YAY!!Staples has their first back to school items in this Sunday's ad!!

We have 194 days that we have to be in school. 6 are PD days and the rest are instructional. Bottom line, I began school September 1st for 1 day this year, and then teachers and kids started the Tuesday after Labour Day. My High School-and graduating-daughter has her last exam on TUESDAY (June 28th). The elementary kids finish up on WEDNESDAY (June 29th), and I have a full day of meetings on THURSDAY (June 30th) Thankfully, Friday is Canada Day, and I know I won't have to go in then ;) . I wish I had your sales, btw! Hoping that something is on sale (a good one) the end of July when I am heading to Michigan for a conference.

Oh, and it may be summer, but the worst weather in my old, 3 story, UN-air-conditioned school is September. Can't imagine trying to teach in August in the building! It's hard enough to prepare the classroom with the sweat pouring down my back. :lmao:

OK. I'm totally not seeing the BTS sales? I searched several city, state combos too. What zip will let me see the sales??

Maggie

Regarding NY schools, they also get out late because the schools close during many of the Jewish holidays. I grew up there and observed many of them. They also get a lot of snow and have the Regents to follow.

I'm in PA now, and the schools don't close at the same times. It's a population difference. We also started before Labor Day and didn't have any snow days to make up. So, our district got out June 9.

I'm not seeing anything yet for the greater DC/metro, anyone else seeing anything?

I'm not understanding the hostility either. Every single year B2S sales are right after the 4th of July. There is nothing else to stock in those seasonal hot spots.

Personally, I can't wait for the school supplies to come out. I need to get everything situated before my new baby comes. Our school district has had their supply lists available online since the last day of school. Love it!

Our Targets put out the back to school stuff last week. But, we have year round schools.

I agree with the bolded above. Personally I find it strange that there are still people in school at the end of June. It's summer, people!

Year round schools! My children finish June 30. Sadly, since DS14 is entering high school, we have to say goodbye to the year round calendar. :sad1:

Just out of curiosity, when kids are in school all year, do they get any other vacations than we do throughout the year or anything like that and do they still go the same number of years? I don't mean to sound dumb but I have never known any kids that have school all year round.

Here, the school year is 180 days. The typical year round schedule is 9 weeks in, 3 weeks off. (this varies of course) Last year, my children were out 3 weeks in Oct, 3 weeks in January, 3 weeks in April, and 3 weeks in July in addition to normal holidays.

School calendars depend a large part on the region you live. It would feel odd to me to live where school starts early August. I associate summer with late June, July and August so to me its bad enough my kids are going back August 30th. We go Tuesday before Labor Day to mid June but this is the first year I can ever recall 5 snow days so the last day was June 22nd. Besides harvest season I think not having to pay for air conditioning or lack there of may contribute to July/August for our school summers. We go back the Tuesday before Labor Day, get off 1 Jewish Holiday plus Good Friday then have a week off in Feb and April and get out mid June. Personally I would just do a long weekend in Feb.

Thanks for posting. We don't get to make our own supply list and I always tell me returning parents(I teach in a multi-age classroom) what I actually need via email. Nothing worse than getting 50 boxes of kleenex when you still have 20 left from the year before or 25 boxes of ziplocs when you don't even use them. We have so much comsumable stuff left from last year that we do not need the returning kids to bring in any supplies. I wish they would give me my new student list early, but we don't get that until the week before school starts.

Zip code 42701 will let you see it

Thanks. By looking at the sale items, I feel less jealous that we didn't get the sale. I think for most of those items, they will be cheaper later in the season. The only thing that seemed like it might be a good deal is the little white board. And I don't really need those.

Maggie

Justice has backpacks, lunch bags, binders, etc. I bought my DD a matching set of what she wanted last Tuesday and her last day of school was last Thursday! I used my 40% off coupon and some J-Bucks that I had so I saved quite a bit of money. Like the salesperson said, if I wait until August, they won't have anything. So I buy when they have what she wants and hopefully it's on sale.

Not much different than buying bathing suites in the winter or winter coats in the summer.

Thanks for posting about Staples.:thumbsup2 Nothing near me yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter