X Atencio famous Disney Imagineer has passed away

I feel fortunate that I was able to attend a Q&A and meet X several years ago. It was just this past Saturday night that I was at a Disneyana Fan Club meeting and we were talking about the imagineers of a lot of classic attractions getting up there in age. X was named specifically.

X Atencio was one of the imagineers that developed the "we wants the redhead" scene in POTC that's now scheduled to be changed. He supposedly said after hearing of the change that "Pirates" was now being changed to "Boy scouts of the Caribbean".

Atencio is really a key figure in ride development and building the legacy in parks that they exploit us...I mean "provide great value for the price"...to this very day.

X Atencio was one of the imagineers that developed the "we wants the redhead" scene in POTC that's now scheduled to be changed. He supposedly said after hearing of the change that "Pirates" was now being changed to "Boy scouts of the Caribbean".
sorry to hear this news. We also attended a meet & greet in California and had the pleasure of
having Atencio gives his "Boy Scouts of the Caribbean" take on the changes.

Wow... after a phenomenal trip this is not what I wanted to see. Another legend gone. He contributed so much to Pirates and Mansion and helped make them Disney's ultimate dark rides.

I believe Bob Gurr is the last one alive who ever worked with Walt.

Joe Rohde is that exception.

just be prepared for responses disagreeing with you ;)

All these great Imagineers with direct links to Walt are just about all gone. With a few exceptions, we shall not see the likes of them again in the company I'm afraid.

Wow... after a phenomenal trip this is not what I wanted to see. Another legend gone. He contributed so much to Pirates and Mansion and helped make them Disney's ultimate dark rides.

I believe Bob Gurr is the last one alive who ever worked with Walt.

I think a lot of the time the top ones you don't find out about the impact they had until after the fact. That said, in addition to Joe, Tony Baxter is still involved to some extent, and John Lasseter is technically part of Imagineering. You have Tom Fitzgerald who actually worked with X Atencio and is a main imagineer at Disneyland in CA and the one in Paris and is overseeing the EPCOT redo. Jason Roberts is a show producer who has worked on a lot of things. I think just a lot of things aren't credited to one person but the team but after the fact it comes out more who did what.

Don't get me wrong, it is sad we are losing these greats that have that direct contact to Walt. Flloyd Norman is still alive and worded directly with Walt, one other example I can think of

I think Joe Rohde is incredible. I just wish he wasn't in charge. I think he's gone "all in" on ambience, and I don't think that is what Disney customers really want. Disney theme park customers want good, themed, innovative rides. It's why people come. Magic Kingdom is the most popular park not because people like to look at the architecture of Pinocchio Brahaus, but because they want to go on Peter Pan. The theming of the exterior of Haunted House is great, but the ride is better. NFL has almost no ambiance, but people jam it up for Mine Train and Little Mermaid and Dumbo.

And then we come to Joe Rohde projects. Animal Kingdom is gorgeous. One of the most beautiful theme parks anywhere. But it's a massive attendance laggard because it had, for years, 3 interesting rides and whatever you want to call Khali River Rapids and the kiddie carnival. Now you can add 2(?) more, but again, the money in Pandora was spent making the beautiful scenery, while the rides got cut from 3 to 2, then to 1.5, then to 1.5 with a single animatronic.

I love Joe Rohde. He does beautiful work. Let him design hotels and restaurants and give him a no break budget for expansions for the ambience. But for the love of all that is special and holy about Disney Parks, let someone else have the majority of the budget to design killer rides. It's really why people are paying the money.

And for those that point out Everest, I agree he did excellent work. It's a beautiful ride and was truly awesome when the Yeti worked. I'm not willing to blame the broken Yeti on Rohde, but I am willing to say that it was a very specific project. Add a rollercoaster to AK. Again, it goes along the lines of Rohde not being in charge. Give him a specific goal, a specific unbreakable budget, and tell him what needs to happen and the work is great. Allow him to roam free and you get Disney videos about Imagineers trekking across Nepal, parks without attractions, beautiful buildings like those along the Asian trail, and parks with limited attendance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter