Yes - we have your bananas! 10 days **Complete** plus my "Ultimate Meal Day"

Harambe

I miss Tapestry of Dreams!
First Dining Report EVER!
Sorry there are no pictures of our food, but my family would rather not have me snapping pictures of their meals, or them eating!​

We arrived on January 4 and departed – a few pounds heavier I’m sure – on January 13. We had a number of table service (TS) places scheduled but only did a few of those, opting to try many of the counter service (CS) places that have been improving their quality. We had an order delivered to us by Garden Grocer for our breakfast foods and coffee and ate breakfast at our 2 bedroom villa at Old Key West every morning. Well . . . our first breakfast . . .

I am the mom (57) and tour guide for my family – DH (60), DD (23), and DS (22). This was a trip to celebrate a few things – DS’s last semester of college, DD starting her master’s program, and our 25th wedding anniversary. We also figured this might be the last time we can do a trip with just the four of us before the kids scatter!

Here are the places we visited, and I will give you a quick review on each. And just to let you know, I love my COFFEE, and I am so happy that the days of Stinky Sanka are long gone at WDW. So many great cups of Joe this trip, I'll mention the best ones!

Table Service
Splitsville
Olivia's Cafe
Le Cellier
Sci-Fi Diner
Tony's​

Counter Service
Goods to Go at OKW
Columbus Harbour House
Backlot Express
Katsura Grill
Flame Tree BBQ
Pecos Bills
Yak and Yeti Local Cafe
Joy of Tea (China Pavilion)
Sommerfest
Yorkshire County Fish Shop
D-Luxe Burgers​

"Second Breakfast" and snacks
Starring Rolls
Gaston's Tavern
Starbucks
Joffrey's carts
The Confectionery (Main St MK)
Vivoli Gelato
Sunshine Seasons
The Ganachery
Be Our Guest
Royal Anandapur Tea Co (AK)
Kasafiri Bakery
Mickey Pretzels everywhere!

DAY 1

Arrived at OKW at around 11:30 and our room wasn't ready. We checked our bags, and went to Goods to Go. We are all not great fliers and only had toast at about 4:30AM, so we were hungry. DH and DD both ordered the Pulled Pork sandwich. It had a thin layer of the pork, topped with coleslaw. DS ordered the cheeseburger, which he said was perfectly fine. I had the chicken nuggets. All the meals came with the typical Disney french fries. My nuggets were big and meaty, and there were a ton of them. At about $10 for the plate of nuggets and fries, it could easily be shared! I ate what I wanted and everyone else grabbed a nugget or two.

Off to the Magic Kingdom! We arrived around 1pm and it was packed! We are seasoned park-goers but, boy, did we make a bunch of bonehead moves this trip. We normally leave a park around 1, and get out of the crowds, so walking in at that time was silly, but hey - we wanted to get to the magic! I had a couple of FP+ for early afternoon so we did those and waited in any lines that we could find that were on the shorter side. We were tired so decided to eat an early dinner and head back to OKW. Of course, we went to Columbia Harbour House, one of our favorites. Three of us got the Anchor's Aweigh Sandwich, and it was as good as ever! Fresh tuna salad, light on the mayo, served on good grain bread with lettuce and tomato. DD got the Lighthouse Sandwich, full of hummus and broccoli slaw. She loved that as well.

We stopped at The Confectionery on our way out of the park to pick up some goodies to have back at the resort. DH likes all of those Chip and Dale bags of chocolate pretzels and what-not so he grabbed a few of those. I picked up a large Mickey Head sugar cookie and a large Mickey Head chocolate chip cookie, and DD choose one of those $10 fancy dipped apple. Hey - our first day so I'm not watching the pocketbook just yet - hahahaha. We all shared everything, and decided that the sugar cookie was the best! Soft and not too sweet, and the red frosting on the ears was thin, so not overpowering. Yummy!

OKW had sent us a text with our room number so we went "home" and called bell services and asked for our luggage and our Garden Grocer order. When the food arrived, I could hear DH laughing away as the bellman came in and out of the villa with loads of heavy bags. I had ordered fruit to keep out on the table so we wouldn't totally forget our good eating habits, and since both DD and I have a banana every day, I first ordered yellow bananas for the beginning of our stay, and then ordered green bananas for the end of our stay. But some how, I ordered 10 pounds of each!!!!! So in comes 20 pounds of bananas, with the bellman looking at us like we are crazy! I hoped he may have thought we were marathoners, but I can barely run a fever, let alone a marathon!

Off to bed, then an early start the next day for EMH at Hollywood Studios

I'm cracking up at the bananas.. lmao!! Oops!! Well you could've made some banana bread or something right? Haha.. Looking forward to your reviews, my husband is dying to try Splitsville!!

Looking forward to more of your reviews! Many of these are on my list for our upcoming trip!

So in comes 20 pounds of bananas, with the bellman looking at us like we are crazy! I hoped he may have thought we were marathoners, but I can barely run a fever, let alone a marathon!

Oh my gosh, that is too funny!!! :laughing:

Looking forward to hearing the rest!

Day 2

Did EMH at HS, with me going through bag check and the fan heading to ToT and RRC. I love strolling down the street and seeing the shops without the crowds. I popped into the Trolley Car Cafe just to check it out, and saw a crowd already. I walked right through and headed over to Starring Rolls, and there were only a handful of people there! Fabulous! Plan to come here for second breakfast at some point! I went to ToT to wait for everyone, and met DH there. Turns out ToT only had two drops working so the wait was long (no FP for this) and he didn't feel like waiting, but the kids did. Hordes of people ran over to RRC so that was no bargain either. We went to the Joffrey cart right outside the ToT gift shop. So our first encounter with Joffrey's would not be our last. Coffee was great! I ordered an iced Shakin' Jamaican, which was absolutely delicious. DH grabbed a chocolate frosted donut that was about as big as his head, and he liked it. Perfectly fine. But that coffee! I was so mad because as soon as the kids came out we went to the Great Movie Ride and they wouldn't let me take the coffee into the waiting/screening room.

Outside of Great Movie ride, DD and DS grabbed a Mickey head pretzel. The cheese sauce looks bad to me - way too orange. Neither of them tried that, but said the pretzels were good. We had these throughout the week, along with our beloved Mickey Ice Cream bars. The ice cream bars are creamy, chocolatey and addictive. Just about the best thing I had the whole trip (fun game! Drink something every time I say that . . . ).

After a few more rides, we headed to Backlot Express so DS could order all the Star Wars inspired food. We usually go here every trip because it is out of the way and large enough to find a seat. Now that Star Wars has taken over all of WDW, there were more people in this area watching Jedi training, etc., but the CS still was not packed. DS got the Royal Guard burger, which he liked. He didn't notice the black bun tasting like pumpernickel. DD ordered the cheeseburger - perfectly fine, which I am calling PF from now own (goodness knows there is a lot of perfectly fine foods in Disney). DH tried the Caprese Sandwich and really liked that. Now - I ordered the Galactic Chicken Salad, and this thing was absolutely delicious. No kidding! Very fresh grilled chicken atop salad with just the right amount of black beans and avocado, and a tasty dressing. I didn't see that the dressing was already on the salad and almost ruined it by adding ranch from the condiment bar. We ordered the Star Wars cupcakes to share. And here is the first time I encountered the "Frozen" influence at WDW . . . a lot of their baked goods offerings are pretty much frozen!!!!. The Darth Vadar frosting was frozen, and the BB8 cupcake itself had frost bite. The topping on that BB8 cupcake was the weirdest thing I ate all trip - it looked like the marshmallows from Lucky Charms, but it tasted like candy corn. My mouth didn't know what was going on.

For dinner, we found ourselves in Disney Springs. I originally had ADRs at Frontera Cocina, but cancelled them once I saw just how many new places were opening up at DS. We ended up doing a walkup at Splitsville because DD wanted sushi. What a BLAST this place is! I will say it is rollicking and loud, so if you aren't up for that, skip it. The seating is wonderful, with lots of leather chairs and booths, as well as hightop tables. TVs show sporting events all around the bar. We started with a plate of Macho Nachos - huge with lots of beef, and not at all spicy. For dinner, DH ordered the pulled pork (he loves steak and ribs) and said it was good but saucy. DD changed her mind and traded the sushi for the Steak Alfredo. She said the steak was tender and the alfredo was good, but she didn't like that they poured the balsamic reduction over the whole thing. It overpowered the alfredo somewhat. I chose the Filet Sliders for my meal - they were so tender! And pretty big. I only ate one, and brought the other one home. Now, DS said, "I'm doin' it!" and ordered the Mad King Burger. It was colossal - 3 burgers and tons of toppings. They stuck a huge knife right down the middle of it, just to keep it upright! He also ordered their specialty beer for the night, a vanilla infused stout. He loved that! About 2/3 of the Mad King came home with us. I ordered coffee, and wanted cake but their cake of the day was red velvet which is about the only cake I don't go for. I went with the gluten free cupcake offering, which was a apple cupcake with caramel sauce. Lovely! And the coffee was good.

On the way back to OKW, we stopped at The Ganachery to grab some chocolates for the room. We picked out 12 pieces (which costs about $28). The chocolate was just sublime. They lasted quite awhile in the fridge, because you could not eat two pieces at once if you tried! So rich and creamy. Glad I tried them, but don't think they are a must do every trip.

NOW I NEED HELP!! How do I change the title of this thread to add the **Updated with . . .** on there! I am not savvy, like Jack Sparrow . . .

Last edited:
I have to say, I really, REALLy wish there was a picture of 20 pounds of bananas.

Thanks for the review of Backlot Express. Wasn't sure where we were going to grab QS at HS, and that might just be it!

Day 2

Did EMH at HS, with me going through bag check and the fan heading to ToT and RRC. I love strolling down the street and seeing the shops without the crowds. I popped into the Trolley Car Cafe just to check it out, and saw a crowd already. I walked right through and headed over to Starring Rolls, and there were only a handful of people there! Fabulous! Plan to come here for second breakfast at some point! I went to ToT to wait for everyone, and met DH there. Turns out ToT only had two drops working so the wait was long (no FP for this) and he didn't feel like waiting, but the kids did. Hordes of people ran over to RRC so that was no bargain either. We went to the Joffrey cart right outside the ToT gift shop. So our first encounter with Joffrey's would not be our last. Coffee was great! I ordered an iced Shakin' Jamaican, which was absolutely delicious. DH grabbed a chocolate frosted donut that was about as big as his head, and he liked it. Perfectly fine. But that coffee! I was so mad because as soon as the kids came out we went to the Great Movie Ride and they wouldn't let me take the coffee into the waiting/screening room.

Outside of Great Movie ride, DD and DS grabbed a Mickey head pretzel. The cheese sauce looks bad to me - way too orange. Neither of them tried that, but said the pretzels were good. We had these throughout the week, along with our beloved Mickey Ice Cream bars. The ice cream bars are creamy, chocolatey and addictive. Just about the best thing I had the whole trip (fun game! Drink something every time I say that . . . ).

After a few more rides, we headed to Backlot Express so DS could order all the Star Wars inspired food. We usually go here every trip because it is out of the way and large enough to find a seat. Now that Star Wars has taken over all of WDW, there were more people in this area watching Jedi training, etc., but the CS still was not packed. DS got the Royal Guard burger, which he liked. He didn't notice the black bun tasting like pumpernickel. DD ordered the cheeseburger - perfectly fine, which I am calling PF from now own (goodness knows there is a lot of perfectly fine foods in Disney). DH tried the Caprese Sandwich and really liked that. Now - I ordered the Galactic Chicken Salad, and this thing was absolutely delicious. No kidding! Very fresh grilled chicken atop salad with just the right amount of black beans and avocado, and a tasty dressing. I didn't see that the dressing was already on the salad and almost ruined it by adding ranch from the condiment bar. We ordered the Star Wars cupcakes to share. And here is the first time I encountered the "Frozen" influence at WDW . . . a lot of their baked goods offerings are pretty much frozen!!!!. The Darth Vadar frosting was frozen, and the BB8 cupcake itself had frost bite. The topping on that BB8 cupcake was the weirdest thing I ate all trip - it looked like the marshmallows from Lucky Charms, but it tasted like candy corn. My mouth didn't know what was going on.

For dinner, we found ourselves in Disney Springs. I originally had ADRs at Frontera Cocina, but cancelled them once I saw just how many new places were opening up at DS. We ended up doing a walkup at Splitsville because DD wanted sushi. What a BLAST this place is! I will say it is rollicking and loud, so if you aren't up for that, skip it. The seating is wonderful, with lots of leather chairs and booths, as well as hightop tables. TVs show sporting events all around the bar. We started with a plate of Macho Nachos - huge with lots of beef, and not at all spicy. For dinner, DH ordered the pulled pork (he loves steak and ribs) and said it was good but saucy. DD changed her mind and traded the sushi for the Steak Alfredo. She said the steak was tender and the alfredo was good, but she didn't like that they poured the balsamic reduction over the whole thing. It overpowered the alfredo somewhat. I chose the Filet Sliders for my meal - they were so tender! And pretty big. I only ate one, and brought the other one home. Now, DS said, "I'm doin' it!" and ordered the Mad King Burger. It was colossal - 3 burgers and tons of toppings. They stuck a huge knife right down the middle of it, just to keep it upright! He also ordered their specialty beer for the night, a vanilla infused stout. He loved that! About 2/3 of the Mad King came home with us. I ordered coffee, and wanted cake but their cake of the day was red velvet which is about the only cake I don't go for. I went with the gluten free cupcake offering, which was a apple cupcake with caramel sauce. Lovely! And the coffee was good.

On the way back to OKW, we stopped at The Ganachery to grab some chocolates for the room. We picked out 12 pieces (which costs about $28). The chocolate was just sublime. They lasted quite awhile in the fridge, because you could not eat two pieces at once if you tried! So rich and creamy. Glad I tried them, but don't think they are a must do every trip.

NOW I NEED HELP!! How do I change the title of this thread to add the **Updated with . . .** on there! I am not savvy, like Jack Sparrow . . .

Go to the top of your thread and hover over "Thread Tools" with your mouse, and a box will pop up with an "Edit Title" link option. Click on that and you'll be able to add your updated title :)

upload_2017-1-20_20-1-0.png

Day 3

We went to Epcot EMH this morning. DD had scheduled a phone interview for a job she really wanted for her master's program, and she graciously scheduled it between our Soarin' (which totally freaked me out!) FP+ and our Living with the Land FP+. So second breakfast was an easy choice - Sunshine Seasons. We got our food and moved way, way back in the seating so she could have some privacy. DH and I grabbed coffee (PF), and the kids got iced French Vanilla's which they said was tasty. Both DH and DS chose the Cinnamon Roll, which they liked despite the fact that it didn't have the heavy sugar glaze that tops most cinnamon rolls. DD got a chocolate chip muffin and gave it a "meh". Me, I chose - I am clicking my feet together and clapping my hands right now!!! - the strawberry shortcake. What a tiny square of BLISS! I was afraid it might be frozen like other baked goods (DD's muffin was cold), but it was the perfect temperature! The fresh strawberries, on the light cake and even lighter whipped cream - heaven!! Best thing I ate all trip (are you drinking?). Oh, and DD got the job - Woot woot!

Lunch was at the Japan pavilion, at Katsura Grill. We have always gone to the Yakatori House on our trips, and although this place has a new name, it is basically the same place but with a slightly tweaked menu. Our kids ordered the Tokyo Sushi Combo as an appetizer - they said it was fresh and tasted clean (whatever that means, I do not eat sushi). DD went with her usual Udon, her favorite, and she was happy. The rest of us tried the Chicken Cutlet Curry. I loved this dish! The curry sauce is flavorful without being too much, even though there is a lot of it. They present it layered in a bowl - rice, curry sauce, chicken to one side and the green salad to the other. I just cut up the chicken and poked that and the salad right into the sauce! If you are not a "mixer" - you know, keep you peas separate from your mashed, etc. - this might not work for you. DS wasn't crazy about this, but DH and I gave it a huge thumbs up.

This is the point in our trip that we talked about budget and decided that going with less TS and more CS made sense for us. This meal cost $75 for the four of us. Now, we did get drink, which we had not been doing as much. (We were taking waters from our room and refilling them at bubblers, and also ordering plain water at the CS which we continued doing throughout the trip, saving us a lot of $$.) So later that night we chose to cancel a handful of TS, only keeping the ones we really wanted. Unfortunately two of those were big disappointments, and I would not disagree that maybe we brought an attitude to those meal (self-fulfilling prophecy!).

We were all pretty tired from three full days of park touring so thought, with major thunderstorms coming in, and since the next day was our non-park, sleep-in day anyway, we would skip the plans we had for the evening and go back to OKW. We rented a movie from Hank's Rent-n-Return - Pirates of the Caribbean, of course. Number 4 (and not the best one, and I'm kinda mad they added Blackbeard into the POC ride. Davy Jones had place of pride on that opening water screen!!!). DH, DD, & DS all grabbed cheeseburgers (PF) from Goods to Go, while I tried the Taylor Turkey Sandwich. The sandwich was huge, and I only ate half, but it suffered from the over-refrigeration again. Luckily I was able to wrap it in a barely damp paper towel and place it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Voila! Turkey was tender and the pesto flavor came through.

Day 4

We slept like dead people, not even hearing all the weather that happened over night. It was still storming somewhat in the morning. We had a big breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast, coffee, leftover alfredo, Mad King burger, Taylor Turkey Sandwich, and sugar cookies. Gosh I love vacation!

We decided to go to Disney Springs and catch Rogue One at the big AMC theatre there. All but DH wore sweatshirts as it was still drizzling and chilly. After the movies, we went outside and found the temp had dropped about 10 degrees and was heading down. Still drizzling! Poor DH! We decided to take the bus back to OKW, even though they were running the boat, because I wanted to get him on a warm bus (and no, he could not purchase a $70 sweatshirt just because he didn't plan accordingly - haha). We stopped at the Candy Cauldron to replenish our sweets since we wiped out most of them in the morning. Oh JOY!!! They had my favorite snacks here - Minnie Character Cookies. I don't know what it is about them, for some reason they are a little soft, like stale graham crackers, and it reminds me of being a kid. So, yeah, this is who is giving you dining advice . . . . Anyway, we also grabbed some fancy popcorn, and some Malted Milk Balls for DH. Now it was raining harder, and getting colder. And in an effort to find the busses, we went down a wrong turn and I saw the gelato place I really wanted to try, Vivoli. DS went to Florence for his study abroad semester and said the gelato there was incredible, and this place has its original store in Florence so I figured they knew what they were doing. So, cold and wet, I made everyone go in and get gelato! Everyone was game, and so glad we tried it. I ordered Creama, which is basic vanilla, and it was a wonder!!! So smooth and rich and bursting with fresh vanilla flavor. DS said it was the real deal as far as comparison to Florence. I can't remember what flavors everyone else had but we were all smiling when we left.

Our dinner tonight was at our beloved Olivia's Cafe right at OKW. It breaks my heart to say this meal was subpar not in a few ways, but across the board. When we checked-in the hostess gave me a secret thumbs-up that the mini-tier cake that I ordered for our 25th anniversary was there. Great! Shame on me I guess, because I just assumed they would know what to do with it . . . Our server was a little dismissive. He didn't respond to our small talk, and when we told him we, too, where from Massachusetts, he said, "Nice" and walked away. Oh well. We started with the Conch Fritters and an order of Onion Rings. The fritters were cooked nice and crispy, but they had no seasoning at all. NONE of our food had season all during the meal. The dipping sauce couldn't camouflage the missing seasoning. DS ordered pork ribs and said the sauce was more smoky than he liked and "it needed something". DH got the steak, and said it was just okay, also missing seasoning. My Duval Burger was a huge disappointment to me. The grilled shrimp that came on top in previous trips was freshly grilled and snapped when you bit into it. This time the small shrimps on top were not grilled, and seemed to come right out of one of those frozen, cooked shrimp bags. My burger was lukewarm as well. I didn't really eat it. I asked DD how her Mahi-mahi was and she said plainy-plainy. Although the couscous underneath was tasty. Bill (not his real name but he was from Billerica, MA so that's what we called him) cleared the plates and asked if anyone wanted desserts. I thought - Here comes the cake! What a fun surprise for DH! Bill continued to stand there and waited for the dessert order - hmmmmm. Everyone orders the Banana Bread Pudding! So I say, I don't see anything that I want, so I'll have tea. And I smile at him. He comes back with my tea and says "So there's this cake back here for you, and I'm confused because everyone ordered desserts. Do you really want those desserts, or just the cake or what?" I am stunned but just laughed and said to bring the cake along with the desserts. Those cakes are tiny and would feed two, but not four people. He brings it out and says, "So is this a birthday, or anniversary, or what?" The cake plate said 25 Magical Years. I guess he was going to announce our celebration to the rest of the restaurant, but by that time we were all laughing and I said to just put the cake down. He did light a candle and we have a nice picture of it with DH and me, and a funny story. Right? Way to spin it!!! The cake was absolutely delicious. I ate the top layer and we all picked at the rest of it. The cake cost $40, but I still think it was worth it! Anyway - everyone agreed that the Banana Bread Pudding was the best thing about the meal. Hey - maybe I can make some of that with all of those bananas back at the room!

Day 5

Marathon Day - we went to MK, and endured the long bus ride due to the re-routed roads. Knew it going in, but still did it, so can't complain! We had ADR for BOG breakfast, but I only pre-ordered cupcakes and coffee. We basically only wanted to see the castle. And it was fun! We sat in the West Wing, which was cool, but very dark. I will tell you that we received a tray of the breakfast pastries while we waited for the cupcakes. Score! I ate the apple bran muffin, because it was healthy - haha. DD liked the blueberry muffin, as the top was crusted with sugar. The muffins are small, or I should say normal size, like you would make at home. Couldn't really see the "Grey Stuff" on the cupcake because of the dark room, but the cupcake was very good - not frozen at all, thank goodness. The grey stuff reminds me of a popular "cookie" that people made a few years ago that was just crushed up oreos mixed with softened cream cheese and rolled into balls, which were then dipped in chocolate. But for about $32 for the four of us, we got a pretty good second breakfast (pastries, cupcakes, PF coffee) in a fabulous setting! Don't see a need to go running back, though. Our FP+ for 7DMT was no good due to the train being down, but it came back up right as we left BOG and the family jumped right on. They liked it, but thought it was very similar in theme and function to Big Thunder.

Because we had a "Linner" (late lunch/early dinner) scheduled at LeCellier, a third breakfast was needed, and we went back to the BOG area to try out Gaston's Tavern for a snack. DS saw someone walking by us earlier with that bid 'ol cinnamon roll and had to have one. DD, DH, and I shared two of the ham and cheese pretzels. We all did our best impressions of Jim Gaffigan singing "Hot Pockets!", but they were actually just right for a quick bite to tide us over (but at $8, a little pricey). Now, that cinnamon roll was unbelievable! It was dripping with not only the white sugar glaze that we all know and love, but also a drizzle of Maple icing as well. We went back to Gaston's later in our trip to have another one of these to share.

Now to Le Cellier. Where to start . . . The day was extremely cold, only in the high 30s. We all had just sweatshirts, so we were more than ready to get out of the cold and have our dinner. We arrived at 4:15 for our 4:30 ADR. The hostess told me that they were 1/2 hour behind on their reservations (fine), so I said we would come back. She then said that I should check in, though, because if I am 15 late for my 4:30 ADR they will cancel the reservation (even though she just told me that we probably wouldn't get in before 5pm). And if I check in I cannot leave the lobby or area right outside the door. She said all this with a big smile, and totally turned me off! I said, well, if I check in now I will be waiting about 45 minutes, and since the lobby was already jammed (really small!!!!) we would be outside in the cold. She just smiled - totally passive/aggressive!! So I checked in. We lasted about ten minutes outside - we were all freezing - and decided to cram into the lobby, standing against the walkway for a good 45 minutes. DH felt bad because this was his pick and it is the only place in WS that we have never eaten at. We are finally seated, and the waitress brings us to a table way back against the wall. In order for anyone to fit into the booth part of the table we had to move the table out about 2 feet! At that point, I, sitting across from the wall, had my left shoulder about 2 inches from the back of the man sitting perpendicular to us. So far - not a good experience.

Here comes our waitress, and she was the best part of this experience! Her name was Amanda, and she was so pleasant and knowledgable, I relaxed a bit. We ordered the cheese plate and an order of poutine for DS. We also got a basket of the pretzel bread, which we all really went for!! It went well with the cheese plate, as there were only three crackers on the plate, and I like to spread the blue cheese onto something. I also ordered a pressed pot of coffee, which was lovely! But the din from the other patrons, the low ceiling, and the cramped quarters started to get to me pretty quickly. DH ordered the Ribeye, and said it was cooked perfectly, but his 'sides' were pretty non-existent. DD ordered the Filet, and is still talking about it - fabulous, best steak she has ever had, and the mushroom risotto was just as good! But DS and I ordered the chicken. I know, I know, what fool orders chicken at a steakhouse?? Anyway, it was just bad. Not rotten or anything, just a bad concept. By this time, I really needed some food, and this piece of chicken A) was baked dry, B) covered in bread crumbs but there was no crispness to it, C) supposedly filled with a sausage filling that could barely be seen. It came with "autumn hash" which was nothing more than black bits of potato, maybe acorn squash, but - and I am NOT exaggerating - I put every piece of this hash onto my fork and it was one bite! One bite! The acorn squash puree was one smear of something that resembled and tasted like applesauce. I didn't eat hardly any of it. DS didn't want his either.

At this time, the table next to us was done, and I heard them ask their waiter if they could get the Visa discount, since they began their dinner before 5pm. He said sure. Now we were also finishing up - well, DD was finishing up - and I ask Amanda if we could get the discount. She said no, because we were seated during the dinner hour, due to them being behind. I said that the table next to us just received it (and, please, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I was practically sitting at their table!!), and she said, well, that server is misinformed and that was that. I still LOVED this waitress, but that was the last straw. So the bill was well over $300 for this hit-or-miss meal, and getting $30 off for the Visa discount might have softened the blow a little. One and done for us at Le Cellier, which is good for all of you fans, since we won't take up any ADRs, right? :)

Thank goodness there were a few Mickey Ice Cream bars in the freezer back at OKW!!!

Day 6

Did Early Magic Hour at Animal Kingdom. Went right on the safari, and tons of animals were out. Our guide was also energetic, since he hadn't yet repeated his speech a bazillion times for the day. Don't know how they do it! Anyway, we did a few more things, then headed to EE to see what the wait time was. We had FP+ on a different day, but the kids thought they might try it. Long wait, so, second breakfast time! We went to the Joffrey's Tea Cart and grabbed a few muffins and two of the donuts that DH had tried at ToT. The muffins were PF, and normally size, like you'd make at home. And ice cold again, **sigh**. The boys liked the donuts, though, and everyone LOVED our beverages. DH and I ordered regular coffee, DS tried the Peppermint Mocha, and DD got a Chai Latte. She said the Chia Latte was awesome!

Lunch was at Flame Tree BBQ. DH and I shared a Pulled Pork Sandwich and a side of Onion Rings. It was plenty for the two of us. I like that it isn't loaded with meat. The onion rings were PF, while the beans were really different. I'd say they were more like chili beans than the maple/bacon beans we are used to in New England (oh, and as an aside, no one in Boston uses the term "Beantown". No one.). DS got the full rib dinner and he shared a few with us. Really love this BBQ! It is not too saucy, but not too dry, and very flavorful. DD went for the side dish of french fries with pulled pork and cheese as her lunch. It was a good sized portion, and she liked it (although it had that way to yellow cheese on it that kind of grosses me out). After lunch we did a few things then DH, DD, and DS got soft serve waffle cones. They love these and got them throughout our stay. Seemed like they always found them available. We were getting the Mickey bars over at the General Store at OKW and keeping them in the fridge at our room, so instead of getting Mickey bars in the parks, they went for the waffle cones!

We went to MK to do our FP+ for POC, Splash, and BTR. I worried because it was still a bit nippy out although so much warmer than the day before, and I didn't want the family to get wet on Splash. We had time between POC and Splash for a quick dinner, and I had planned on getting two orders of the chicken nugget and fries to share at Golden Oak Outpost (or Bird Attack Outpost as we call it), but there was a CM standing there saying they were not taking any more orders. So we went to Pecos Bills. We all ordered the Southwest Burger and it tasted PF, although it seemed smaller than other burgers around the parks. BUT, this burger is $14. Why? Because it comes with the great toppings bar! But if you don't want any of the things on the toppings bar, like we did not, it is a really bad value. Plus, you do not get fries with it, you get a handful of tortilla chips. So if you think you'd load up on that toppings bar (it did have many different items) this might be something you'd be interested in. For us, it was a simple burger that was priced a couple of bucks OVER the burgers at D-Luxe Burgers at Disney Springs. And NO comparison!

Thanks for the great details! We like to share, so it's really helpful to know what places are good fits for sharing.

On a separate note, did you find the early magic hours to be effective? We aren't really early risers, but would do a couple if it was a good use of time.

I'm glad you could drown your Le Cellier sorrows in Mickey bars!

Thanks for the great details! We like to share, so it's really helpful to know what places are good fits for sharing.

On a separate note, did you find the early magic hours to be effective? We aren't really early risers, but would do a couple if it was a good use of time.

I'm glad you could drown your Le Cellier sorrows in Mickey bars!

We love the early morning hours. We get a lot done, since the family likes to ride the big rides and I like to shop. For instance, DD was looking for a certain sweatshirt that was at every store, but she could not find a 2XL. During the EMH at MK I was able to go into one of the stores and ask if it even came in 2XL. The CM saw that she had a recent shipment, went out back to open the box and went through it for me - no 2XL. She then went into the computer to find if they even made a 2XL. No they didn't - bummer! BUT try getting that kind of service when the parks are hopping and you can't even move in the stores! I love that!

But the rides are great too. We have certain strategies that work for us. We tend to do the EMH at that park, leave right after we eat and early lunch, and save the FPs for the park we go to in the afternoon/evening!

Last edited:
Ok, I need to know. Just how many bananas are in 20 lbs? That is hilarious.

Gosh, I am still so embarrassed about all those bananas! There were four big bunches of the yellow ones and four big bunches of the green ones! We had to line them up on the counter by the dining room table, since we couldn't find a bowl big enough in our villa! Mind you, I had also ordered loads of apples for DH (he eats at least 2 a day). Good intentions, but as you can see from our daily eating adventures, we ate more treats than fruit. I will say DD and I ate a banana every morning, but I did still throw out a lot of them. So wasteful and such a dopey mistake on my part! And, no . . . I haven't eaten a banana since I've been home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter