Yachtsman Steakhouse - Wagyu Beef

rm5122

Earning My Ears
I've always wanted to try 100% authentic Japanese Wagyu Beef and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this if it is actually worth it? Yes, I am fully aware of its hefty price tag, but I am willing to splurge on it as I am celebrating a major milestone when I head down.

Have not tried it at Yachtsman. Have had it a couple places near home. I guess I fall in the category of "yes it is better, but not THAT much better that I would pay for it" group. I do think you should try it if you never have and are celebrating a special occasion. You may be in a different category than me and like it more. And, I would recommend you talk to your server and say you are debating getting it. The chef may come to the table to answer any of your questions. OH, and don't forget the truffles mac and cheese! It in and of itself is worth the trip to Yachtsman. pirate:

I had the Wagyu at Tiffins last year. It was my first time trying Wagyu and I thought it was fantastic. The Wagyu at Tiffins is only $53, so considerably less than what they serve at Yachtsman, however, I think if you love steak, you owe it to yourself to at least try Wagyu once.

We had wagyu at Magellan's in Tokyo DLR a couple weeks ago and it was... actually pretty bad. Like, half of it was fat bad. So I guess if you like that sort of thing... I've had Kobe here in the states that was better but as others have said filet mignon is just as good (if done properly). The filet at Yachtsman is fantastic!

There is no Wagyu beef sold in the United States. Period.

Err, OK that used to be true. Here is a list of restaurants outside Japan that have Wagyu.

I do not see Yatchsman or Tiffins on the list.
You are correct. "Wagyu" beef in America only needs to be 47% Wagyu cow in order for them to bill it as such. That's why it's often subpar, as reported above by @AquaDame.

Unless it's REAL Wagyu beef, it isn't much different from regular old beef & surely isn't worth the inflated price tag.

You are correct. "Wagyu" beef in America only needs to be 47% Wagyu cow in order for them to bill it as such. That's why it's often subpar, as reported above by @AquaDame.

Unless it's REAL Wagyu beef, it isn't much different from regular old beef & surely isn't worth the inflated price tag.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Yachtsman does a solid steak, I think Shula's is better, if you're looking for an excellent steak and meal to celebrate - it might be worth a trip to the Bull and Bear.

Regardless, happy celebration!!! I hope you celebrate the entire trip!

Completely agree. There are very few restaurants outside of Japan where I would order a dish labeled as wagyu beef. It's too often mislabeled, and it isn't worth the extra price for a steak that might only be half or less of what's being sold to me. The traditional steak at Yachtsman is quite good. I'd stick with it.

Well... this WAS in Japan. In Tokyo. I expected it to be way better... :(

Well... this WAS in Japan. In Tokyo. I expected it to be way better... :(
Oh, I misread! Apologies. Sorry you had a bad meal. The reviews of Magellan's are generally pretty positive. :(

It does have a high fat content, but that usually means "melt in your mouth," not "it was disgusting."

IMG_7692-1.jpg

I figured the marbling would melt when I've seen raw cuts but this is what we were served and it really did taste quite fatty. The rest of the meal was good, not crazy good, not even as good as our meals at Yachtsman with the exception of the dessert. That was knocked out of the park!

I had it Saturday. It's the real thing and they really make sure you enjoy it and go the extra mile for you. The beef is actually from the Miyazaki region of Japan thus why it wouldn't be listed on the Kobe list. Miyazaki has actually won the past two Wagyu beef awards. The farm is only allowed to raise 20 cattle at a time. The Wagyu is well ahead of the filet at Yachtmens. When you order it they allow you to get any side dish you want with it.
X6ZIghx_NitwDZx3coWE-i0nJrH1xMoJ2kj6NoEju1fh9_vV2mz4Rzlsl4XlVWIEBvJ6rvGLeI1TLRD-9GzIpiMo8A1cMW25iRW8151HUo1rqaboxvm21GKr3jMG9cXRCmjgPWN5fUocK73f-zrYCFAZce2sPOa_rwE0eEQqNsVOLbAAGPpp4k9yZyvqB9bsd8mmWtKWHWQ53-L6ei-bfKsb_3CGR_RwHXckSVhWDH6eeNSFCXhmZLzzuytIdhIUrh1xRXug1UOjbGRa9JqSJXSsqiV1jkUiW_RGaFOvvoQh9XRTkmQSBiwpxAVGpUlebl6JqgUC0FDmxbyVRSUHKKIT7p--ctsg3hH8hXMo8_bSicZEVvrtLl5u81H3vMOMkrnSOvmY-Zzx4Y-owq0C7VhNYN_9a2WQZdW_zy0TvzyegZ1evVusFhKt28X0piuCoqF0IwGVNkueSe7Hz7zUq25_-X1SIHLMLIjSrTE1_fmBpxoNSzI7UCsW_zReLqo6bYS2qchW4KOqQL69nKS1J8xNOTmiDWx6zJ8zbFXPzFAqb_kd_wKAVMrft1D8XxBbVkX_-wbunWhHopA3HmP0co51uSY0rDShtQx3Qa2LO-EBRA=w731-h974-no

Has anyone had the Wagyu strip from Jiko? I wanted to try the Wagyu at Yachtsman's but can't see paying the upcharge of $75 for the DXDP when we're also eating at Jiko and it's on the menu there.

I noticed at Flying Fish they have Wagyu Filet. Is there a reason why this is half the cost of the one at Yachtsman? Is it not as good?

The Wagyu at Yachtsman is the same quality as the Wagyu at Victoria and Alberts graded A5 with a marbling score of 8-12+ Tiffins/Cali Grill/FF/Jiko isn't the same quality. Morimoto Asia also has A5 available. I'd at least get it cooked Medium Rare plus to Medium to give time for some of the fat to melt.

Any wagyu not $25-$40 an ounce and not explicitly stated as A5 is americanized wagyu. Disney's main supplier for non-A5 seems to be Snake River Farms for their American "Wagyu" with California Grill and Tiffin's previously explicitly advertising the supplier on the menu.

Victoria and Albert's also has Australian Kobe, which is at times the default beef course selection but they seem to be the only ones that carry that.

Last edited:
We just had a meal at Flying Fish to celebrate our 25th. I had the Wagyu beef, it was delicious. My husband took a picture because I never finish everything on my dish but this was so good I couldn't help but finish it all. Our whole meal overall was amazing and ended up switching things around so I could go back again with the kids this summer. Food amazing, our server, Joey, was the best and it was a wonderful night.

18553735_10212450981326911_1421981055_o.jpg 18575003_10212450981286910_899242825_o.jpg

I just had the Wagyu at Flying Fish and it was NOT nearly as good as the char-crusted NY Strip they used to have. Pretty fatty actually.

Most definitely NOT worth the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter