am back to the planning boards! Good to see all of you again and hope that this year is faring a bit better for you than it has been for us 🥰

So, here's the plan...for now

Day 1 - Wednesday, May 12th - DD's actual 14th BDay = We are booked on an early departure flight via SW to MCO and will arrive just before noon. Once we catch ME (will be devastated when this is no longer offered), we will head to VGF to check bags with desk and head to Disney Springs for Lunch at Polite Pig. DD wants to shop at Lululemon and big Disney Store. We aren't going to stay all day, just until we get text that our room is ready. Once we get the text, we will head back to VGF to rest for a bit, before we head to MK for (hopefully) dinner @ the castle. DD is such a girly girl...I promised to buy her a balloon to do an Instagram worthy shot in front of the castle...something like this:

cc12821cb081141b4fe8f9c5bf414313.jpg

Day 2 - Thursday, May 13th - I have this down as our first attempt at DHS...I will wake up early to see if we get a RoR BG and if not, we are sleeping in. There's no reason to rush with the morning crowd, if we don't get a BG. I am scheduling a TS lunch at DHS @ Hollywood Brown Derby, because DD and I enjoyed that so much last time. ... ...Other things we consider "must-dos" are riding Rockin Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania, Millenium Falcon and the new Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway...HOWEVER, what we feel like getting to will depend on if we get a BG at the 2pm attempt (considering we didn't get one early am)...from there, we will probably head back to the resort for some pool time...evening pool time works better for me #causeskincancer

Day 3 - Friday, May 14th - We are headed to Animal Kingdom in the morning and will be heading for Expedition Everest, followed by some time in Pandora...FOP is one of our favorites. Depending on weather and mood, we may stick around for Kali River Rapids and another ride on Everest, before grabbing lunch and heading back to the resort to relax at the pool...I am thinking this might be our park hop day to Epcot or a nice dinner @ Disney Springs.

Day 4 - Saturday, May 15th - We have another park reservation for DHS, as a backup plan for RoR BG. If we didn't get to ride on Thursday, this will be our second attempt at securing the morning pass. If we were able to ride on Thursday and just don't feel like going back to DHS, we will order room service and have a pool day until about 3... then head to Epcot for the night. I'm not sure where we will make a reservation for dinner yet. Hoping that the new Space Restaurant is open...we do know that we want TS

Day 5 - Sunday, May 15th - This is our travel day, but our SW flight isn't until the evening, so we will head back to MK for a bit after dropping our bags at the front desk and eating a good breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe.

I'm sure these plans will change a bit...I'm really trying to make this more relaxed and not so park crazy.

Also very sorry for all your struggles recently. Glad your husband is home and hope his recovery goes well. Is your surgery today? If so, I hope that went well, too and you are getting some rest. At least you can cover up with a mask these days! My son broke his front tooth at a skatepark and it took forever to get all the way fixed, so wearing a mask at school worked out great for him! (And he does the closed mouth smile in school photos!)

Thanks everyone...

It's not necessarily a run of bad luck...just an unfortunate series of inconveniences

So, the Winter Storm has put a damper on things.

First though, I spent last Friday at our local heart hospital....that was fun. I have had high blood pressure for most of my adult life and think that recent stressors have exacerbated it to the point of being thrown into panic attacks very easily. I got to wear a heart monitor all weekend...get an ultrasound/echo...and start a new medication. Honestly, I think that it's just stress, but my general practitioner wouldn't prescribe me anything until they make sure its not an arrhythmia. 99% sure that I am fine and just need to get through this week. ANNNND...speaking of this week...we got over 12" of snow...which means that my surgery scheduled for the 17th...got pushed to 8am today...and then noon today...and then 8am tomorrow...because side streets are horrid. PRAYING I CAN GET THIS OVER WITH TOMORROW!

The winter storm has also left my family pretty cranky...mind you, we have no room to complain. We have power. We have heat. We have plenty of food. None of our pipes have broken...But DH is going super stir crazy and got kind of ugly about it last night. He has been keeping a low profile since December #causecovid and we spend 99% of our time at home. He's over it. He wants to go out and is apparently frustrated that he's been stuck at home #causecovid, stuck at home #causewinterstorm and now looking at being stuck at home #causeskincancer recovery. :sad1: I'll admit, the part about being stuck at home because of my recovery stung a bit. Deep breaths, right?

ANYWAY, enough about that. The highlight in all of this is that we have had plenty of time to sit around and have started to talk about places that we want to eat for our trip in May! Usually, I am the planner...now they are providing input...I LOVE IT!

What are your "must do" restaurants?

Wow, you're dealing with a lot right now. Things tend to come in threes, so maybe this is your 3rd thing and things are looking up?

I hope all goes well with your Mohs surgery and you have a complete recovery with no scarring.

I really like Via Napoli for the pizza, but I know it gets mixed reviews. I also try to get into Beaches & Cream every trip, but that's more of a nostalgia thing than anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter