Yikes!! My DD7 has Strep!! We leave in 5 days!!

ILuvDisney!

Mouseketeer
I know this isn't a medical board...but, i'm hoping someone here knows a little more about strep than i do.

I took my daughter to a small clinic yesterday (the only option for a Saturday in our area). And, he took a quick look and said she had strep throat. :eek: They didn't do the test to make sure. He just made the diagonsis based on her VERY red throat w/ white spots and her glands/nodes were very swollen.

She was unable to swallow the prescribed antibiotic, so i took her back for an injection. Acutally, 2 injections. But, they didn't tell me what it was.

I have made an appointment w/ her pediatrician tomorrow morning. We are so worried because it's so close to our trip.

Anyone have experience w/ strep? Are there certain antibiotics that are better? Is there a possibility that this isn't strep? Am I being overly cautious by taking her to the dr tomorrow?

She had the antibiotic shot almost 24 hrs ago. Is she still contagious?

I'm a nervous wreck! My daughter is an unusually healthy child and I have little experience w/ illnesses. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Holly

UGH! Strep is no fun. I had it 6 times in one year, then had my tonsils out. I have found for both me and my children, strep responds very quickly to antibiotics. Make sure she got an injection of antibiotics. Confirm that it will cover her for the normal course of antibiotics (5-10 days). If so, you should be fine for your trip. She should feel noticably better today, and almost back to normal tomorrow.

When I was getting strep so much, I would go to the doc the day I knew it was coming. I would get a prescription for anitbiotics. I would go back to work 24 hrs after the first dose. Usually the doctor says that you are contagious until 24 hrs after the first dose of anitbiotics.

Hope she feels better soon.

My son use to get it every year. They always told us that he was not contagious after 24 hours of the first dose of antibiotics. I'd say she should be feeling all better by the time you leave. Have a great time!:thumbsup2

My kids get strep a lot. They should have had their tonsils removed to lessen incidents, but we were gone for the summer and since they quit getting it while we were gone, our Dr. said, well, let’s just wait. They always fall just short of getting the tonsils removed (number of times of having strep within a certain time period), but my kids know when they have strep.

You are not contagious 24 hours after starting medication for strep (and remaining on it). A strep test isn’t necessary when it’s bad, and it sounds as though your DDs strep is bad; it’s unmistakable. I always make my kids get the shot (penicillin based) because then I don’t have to keep up with 10 days of antibiotics and they start to feel better much sooner. With medication it is usually 3-5 days before they feel better, with the shot it is usually 12-36 hours. The shot was the way to go with a trip coming up.

UGH! Strep is no fun. I had it 6 times in one year, then had my tonsils out. I have found for both me and my children, strep responds very quickly to antibiotics. Make sure she got an injection of antibiotics. Confirm that it will cover her for the normal course of antibiotics (5-10 days). If so, you should be fine for your trip. She should feel noticably better today, and almost back to normal tomorrow.

When I was getting strep so much, I would go to the doc the day I knew it was coming. I would get a prescription for anitbiotics. I would go back to work 24 hrs after the first dose. Usually the doctor says that you are contagious until 24 hrs after the first dose of anitbiotics.

Hope she feels better soon.
Six times? That's terrible!

yes, I'm sure the injection was an antibiotic...just wish i had gotten the name of it. And, I made sure that she didn't have to take any other antibiotics. So, hopefully that one injection will be enough?????

Glad to hear that she is not contagious after 24 hrs. I might take her to school to get her school work....and so she isn't counted abscent. Then decide if we need to go to the pediatrician.

I had hoped she would be a lot better by now...but her throat still looks awful. She's not feeling bad, tho. No fever and wants to get out of the house!!

My son use to get it every year. They always told us that he was not contagious after 24 hours of the first dose of antibiotics. I'd say she should be feeling all better by the time you leave. Have a great time!:thumbsup2
Thanks tam626! Your trip is just right around the corner! Hope you have a great time.
Holly

My kids get strep a lot. They should have had their tonsils removed to lessen incidents, but we were gone for the summer and since they quit getting it while we were gone, our Dr. said, well, let’s just wait. They always fall just short of getting the tonsils removed (number of times of having strep within a certain time period), but my kids know when they have strep.

You are not contagious 24 hours after starting medication for strep (and remaining on it). A strep test isn’t necessary when it’s bad, and it sounds as though your DDs strep is bad; it’s unmistakable. I always make my kids get the shot (penicillin based) because then I don’t have to keep up with 10 days of antibiotics and they start to feel better much sooner. With medication it is usually 3-5 days before they feel better, with the shot it is usually 12-36 hours. The shot was the way to go with a trip coming up.
Oh good! I wondered if the injection would react faster to the bug. The PA never really told me much. I hope she got the correct antibiotic.

Thanks everyone for your help! i'm actually feeling much better. Well...except for the sore throat! I'm praying that it's only allergies!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holly

Actually, be glad it's strep and not some generic virus, which can last up to ten days! The antibiotics will help him feel better quickly, and then you'll never know he was sick. But, beware of how the rest of the family feels. If you have other children, see if your doctor will give you a "just in case" script for antibiotics (they probably won't but you can ask). If not, we have decent walk-in clinics in Orlando - especially the CVS Minute Clinics, which are awesome!

Last year my son was diagnosed with strep on a Thursday evening and we left for Disney a day and a half later on Saturday. We take two days to drive so he slept in the car and was able to rest up before we got there.

He did end up with a fever blister as well but he was o.k. We kept the antibiotic in our electric cooler. They offered the antibiotic injection but I declined it because he was getting 2 allergy shots once a week at the time and he was miserable so I didn't want to make him have another shot.

Anyway DS felt great by the time we arrived at Pop Century. The trip went really well except for DH's abescessed tooth...and that's another story!:rotfl:

I love the strep diagnosis! They're cleared for school after 2 doses of antibiotics, and mine have always been feeling fine after 24 hours. I don't know why you'd have to bring her to the pediatrician if she's already taking antibiotics. :confused3 It sure beats a long nasty headcold!

The injection was likely penicillin. Did you see the shot? If it was a thick, milky substance, that is what it was, and it is the best thing for strep. I work in the ER and we give this out ALOT. He will be 100% better by the time you leave. ...and the good thing is no 10 days of 3x a day medicine to carry around the parks!

As many posted above, your child should be feeling much better by tomorrow and should be absolutely fine by the time you leave. Make sure he gets lots of rest and you should be just fine. I have a long history of strep throat and although it's crappy to get (and worse for me now that I'm an adult than it was when I was a kid), it could be so much worse!

I hope you have a great time! :)

I'm sure she'll feel 100% better in time for the trip! My DS got strep the day before we went to WDW years ago, they started him on antibiotics the day before and he felt great by the time we left. :-) Also, for good measure they prescribed some for me as well as a precaution because I was starting to get symptoms and I would be away for the week and unable to get to a doctor. I'm sure your DD will be feeling great by tomorrow. Have a GREAT time!!!!:hippie:

Not that strep is ever good, but be glad she got sick before you left. On our trip in 2006 DS then 5 said as we were getting on the plane that he did not feel good. Was grogy and not eating our first day there took him to the Clinic (Free shuttle from the hotel-great servicve for those of us w/o cars) and after spending 1/2 the day there he had a sinus infection. Later in the week I was not feeling good another 1/2 day spent at the clinic-they said they were not sure which, but that I had strep or Mono and pink eye too! My thoat hurt so bad I did not eat for two days! Anyways the people at the clinic were really nice (if you ever have to go there). Hopefully your DD will be back to her self in a few days :) Have a great trip!

If you are staying at a Disney hotel the Clinic number is in the information that they give you when you check in. It was affiliated with the local hospital and had a pharmacy connected to it. The pharmacy does not take any insurance plans you have to submit for your medications when you get home.

Thank you everyone for your posts. Being the paranoid mommy that i am...i went ahead and took her to the pediatrician's office this morning. Evidentally, the injections they gave her Saturday....Bicilllin (sp?)...didn't work. She tested positive for the strep test. So, the Dr prescribed Suprax.

What worries us even more is that the Dr is afraid that her gland is absessed. If the antibiotics don't work by Wednesday...she wants her to come back and consider putting her in the hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along w/ Suprax...she gave her a steriod to take for the swelling. I hope and pray this antibiotic works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for everyones well wishes. I wish this had turned out to be a simple case of strep. :sad2: But, we just weren't that lucky. Maybe the Suprax will knock it out!
Holly

She'll be okay. About 24 hours after you start taking antibiotics, you feel much better. Do make sure you take the meds with you if they're not completely finished, though, because it's important to finish all the prescripiton. Like I said, you feel better before you're completely clear of the infection.

Did you tell the Dr. that your DD had been diagnosed and taken a shot? I ask because 2 years ago when my kids were coming in with strep every two weeks, they gave a stronger than normal antibiotic and then had to wait 14 days to test again. They weren’t sure if they were getting over it at all. If I remember correctly, you had to give medication (shot or oral) a full 10 days to work since any strep test would come out positive in that time period and then give a grace period to make sure you still didn’t have a false negative since the medication can interfere. Does that make any sense? I’m not sure I’m expressing myself correctly/clearly.

As far as the rest of it goes, I’m sending some pixie dust your way. We’ve been there, done that and it isn’t pleasant. We’ve even had the strep infection spread to the face! That was 2 weeks of recovery. My kids show the slightest signs of a strep (including the tummy aches that my middle one gets) and we’re at the Drs. Sometimes it’s nothing, most of the time it’s strep. I wish they’d take out those darn tonsils!!

Did you tell the Dr. that your DD had been diagnosed and taken a shot? I ask because 2 years ago when my kids were coming in with strep every two weeks, they gave a stronger than normal antibiotic and then had to wait 14 days to test again. They weren’t sure if they were getting over it at all. If I remember correctly, you had to give medication (shot or oral) a full 10 days to work since any strep test would come out positive in that time period and then give a grace period to make sure you still didn’t have a false negative since the medication can interfere. Does that make any sense? I’m not sure I’m expressing myself correctly/clearly.

As far as the rest of it goes, I’m sending some pixie dust your way. We’ve been there, done that and it isn’t pleasant. We’ve even had the strep infection spread to the face! That was 2 weeks of recovery. My kids show the slightest signs of a strep (including the tummy aches that my middle one gets) and we’re at the Drs. Sometimes it’s nothing, most of the time it’s strep. I wish they’d take out those darn tonsils!!

Yes...I told her she had gotten the Bicillin shots on Saturday. She gave me the impression that it normally works...but McKynna's case was just needed something more effective. I do understand what you are saying about the false negative...and how the medicines can throw off the test.

She is doing a little better today. Very low fever and she seems to feel better. I spoke to the Dr and she thinks the meds are working...otherwise she would have gotten significantly worse by now. I'm just ready for her throat to look a little better....her tonsils are "kissing" and there are little white blisters everywhere. The gland isn't as tender to her today either. Thank goodness...if that had really abscessed...we'd be in trouble.

Thanks for the pixie dust!
Holly

We left for Disney 2 Saturdays ago on the 13th. On Friday the 12th I took my boys to the doctor for a strep test and the docs said they were fine. On Saturday morning 5hours into our drive (Pgh to Disney) I get a call from the doctors office saying they cultured the boys strep test over night and both came back positive for strep. DS7 had mild cold symptoms but ds 4 was starting to act cranky. We had to stop in West Virginia and look for a pharmacy. Then have the doctors call in a prescription. It took an hour of our travel time. We gave both boys the meds and they seemed fine by Sunday. While driving ds4 was cranky and wanted to be held. Cant be done when in a car. So I sat in the back seat for a while and tryed to cuddle with him as much as possible. He was it a car seat so it was difficult. The meds kick in very quickly. My boys usually get a faver the first 2 days so have motrin to bring the fever down. But strep did not ruin our trip at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter