WWYD - Swimming Pool Install

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
We are looking at getting a pool installed at our house. Probably inground or semi-inground. We are going to pay cash, which won’t be available until August, which is fine because that is how far out all the installers are booked. So here is my question: would you have the pool installed in the fall and just let it sit all winter, or would you go for a spring install next year? We are in the Midwest, so it won’t be used this winter. I’m not sure if it would be cheaper to install in fall or spring?

I live midwest. I got my pool before the season, and thought I got a good deal and am happy. It is above ground.
My friend had a pool before, she moved to a new house, she inquired where I bought my pool, while I was standing there; Because it was the end of the season the guy said “sorry” to me and said to her he could offer her a couple thousand off for the same pool to be installed at the end of the season. And free stairs and pool cleaner machine . But she would of been purchasing it at the end of the season.

We have 16 x 33 oval. Cost around $6000 with installment. pool heater and installed gas line, over 100 feet- around $1000. Deck and fence around $5000.
One side of the pool is inground 2 feet. Had it, I’d guess, 7 years.

I do wish I would of gone in ground.

I believe it would be cheaper to buy at end of season and then install when they would give you the best deal, since it will not be for this season.

Just guessing, but I could see where it would be cheaper to install in the fall (when compared to the spring). In the spring, there's not going to be a fixed time when they could start (depending on weather). So all of those people who are hoping to get one installed in the spring are sort of fighting against each other. However, in the fall, there's probably not many looking to build one then, so you could probably get a good deal.

Why not simply talk to the construction folks in your area and ask them for a quote for one to be built in the fall, and the identical one to be built in the spring?

One thing to keep in mind is the cost of maintaining the pool during the fall, winter, and, spring when you can't use it. Will you have a hot tub? If so, you'll be able to use that during the winter and fall.

Our home came with a pool- 18 foot round about 2 foot sunk in ground and 2 foot above ground. Just from experience from when we opened and closed each season, If you get it in August, you will be filling and having to balance chemicals only to have to release water a couple of weeks later below the filter, then buy/install closing kit for the winter. If there are any trees around the pool or from the neighbor's yard, you will also be scooping out leaves daily to keep the water clean and in chemical balance. That being said from the crazy weather we have been having you could possibly get a few more weeks use before you have to close. Also if you have kids you will want to factor in what goes with school schedules for how much use you will get this season. Regular maintenance in addition to whatever school schedules bring still needs tending. Checking chemicals daily is the best way to keep your pool from becoming a real headache. Again with the virus who knows if and when that will happen. One other thing to check is your home owners insurance. Pool generally are not covered and require extra insurance as well as accident insurance in case someone is injured on your property.
After DH died, I got rid of the pool for aging/maintenance as well as insurance purposes. We had new neighbor, which thankfully were foreclosed. Their kids would use their trampoline to sit or climb over the top of a six foot fence around our property. I was constantly telling them to get off the fence before they fell. The parents didn't care what they did as long as they were not under foot.

Last edited:
Assuming the OP gets a pool built in the fall, would there be any benefit (or detriment) to not putting any water in until the spring (leave it dry)?

I live in Texas and pool companies don’t typically offer a different price for spring or fall install. Keep in mind that the process can take a long time. We started getting quotes in December and are 9 weeks into install with several more to go. That can vary drastically depending on what kind of pool you are getting. We were quoted 6-8 weeks for permits and 10-12 weeks for install and it is taking even longer than that.

One thing to keep in mind is the cost of maintaining the pool during the fall, winter, and, spring when you can't use it. Will you have a hot tub? If so, you'll be able to use that during the winter and fall.
There is no cost, at least here in the north east, pools get opened around Memorial Day and closed around Labor Day.

I think you'd probably want to discuss that with the particular installers. Much may depend on the harshness of winter, the up and downs of the temperatures, etc IF that will even impact the building materials assuming the pool just won't get used at all until the following spring. Storage during the fall and winter I wouldn't worry about normally it's just this being a newly installed pool that would just sit dry without being used as soon as it was built (if that was the plan). That's just a conversation you'd need to have with the installers-they know your area, they know the conditions better and the materials they use.

The only downside is weather to waiting. Last year for spring was the worst darn year it seemed for rain in my area so darn rainy. Neighbor had his pool started and it was delayed on completion until July (original date was a week before Memorial Day) because the bobcats couldn't get into his backyard with all the mud that the rains made. Now normally this wouldn't be as big of a problem but it was last year. Neighbor was able to use his pool but just much later than he hoped.

I think your only cost is going to be the cover over the pool if you get one (which is a good idea if you have trees near you) and refilling the pool back up in the spring after draining it the last time you used it. There may be some residual upkeep to the pumps but I believe most pool owners here would be doing winterizing much like you'd be doing for your sprinkler system. I'm not a pool expert though so it's possible there's a lot more going on than I know. Our neighborhood pool doesn't seem to have much upkeep when it's closed other than costs for the City to come out and inspect it before it can be open in the spring (usually follows Memorial Day to Labor Day schedule) and residual upkeep costs on cracks, chairs and the kiddle pool area that has one of those mushroom water features.

After many good years with it, our above ground pool broke during a storm in 2018. We went without one last summer but decided we missed it. So last fall when they went on clearance we bought another, plus they took another 30% off because we had bought the one that broke there before. We also decided to install it ourselves (seeing how they did it the first time) and we did it and filled it with water last fall. (@sam_gordon it would’ve fallen in on itself during the winter without water; as it was we were worried leaving it just for a few days with the wind.) All DH did was put some chemicals in then cover it up. It’s ready to be opened tomorrow. I think doing it in the fall was a good move as there was no craziness with it this spring. Booking appointments can be long in the spring. Good luck, sounds nice OP!

Thanks. That makes sense for an above ground pool. Would an in ground be better suited for leaving empty?
DH grew up with an inground pool. He said you should leave water in it because it helps protect it during the winter.

I found this online:

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Actually, it's not good to leave your pool empty when the weather gets cold. Leaving your pool filled with water can help prevent your vinyl or concrete foundation from being damaged.

Others may have different experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter