Yesterday - the no Beatles movie - NO Spoilers

Would someone like the film if they were not a fan of the Beatles? Asking for a friend. ;)

:rotfl2: Ask your friend ;) if she is not a fan because she's not really familiar with the music? Or not a fan because she doesn't like the music?

If she's not familiar with the music much, it's a great intro and way to get to hear some of the best music in the world. Plus, it's a sweet, funny movie.

If she's not a fan because she doesn't like the music, well, tell her she has bad taste and you are breaking off your friendship with her. :snooty: ;) :lmao:

This is the third "music movie" featuring fantastic music of the 60s & 70's, out in the last 8 months. For me, the third time's the charm, I guess. I absolutely loved Bohemian Rhapsody. Didn't care for Rocketman. (Many others did.) And now, I loved Yesterday. Not as much as BoRhap. But, was pleasantly surprised and not knowing what to expect after Rocketman.

Critics on Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 62%. Meanwhile the audience score is 90%. (Pretty much the same numbers as Bohemian Rhapsody. ) Rocketman, got higher scores overall.

There is a very big "twist" in Yesterday, that has been divisive with audiences. According to the director, Danny Boyle, “When we came to test the film, yes, there are some people that don’t like it at all. But other people like it enormously.”

I liked it. I got teary-eyed. However, your reaction many vary. For those who've seen it, PLEASE don't spoil and reveal the "twist" for others. However, it would be interesting to hear whether you liked it or didn't.

(There IS a Spoiler thread for this movie, on the DIS here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/yesterday-movie-spoilers.3757332/ )
But, for people who haven't seen it and wondered what other people think of it and don't want to be spoiled, there was no thread for that.

The director sent the film with a letter to the 2 surviving Beatles and to the widows of the other two as he was concerned about how they might feel about the film. After seeing the movie, Ringo & Olivia Harrison wrote back that they both liked the movie.

I think Yesterday, is a very sweet & funny romantic comedy. It's written by the guy who wrote, Love Actually. So, it has some complexity. It has a record 17 Beatles songs in it. The most Beatles songs that the music publishing company, Sony/ATV, which handles the song catalog, has ever licensed for a non-documentary, feature film. I haven't listened to a lot of Beatles songs in a while. So, I found myself smiling when they came on. :music: This movie is a way to introduce the Beatles songs to a new generation of people who aren't really familiar them.

I think it really made a difference knowing the Beatles songs. There were times I was nodding at certain references. I don't know how taking kids to it, who don't know of the Beatles, would react. My suggestion is to go to YouTube and have them watch a few videos of the band actually performing some of the songs first. This way they have a frame of reference as to who the Beatles were and how they were so important to us culturally as a whole. It is a movie that I think one can take kids 10 & up to see. No illicit sex, drugs or swearing.

Here is a list of the songs played in the movie and in order. But the videos in the link are just the songs, not any performances.
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/beatles-songs-in-the-yesterday-film/

THANK GOD :worship: this movie didn't do some weird renditions or interpretations of the songs. I'm sure most of us die hard Beatles fans agree it's a sacrilege to change Beatles songs. Don't mess with our Beatles tunes! :furious: We don't get to hear the full 17 songs. Just playing them straight through would take more time than the movie, without the plot. But, when they were performed, the actor, Himesh Patel, sings them as we know them.

Here he is singing, Yesterday, on Jimmy Kimmel, as he sings it in the movie.

It's been out for a couple weeks already. My recommendation is to see it before it leaves. :cloud9:

I saw it last Thursday and (surprise! :laughing:) I pretty much agree with everything in your review, Imzadi. I was really moved by the twist in the plot...wow..what if. The music of course was wonderful, and all in all was a sweet, warm. funny and fully enjoyable movie. Two thumbs up from me :goodvibes

:rotfl2: Ask your friend ;) if she is not a fan because she's not really familiar with the music? Or not a fan because she doesn't like the music?

If she's not familiar with the music much, it's a great intro and way to get to hear some of the best music in the world. Plus, it's a sweet, funny movie.

If she's not a fan because she doesn't like the music, well, tell her she has bad taste and you are breaking off your friendship with her. :snooty: ;) :lmao:
This friend is an interesting one. She had many older siblings who played non-stop Beatles music throughout her childhood. It's a case of overload more than dislike, I believe. Like when you eat too much of any certain food and can never eat it again.

DS and I went to see it. I was skeptical but we both really loved it. He had lots of questions about The Beatles and the twist and we had a lot of good conversation around that.

This friend is an interesting one. She had many older siblings who played non-stop Beatles music throughout her childhood. It's a case of overload more than dislike, I believe. Like when you eat too much of any certain food and can never eat it again.

Hmm, :scratchin it sounds like your friend went though something similar to the secondhand smoke phenomenon, where people get sick from being around smokers who smoked too much. Only your friend was exposed to listening to secondhand music. :upsidedow :laughing:

If your friend hasn't listened to the music in a long time, enough time might have a gone by that she may have a different response to it now. Possibly a nostalgic one as she realizes the songs aren't so bad after all. And the songs are being played in a different circumstance in the movie. So her reactions may surprise her. :)

Wow, so many happy customers!

Totally disappointing for me. Thought it was completely flat. Also thought it was a waste of Lily James' talent. Saw it on its first day out - was genuinely excited to see it.

I was kind of left with the feeling of what it could have been, as a movie.

And the twist. Nope. Did not like that either. Not just didn't like, kind of grossed me out.

And I also feel as though the music could have been better highlighted. There is one scene I wanted to whip something at the screen.

Boy I sound like I am filled with such joy. :rotfl2::drinking1

But, as always, I was completely blown away with the Beatles' library. It is not like I don't know most or all of their songs but somehow I am always amazed how different each song is from another, so many exquisite choices. It really is insane - the level of talent. Every year that fact becomes more and more cemented.
And how much their work means to me. By themselves but even more - such an important connection to my brother.

-------------------

My father did firefighter duty at their first show in Toronto - unsure if that was part of their first tour in North America.

Hmm, :scratchin it sounds like your friend went though something similar to the secondhand smoke phenomenon, where people get sick from being around smokers who smoked too much. Only your friend was exposed to listening to secondhand music. :upsidedow :laughing:

If your friend hasn't listened to the music in a long time, enough time might have a gone by that she may have a different response to it now. Possibly a nostalgic one as she realizes the songs aren't so bad after all. And the songs are being played in a different circumstance in the movie. So her reactions may surprise her. :)
I think it's a great concept. Definitely going to watch it at some point.

And I also feel as though the music could have been better highlighted. There is one scene I wanted to whip something at the screen.

I'm curious, what was the scene? :scratchin Can you say? You can put it in one of those hidden Spoilers buttons. (To the right of the Smilies icon, click on the 3 dots, click on Spoiler, then write in between the code.)

Finally saw this last night, and don't know how I didn't make time to go when it was in the theaters!

Loved the movie, loved the "twist" and would totally watch it again!

I just watched it on a plane coming home from Key West. It was enjoyable, had some good parts, not a knockout for me though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!