• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yet another newbie!

CanuckTraveller

Mouseketeer
Time to introduce myself...DH and I have two boys, currently aged 6 and 3 yrs. We live near Ottawa, Ontario in beautiful Canada, where the weather is always a topic of conversation and definitely the reason we travel every winter!
The kids have decided it's time for us to visit the mouse :thumbsup2
Our Jan, 2012 trip is already booked (cruise to Belize, Roatan and Mexico out of Tampa, with a few days in Tampa before we leave) so now looking for 2013. The cruise sites have me planning well in advance, although it looks like I don't have to be quite as vigilant with Disney.
So far we've decided we would like to stay at either the Grand Floridian or Polynesian resorts, as easy access to MK is key. I'm still completely confused about the dining plan options, but hopefully some leisurely reading bewteen now and Aug, 2012 will enlighten me.
A few questions:
1. When do the best deals come out? We will be travelling either late January or March, 2013, so should I book in Aug, 2012 when the dates are released, or wait? Can you call your booking agent to add deals released at a later date to your reservation?
2. When booking, do you reserve just the room, or the passes and dining plan too? I read somewhere that they suggest doing a sample budget for what you might spend on food while on-site, where can I find menus and prices for restaurants?
3. This might be a dumb question, but can you go to characture meals at other resorts, or are you limited to the one you're staying at? Is there anything restricting people from resort hopping (i.e. staying at a less expensive resort but using the facilities of the nicer resorts)? I'm not too keen on paying a premium for these resorts when others are using the common areas too.
4. (Another one that might get me slammed!) My kids are not huge Disney fans. They know some of the characters, but are not crazy about any one. A meal with Mickey would be very cool, but they don't want to become princesses or the likes. Any suggestions for neat things to do?
5. How loud are the fireworks from these two resorts? DS1 is VERY sensitive to sound and I would hate for him to dread every evening at Disney.
6. Airfare...the prices I'm seeing through Disney's site for this year seem quite reasonable, but I always hate leaving airfare to someone else. Can we still do the Disney transfers from the Tampa airport if I book the air separately?
Anything else I should know? (lol, I know that's a rhetorical question!)

17.gif

Time to introduce myself...DH and I have two boys, currently aged 6 and 3 yrs. We live near Ottawa, Ontario in beautiful Canada, where the weather is always a topic of conversation and definitely the reason we travel every winter!
The kids have decided it's time for us to visit the mouse :thumbsup2
Our Jan, 2012 trip is already booked (cruise to Belize, Roatan and Mexico out of Tampa, with a few days in Tampa before we leave) so now looking for 2013. The cruise sites have me planning well in advance, although it looks like I don't have to be quite as vigilant with Disney.
So far we've decided we would like to stay at either the Grand Floridian or Polynesian resorts, as easy access to MK is key. I'm still completely confused about the dining plan options, but hopefully some leisurely reading bewteen now and Aug, 2012 will enlighten me.
A few questions:
1. When do the best deals come out? We will be travelling either late January or March, 2013, so should I book in Aug, 2012 when the dates are released, or wait? Can you call your booking agent to add deals released at a later date to your reservation?
2. When booking, do you reserve just the room, or the passes and dining plan too? I read somewhere that they suggest doing a sample budget for what you might spend on food while on-site, where can I find menus and prices for restaurants?
3. This might be a dumb question, but can you go to characture meals at other resorts, or are you limited to the one you're staying at? Is there anything restricting people from resort hopping (i.e. staying at a less expensive resort but using the facilities of the nicer resorts)? I'm not too keen on paying a premium for these resorts when others are using the common areas too.
4. (Another one that might get me slammed!) My kids are not huge Disney fans. They know some of the characters, but are not crazy about any one. A meal with Mickey would be very cool, but they don't want to become princesses or the likes. Any suggestions for neat things to do?
5. How loud are the fireworks from these two resorts? DS1 is VERY sensitive to sound and I would hate for him to dread every evening at Disney.
6. Airfare...the prices I'm seeing through Disney's site for this year seem quite reasonable, but I always hate leaving airfare to someone else. Can we still do the Disney transfers from the Tampa airport if I book the air separately?
Anything else I should know? (lol, I know that's a rhetorical question!)

1. Yes, if a deal comes out after you book you can have the promo added, as long as you are not within your 45 day mark, I believe.
2. I find that the dining plan works best for our family. We have 2 youngs kids also, so we MUST sit down 3x a day to eat. Also, with character meals, signature meals, & dinner shows we book we save a lot of money.
3. Yes, you can eat at any other resort. As far as pool hoping & such between different resorts, that is pretty much as no-no. Unless you are at an All-Star Resort you can hop as much as you want between the 3.
4. There are so many cool things to do in Disney, just lurk through the boards here & you will find great things for your youngsters. Maybe start a new thread, you will get lots of advice. :goodvibes
5. When we stayed at the Beach Club we could hear Epcots fireworks, but it wasn't obnoixous or never woke up our kids when they were passed out.
6. You do not need to book airfare through Disney to take advantage of the magical express. Shop around & book when you find something good.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

and have a magical trip. pixiedust:

I appreciate your response. I never realized how complicated it was to plan a trip to Disney ;)
Now off to check out WestJet, they had some very interesting offers for this summer that may up our trip by a year or two!

Yep, watch for all those promos that pop up from time to time! We hadn't planned on going back to Disney for a few years because we have a Disney cruise booked & planned some other things. However, when we got the pin offer for free dining in the summer we couldn't pass it up. :goodvibes As far as planning, I find that those who plan & research have the best Disney trips! Finding out all the tricks of the trade on the Dis is what puts that extra magic in your trip to make you fall in love...:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter