Yet another example of the continuing decline in quality of Disney Parks merchandise

topolino

DIS Veteran
On our late February trip (only 3 1/2 months ago), two of the items we purchased were a set of vinyl cutting boards shaped like Mickey's hand, Mickey's shorts and Mickey's shoe (purchased at WoD), and a pair of brown leather sandals for me at the main shop at Disney's Boardwalk Inn.

The color on the cutting boards, like the red in Mickey's shorts, is already wearing off, and is in some cases almost completely eroded. And although I know they are made to cut on with a knife, the scratches across the boards are completely visible. :eek:

The sandals are the kind that have a thing that goes in between your big toe and the next toe. After only having worn these a couple times, I wore them last week. As I was getting into my car (which is high because it's an SUV) I stepped up with one foot and the propelled myself up like I always do. Well my foot moved, but the bottom of the sandal stayed immobile on the floormat of the car, and my foot ripped the tab that goes between your toes! It didn't just come off from the sole, it ripped completely in half and I barely touched it! It looks as if I cut it with a scissor, but I swear that's how it happened. It didn't happen at home and so I was mad, because I had somewhere else to be, but I couldn't walk with these so I had to go home and change shoes. :mad:

There are many stories of how Disney Parks merchandise has declined in quality and these are just two more examples.

Please call or write to Disney and let them know of your experience. It's the only way to get things to change for the better.

Please call or write to Disney and let them know of your experience. It's the only way to get things to change for the better.

I think I'm going to this time NikkiBell, because this is not even close to the first time this has happened. I'm also going to tell them about the pajama pants that I bought only last July and already have holes in them, and I only wear them around the house!

The cheap quality of Disney Merchandise these days is very, very sad. I bought two mugs, one at DHS and one at OKW, the decals on both came completely off when I HAND washed them. Just peeled right off. I had the mugs for only a few months and had only used them a couple times. I will no longer buy "decal" mugs at Disney. I only buy the molded figural ones now.

I bought a necklace for my niece at TrenD. She picked it out from pics here on the DIS that Corey and Julie took. I was excited to find it and buy it for her. She literally took it out of the bag, put it on and turned to show it to me and the string broke. The necklace was not inexpensive price wise.

It's a joke anymore. I did call about the mugs and the necklace. I don't think things will change though. I think MOST people just shrug their shoulders when stuff like this happens and don't take the time to call and that is what Disney is counting on.

The cheap quality of Disney Merchandise these days is very, very sad. I bought two mugs, one at DHS and one at OKW, the decals on both came completely off when I HAND washed them. Just peeled right off. I had the mugs for only a few months and had only used them a couple times. I will no longer buy "decal" mugs at Disney. I only buy the molded figural ones now.

I bought a necklace for my niece at TrenD. She picked it out from pics here on the DIS that Corey and Julie took. I was excited to find it and buy it for her. She literally took it out of the bag, put it on and turned to show it to me and the string broke. The necklace was not inexpensive price wise.

It's a joke anymore. I did call about the mugs and the necklace. I don't think things will change though. I think MOST people just shrug their shoulders when stuff like this happens and don't take the time to call and that is what Disney is counting on.

Exactly. The average guest probably figures, "well, I'm not going to be back at WDW for at least a year, if not longer, so there is no way they will exchange it then".

I hate to think that that is what Disney is counting on, but it honestly feels like it is.

When I was at WDW last week, there were a few shirts and t-shirts that caught my eye, but they were so thin and flimsy that I didn't buy them. For $40, I want something to last a LONG time.

Shame on you, Disney!!!

when i was at wdw last week, there were a few shirts and t-shirts that caught my eye, but they were so thin and flimsy that i didn't buy them. For $40, i want something to last a long time.

Shame on you, disney!!!

very true!

When I was at WDW last week, there were a few shirts and t-shirts that caught my eye, but they were so thin and flimsy that I didn't buy them. For $40, I want something to last a LONG time.

Shame on you, Disney!!!

I gotta say, the thin filmsy t-shirts are everywhere for some reason. I see them all over from Disney to JCPenney to Hollister to Macy's. You can SEE through them, but apparently they are very popular. I personally do not understand it at all, but it is a trend.

I view the shoddy Disney merchandise as an incentive not to spend hard-earned cash when I'm on vacation at WDW. Our cash goes elsewhere. Last visit to WDW DH and I only purchased a package of Christmas cards, two t-shirts for friends (they asked for them--what could we do?), a Disney cookbook, Kona coffee, a non-Disney themed t-shirt and a bag of catnip. That was it. Peanuts.

It's a shame that the quality has gone downhill....I'll just spend less....

I bought garden statues from Disney and they chipped their paint all over in the first year. Too heavy to bother returning.:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter