Year of a Million Dreams swag - post here!

jlima

Beep Beep!
Please post if you received any YOAMD stuff!!

I'll go first - my family received dream ears yesterday as we were getting off the Buzz Lightyear ride.

2 questions...

What's a YOAMD SWAG?

Do you have pics of the ears??? I have no idea what those look like! :teeth:

Jealousy post ahead!!!!! :furious: :furious:

J/K---I'm very happy for you! I was disappointed we saw very, very little Dreams swag last trip to DL. I'm hoping to see more next month at DL and WDW.

Love for my kids to get some, but I'd be thrilled just to see it being given out! Wish I could've seen that lady get off Mr. Toad and get that cruise! :woohoo:

ScrapperKimmyD said:
What's a YOAMD SWAG?

Stuff the YOAMD "Prize Patrol" gives away. We saw several people with Dream Ears and a few people with the Dream Fastpass. And in the Timon parking lot I saw a sign that said "Guest Car of the Day", so somebody got a great parking spot!! ***Here it is . . . we did not get this spot; just saw it as we were getting on the tram in the Timon lot:

ec09a8fa.jpg

ScrapperKimmyD said:
Do you have pics of the ears??? I have no idea what those look like! :teeth:
As soon as I get my pic off my camera; hopefully later today!! ***Here we are:

ec09ab7b.jpg

So SWAG just means "prizes"?

Interesting. Wonder how that name came about.

but, whatever! Just swag me! pixiedust:

Getting off the Autopia last Sunday 11/5 with my DD 22mos. She was wearing her Tinkerbell costume and the CM came up to her and gave her a Tinkerbell pin that says "where dreams come true" It was attached to a card that basically said that she was given this just because, and that there were 2 pins in the package and she was to find someone else to give the 2nd pin to.

So she made friends with another little girl and that little girl had been looking for Tinkerbell all day.
So she met my DD dressed as tink and got a special pin. We were celebrating my DS5 birthday that day so it made it special for all of us.

Rapunsel said:
Getting off the Autopia last Sunday 11/5 with my DD 22mos. She was wearing her Tinkerbell costume and the CM came up to her and gave her a Tinkerbell pin that says "where dreams come true" It was attached to a card that basically said that she was given this just because, and that there were 2 pins in the package and she was to find someone else to give the 2nd pin to.

So she made friends with another little girl and that little girl had been looking for Tinkerbell all day.
So she met my DD dressed as tink and got a special pin. We were celebrating my DS5 birthday that day so it made it special for all of us.

Oh. That is sooo sweet! :love:

ScrapperKimmyD said:
anyone know why the prizes are called swags?

Dictionary.com to the rescue!!

Swag:

1. Slang.
a. plunder; booty.
b. money; valuables.

swag is the current slang for merchandise give aways. Celebrities are currently some of the biggest targets for "SWAG" as they can help sell a product if they are seen using/wearing it. The OSCARS and other awards shows, give away a collection of "SWAG", and can be worth up to $100,000. Since the IRS has ruled that they are now taxable gifts, and must be reported, the value of gettting swag has been diminished.

The closest thing I've seen to explaining where the term came from is this parpagraph.

swag

Any corporate/branded merchandise given out for free in order to promote the company/brand. Usually little trinkets or doodads, sometimes clothing, and always cheaply mass-produced. Etymology of this term most likely stems from a middle-English use of the word 'swag' often in pirate circles or other criminal circles as a euphamism for loot or plunder. How anyone can really consider the modern day definition of swag as plunder or loot (since it's worthless) is beyond understanding.

The last sentence is obviously not referring to a major prize like a cruise, but other prizes like a fastpass (100's if not 1000's given away).

On the very first day of YOAMD my girlfriend and I were in Animal Kingdom on the last day of our 8 day trip to WDW (Sept 18th I think). We'd never been to WDW before being from the northwest, its very far away.

To our surprise we won a free cupcake as part of the promotion (we weren't aware it had started) and all the workers in the front came and clapped for us and cheered, and all the cooking staff stopped cooking and did the same from the back. It happened when we ordered our breakfast (although it was around 1130am).

This contest has been highly critisized on these boards for giving away so many small things, but I have to say that it was actually pretty special the way they did it and a free cupcake is a free declicious cupcake :). I thought it was very cool and we gobbled that cupcake right up!

Oh I hope I get something! I leave in 2 days! I think it would be a dream if my son got a special pin or something!

I always thought "swag" came from either "stuff we've all got" or "stuff we all get." Not quite sure exactly where I came up with that meaning though! :confused3

Glad that some are getting some "dreams" at Disneyland, I was afraid that it would be more focused on WDW - always kinda feel more focus is there, despite my LOVE for the original! :love:

We head to Disneyland this week and I'd be really excited to see someone get something (even better if it was us!! :teeth: )

I would love to get something! We leave on Wednesday and I would be happy with a cupcake! I'll report back when I return. :thumbsup2

I wonder if they are waiting to give out the bigger prizes closer to Christmas and New Years.:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!