Wyndham Bonnet Creek - Roaches?

tanyaandallie

DIS Veteran
If you stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, did you have roaches in your room? This is the one issue holding me back from booking there. I live in Texas, I understand that roaches exist as we have huge roaches here. BUT, I really do not want to see them in my hotel room. We have been to Disney numerous times and never had a problem with roaches.

It's a complaint I've seen a few times about this resort. I'd love to hear from those of you that have stayed at WBC!!!!

We have stayed there about 4 times now the recent most being in March, we have never seen anything. We are planning on another trip in a couple of weeks, I think you are fine.:thumbsup2

If there are roaches appearing between pest spraying may just mean the reort needs to make regular spraying at closer intervels.

We have a professional service that come to our condo building which is located in Hawaii.

What can be an issue is if there are guests in the room that because of health reasons can not be in a newly sprayed room. For cases like this I know the hotel waits until the guest leaves then sprays with chemicals an ordinary person can use. This means that room missed a rotation of the licened spray service. I would ask when the last pest service was and make sure your room was in the rotation. Housekeeeping will have a record of this type of service so front desk would just need to take a few mins to get info for you.

Make sure you are not attracting pests to your room always put foods in plastic containers. I always carry zip locks for lefts overs even the ones I put in the refrig. Empty garbage every evening if you tossed crumbs, peelings, and even wrappers in garbage. I love garbage chutes but defiitely do not accept a room next to or across the hall from the gargage chute.

Pests of one of the down sides to visiting the paradise states.

What I've heard most often here on the DIS are people reporting Roaches, but when asked to describe the bugs they are actually the Palmetto bugs that are all over Florida and impossible to keep out. Palmetto bugs may look like a larger roach, but they are flying bugs which may "visit" your room, but aren't likely to be taking residence there and actually infesting the area. Since most pest control utilizes sprays which create barriers around entrances (windows, doors, etc), It is much more difficult to protect against flying bugs who can easily bypass the sprayed surfaces.

I honestly wouldn't worry about a roach problem at this resort. I've stayed there multiple times and never seen any signs of infestations. There have also been numerous DIS members who have stayed there over the past several years, and only a few have reported anything roach-like, which several have been the a fore mentioned Palmetto bugs.

There might be a higher chance of some garden type variety bugs on the ground / lowest floors.

My stay on the ninth floor = no indication of any type of bugs (5/2012)

What I've heard most often here on the DIS are people reporting Roaches, but when asked to describe the bugs they are actually the Palmetto bugs that are all over Florida and impossible to keep out. Palmetto bugs may look like a larger roach, but they are flying bugs which may "visit" your room, but aren't likely to be taking residence there and actually infesting the area. Since most pest control utilizes sprays which create barriers around entrances (windows, doors, etc), It is much more difficult to protect against flying bugs who can easily bypass the sprayed surfaces.

I honestly wouldn't worry about a roach problem at this resort. I've stayed there multiple times and never seen any signs of infestations. There have also been numerous DIS members who have stayed there over the past several years, and only a few have reported anything roach-like, which several have been the a fore mentioned Palmetto bugs.

Palmetto bugs=roaches

It only takes one person leaving the balcony door open for a few minutes for them to come in a room. I've seen them at AKL in our room.

Denise in MI

We've been to Bonnet Creek 10 or more times since it opened and I have never seen a roach or Palmetto bug inside the unit. We have them here in MS so I know what they look like.

As someone who lives in the Northern US, I'm not quite accustomed to large bugs (and I must admit to being a 58 yr old guy who will scream at the sight of a spider).

We stayed in a very nice, clean timeshare in Williamsburg, VA last summer and had a problem with very large spiders. We went to Kmart and bought Spider Spray (liivng in NY I didn't even know there WAS such a thing as Spider Spray!

I expect to encounter some large insects when we visit Bonnet Creek this summer, just hopefully not in our room!

I must admit this is something that concerns me a bit, as I have seen several reviews on TripAdvisor mentioning roaches at WBC. But with that said, a friend has had roaches in her DVC unit twice now. I have never seen a roach in any regular Disney rooms and we have stayed on the ground floor of values several times; I'm assuming it probably has something to do with rooms with food prep areas.

My kids always like to stay on high floors no matter where we go, so I will definitely be requesting this at WBC. I don't have enough familiarity to know if they get worse at certain times of the year (like summer). But it would be nice if that's the case, since we're going in December. :lmao:

DH saw one Palmetto bugs=roaches at the Dolphin - near the door to the pool area.
Freaked him out - none that big here in the NE

you will have bugs - that goes with florida.

now the higher the room the less chance of Palmetto bugs are all over the south - along with the smaller regular roach.

the winters for several years have not been bad enough to kill them off.

so they are around. If you get a higher floor, not near the pool, lake (although definitely harder to avoid), any woods - then you probably won't have any.

but no guarantees.

Palmetto bugs are definitely harder to kill than regular roaches - because they live outside - not inside.

since I don't want to have a bunch of poisons around me - just spray outside and that does discourage them.

Ooohh the pesky ugly Palmetto bug, fancy name for BIG flying ROACH! And as much as I despise em' they are natural in Florida & like fruit trees, wooded areas and humidity, and yes sometimes you have them fly in, crawl in (yuck) & they have a harder exterior making them harder to squash :-(
I remember living in South Florida they invaded mango tree & I was terrified of them & my Grandpa was oblivious to them and crushed then with the shopping cart from Winn Dixie I would cringe!!!!
But Palmetto Bugs are not the same as small roaches that normally you think of in dirty, unmaintained place....but still wouldn't want them in my hotel room or condo.

I've also seen the recent reports of roaches/palmetto bugs at WBC. My last stay was in May 2011 and I noticed that the cleanliness/quality of furnishings were going downhill as compared to earlier stays.

These 2 factors have prevented me from booking another stay here.

To help keep out the flying palmetto bugs, I think that a screened in lanai/balcony is a nice option. They have this at Sheraton Vistana Resort, Bluegreen The Fountains and a couple of HGVCs.

We stayed there in June and we had 3 American cockroaches (Palmetto bugs for those who think it sounds better) in our room. No they were not the small German roaches associated with uncleanliness, but they were creepy just the same. I read they can run 3 miles per hour and I can verify as I seen one little guy in action. I yelled to my daughter that he was heading towards her door, she slam it shut but of course he went right under with her standing on the other side. My son-in-law tried to step on it and it came out between his toes. We are still laughing about it!

Arrived back home today after a great 8-night stay at Bonnet Creek. Did not see any bugs of any type in our sparkling clean two-bedroom unit. In fact, I never even saw a bug on our 3rd floor balcony.

The grounds were really beautiful, and my teenagers loved the pools. Gabby at the front desk was amazing, and helped to find us a lake view unit in building six after spending three nights overlooking the parking lot in building 4.

We missed the convenience of our favorite WDW resort (Beach Club), but with the kids now older we simply had to find accommodations with more space. WBC really fit the bill nicely, and for a boatload less $$.

Thanks to all on the Bonnet Creek thread for the great information! BTW, no one should let the "parking pass" sales pitch be a factor in deciding whether to stay at WBC. It really was a pain free 30 seconds (just be firm in your "not interested" response).

So glad I found this post...didnt' even consider the bugs...now maybe I won't be as shocked!

I also really appreciate the parking pass comment..I was concerned about this...we are booked, but my husband doesn't seem to care, but it will add up with everything else...going to check that post next.

Thanks everyone for the great info!

We're here now (tower 1, sixth floor) and there is a dead roach (not palmetto bug, reg ny size roach) in the hallway. So far none in our room or alive.

We were there last year for a week and absolutely saw no roaches, or other insects in our room. My wife has real issues with "creepy crawlies", inside or outside the grounds. Beautiful, clean resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter