WWYD re:kids weight

Unfortunately, people are creatures of habit, and wanna eat what they think they like, and can find ways to justify their choices.
The common daily diet of processed sugars, salt, processed fats, processed carbs, and hey, throw in toxic diet soda, skim milk, and processed so-called 'meat'.....
Sorry, but this is just one of my 'issues'....
I will climb off of my soap-box now!!!!

The processed foods from five years ago are a totally different monster than the processed foods we had ten years ago; and definitely a MASSIVE change from the processed foods of the 60's-80's. What with non-GMO, different additives, different flavorings, dyes and colors, preservatives, etc... It just keeps getting worse and worse. The calorie count of what an average American ate in a daily allowance only 50 years ago is shocking. Your great-grandparents didn't survive starvation in the Great Depression by guzzling Tang by the liter, they ate REAL LARD. ;) No fun when you don't like the collard greens let alone the lard in them. But it was real food, compared to say, today's Lean Cuisine in a frozen freezer case.

I figure a Jiffy Muffin Mix dug out from the back of Grandma's Pantry (with an expiration date in 1964!) is probably MORE nutritious and healthy than a Whole Foods Organic Muffin Mix pumped off the factory line last week. We just have too much population to equitably provide full shelves at Walmart and cases of frozen patties at fastfood places, too much shrinkage and loss in the food manufacturing, and the inability to distribute and re-distribute products in a timely manner, to be able to provide, "Nutritious Food From a Box". Plus all the marketing buzzwords! Everyone's green, organic, healthy, natural, complete and holistic. It's a carrot, people! It had better be...
Our great grandparents and grandparents were able to eat real lard and have high calorie counts because they never stopped moving from sun up to sun down. A lot of them also died young of things like heart disease. The 50's-60's were the dawn of boxed/frozen/convenience foods, they sure did use them and eat them. Many dyes and preservatives from back then are no longer used because they were found to be not so good for ya and were replaced with safer ones. I'm not advocating convenience foods one way or the other or saying you shouldn't eat wholesome food whenever you can but I find this logic very flawed. Obesity is not an epidemic because of boxed food it's because people are eating ridiculous amounts of food and moving a LOT LESS than ever before.

There's nothing wrong with egg yolks or whole milk. There is plenty wrong with slim jims. Why aren't cheese sticks allowed in the house?

In your list of foods that your daughter eats, I didn't see any protein (except for 2 meatballs) or vegetables. There seems to be an awful lot of carbs, which will make her feel hungry all the time because they are metabolized into blood sugar too fast.

Exactly!

I believe there's a child with a milk allergy in the house. But that doesn't mean Slim Jims are his only option. A hunk of roasted turkey or chicken is far preferable to the ground up offal, sugar, salt, preservatives and filler that's in a Slim Jim. I'm not saying people should never eat the delicious things, but they should never be your go-to snack.

Sounds exactly like my middle daughter. She came out at over 9lbs and was solid. Always out side the normal growth chart. We didn't eat as healthy as we should have, like you said, it got so very expensive and she wouldn't eat it anyway. My other two dd's were very skinny. She just seemed to take after the Czech side of my family :) I don't know how much money I threw away in food!! Now at nearly 22 she has taken to exercising and eating healthy all on her own. She eats broccoli everyday for lunch!! I don't know how she does it!!

That is why every kid is different. My kids don't have issues with sugar thankfully! Muffins are the ones I make from scratch-either pumpkin, zucchini or blueberry. Pop tarts are not daily. Cereal varies between sugary stuff and non sugary. A variety is important I think. I don't have time to make omlets in the am, plus I have made one with cheese and she despises it...yet she loves cheese! So no cheese sticks are allowed in my house-theyet even with in a day or two. School snacks are cut up ones and need to be quick so while 2 choices is great it's not ideal so it's just fruit-cut up apple, frozen grapes, oranges (2 clementines), banana. On occasion a yogurt. But again a variety because the same thing gets boring. I won't do eggs for a snack, she would kill me if I took out the yolk! An eggs more a meal in my house.

I think she is more bored then hungry.

As far as my son, we give him the slim jims before he gets a headache. Like if we are out an about and he hasn't eaten in a few hours "eat a slim Jim" and it prevents them from coming. He won't eat hummus, I am not a huge fan either, I only like one kind and he can't have cheese sticks as he is allergic to dairy, peanuts, tree nuts and egg whites...although he is slowly outgrowing and can have the expensive nuts-pistachios, almonds and cashews and can now eat cooked cheese but can't have a slice of cheese, milk, dairy ice cream...

Thanks...

Several points, in no particular order...

There's nothing "balanced" about alternating between sugary and non-sugary cereal. Balanced means a balance of complex carbs, protein, veggies, fruit and fiber. It doesn't mean 50 percent junk food and 50 percent "healthy" food.

There IS such a thing as too much fruit. Excess dietary sugar, besides messing with your blood sugar, is converted to fat in your body. See above, balance.

Instead of Slim Jims, which are just plain bad for everyone and should only be very, very occasional treats (ie, one every few months at most), try switching to a rolled up slice of roasted turkey or chicken.

Why would you take the yolk out of the child's egg? A hard boiled egg is just about a perfect snack, in terms of vitamin content, protein and good cholesterol. She's a child, she doesn't need to worry about her cholesterol yet, and it won't make her fat.

I understand your issues with time. How about making breakfast the night before? https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Healthy-Breakfast-Ideas-You-Can-Make-Night-Before-20048633

I love making muffins, too. Putting pumpkin or zucchini in a muffin does not make it healthy, when it also includes white sugar (or honey or molasses) and white flour.

Honestly, I think you should talk to a nutritionist. Ask your doctor for a referral. A nutritionist will be able to create a balanced meal plan for you that's healthier for your kids and takes into account your time constraints and your family's complicated dietary needs.

Look for recipes for refrigerator oatmeal! SO tasty!!

I know!! I'll make up three days' worth at a time for the whole family, and they're so quick and easy in the morning! :)

Here's my favourite version...

Refrigerator Oats

1/3 cup rolled oat

1/3 cup milk (at least 2% - the whole point is to get some of the good fats in, so you don't feel hungry later)

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/2 tablespoon unsweetened peanut butter (not the low cal or diabetic stuff with fake sugar, but the genuinely unsweetened kind) Also good: Cashew butter, almond butter, basically any kind of nut butter.

1 teaspoon honey

1/2 cup frozen blueberries

Mix it up in a jar, let it sit overnight and all you have to do is grab it in the morning!

You don't need to serve anything else with it, it's a complete meal all by itself. Feel free to vary the fruit and sub in different kinds of nut butters (such as cashew butter, and almond butter). The weird nut butters can be expensive, but when you're using only 1/2 tbsp per person, it goes a long way.

Edited to add:

An alternate version, without nut butter

1/3 cup rolled oat

1/3 cup milk

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1 teaspoon honey

1 tablespoon raisins

a quarter of an apple diced

a pinch of cinnamon

Last edited:

Changing completely from what the child eats now to omelettes and oatmeal is going to just result in the kid eating nothing and that's not the answer either.

It doesn't have to be 100% one way or the other. Make the muffin the child will eat and add some healthy things. If you can make it taste the same with sugar alternatives, fine but I wouldn't go too crazy.

Op, talk to your child's dr. Find out what he/she suggests if anything at all.

Op, I've been studying nutrition for almost 5 years. I beg you to see a nutritionist. Your doctor is not a nutritionist nor should you expect him/her to be one. Most of the information given to you on this thread is making me crazy. Of course everyone means well but it's no accident that most of Americans are overweight.

I applaud you for seeking help and understanding you need to do something about it. Please, at the very least don't "do nothing". Killing them with kindness is not the answer. Healthy changes for the way the family eats is how you should proceed. A nutritionist can steer you to the right path.

Op, I've been studying nutrition for almost 5 years. I beg you to see a nutritionist. Your doctor is not a nutritionist nor should you expect him/her to be one. Most of the information given to you on this thread is making me crazy. Of course everyone means well but it's no accident that most of Americans are overweight.

I applaud you for seeking help and understanding you need to do something about it. Please, at the very least don't "do nothing". Killing them with kindness is not the answer. Healthy changes for the way the family eats is how you should proceed. A nutritionist can steer you to the right path.
Are you a certified dietitian? Because if you're not your opinion on nutrition isn't any more valid than anyone else's here. The OP should see a dietitian not a nutritionist. I can become a nutritionist in the time it takes me to look it up on the inter webs and pay the fee for a certificate. A dietitian has to actually study nutrition and earn a degree. While there's some outdated thought processes going on there's actually a lot of solid advice in this thread. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong.

Are you a certified dietitian? Because if you're not your opinion on nutrition isn't any more valid than anyone else's here. The OP should see a dietitian not a nutritionist. I can become a nutritionist in the time it takes me to look it up on the inter webs and pay the fee for a certificate. A dietitian has to actually study nutrition and earn a degree. While there's some outdated thought processes going on there's actually a lot of solid advice in this thread. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong.

I have multiple certifications in nutrition and diet. How dare you insinuate that my 300 hours plus not be enough to comment here. That's exactly why I told the OP to see a nutritionist. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you or anyone here.

I have 3 little girls. The middle one will be 7 at the end of the summer. She just weighed herself today and is over 70 lbs. I'm getting a little concerned but I don't know what to do about it. She is a very solid child and really only the torso/belly region looks overweight. She was diagnosed as allergic to dairy, soy, wheat and some other stuff when she was a baby but the only reaction we noticed was eczema which she no longer gets. She doesn't eat constantly and I have been working on cutting back portion size. She also just learned how to ride a bike and is loving that but we have to travel to a place for her to ride and that's not very often convenient. We also recently joined the Y and she is loving the pool but mostly just for playing around. She does not like being outside at all and our house is rather small so not a whole lot of physical activity going on inside. I'm kind of at a loss here. It's getting difficult to find clothing that fits her well and she's getting to the age where kids are going to start being mean. Her doctor is completely useless in this area. She wrote 'overweight' on a school form 2 years ago but didn't mention one word to us about her weight. I guess a large part of the issue is that I feel like I don't have the time to cater to the physical activity that she's interested in and I don't have the money to push healthier eating (when I buy fruits and veggies and let them have unlimited access, it rarely gets touched). Any ideas or suggestions? The other 2 kids are somewhere around 50% for weight and endless balls of energy.

What you 'shouldn't' do is single her out! You didn't mention if her parents are overweight, but that does factor in usually in what's available around the house to eat/snack on.

I would definitely fix healthy meals, as much from scratch as possible and have scaled down desserts/snacks with lower calorie content.

At her age, the 'fix' is definitely on the parents! Just don't bring as much 'junk' into the house and limit snacking to certain times.

Don't make a big thing of it - just do it -it needs to be 'nipped in the bud' early - good luck!

I have multiple certifications in nutrition and diet. How dare you insinuate that my 300 hours plus not be enough to comment here. That's exactly why I told the OP to see a nutritionist. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you or anyone here.
Wow, take a step back. You came here, insinuated that everyone attempting to offer friendly advice were "making you crazy", and then you get offended when PP simply mentions the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist.

We are on the internet. Anyone can claim to be anything. She wasn't wrong to suggest a dietitian.

And a lot of the advice (less sugar, more protein) seem to be tried and true suggestions.

Wow, take a step back. You came here, insinuated that everyone attempting to offer friendly advice were "making you crazy", and then you get offended when PP simply mentions the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist.

We are on the internet. Anyone can claim to be anything. She wasn't wrong to suggest a dietitian.

And a lot of the advice (less sugar, more protein) seem to be tried and true suggestions.

I should take a step back? That's the problem with the internet. Every single person is giving the OP a different way to do things and none are experts. It's dangerous to put your kids life in the hands of the internet experts.

I should take a step back? That's the problem with the internet. Every single person is giving the OP a different way to do things and none are experts. It's dangerous to put your kids life in the hands of the internet experts.
The title of the thread is literally "what would you do?" People are saying what they would.

The title of the thread is not "tell me how to experiment with my child''s diet!" She's seeking advice from other parents. I would assume, if she is really concerned, she will ask her pediatrician for advice.

Pray tell, what advice was given here that is specifically "dangerous"?

I didn't insinuate anything. I said your opinion is not any more valid than anyone else's here and IMO it's not. Like the rest of us the OP will have to filter the good from the bad and make the decisions that are right for her lifestyle and her family. IMO if she's going to see a professional it should be someone with a degree, that's a dietitian.

Her dr may not be a nutritionist but her dr can tell her what, if anything, she can do. Everyone is assuming the child is overweight without even seeing the child. We have no idea if she is truly overweight. If the dr says yes she needs to get some weight off then he/she can recommend who she see next.

What she certainly does not need to do is make some extreme changes all at one time. That will backfire.

Adding activity and making it family activity is easy and doesn't make the child feel like she is being punished. And that may be all she needs to do.

Everybody here is an expert in their own experiences and bodies. They are sharing their experiences of what works for them and their family. Nutrition really isn't a once size fits all program and the more they research and study, the more they are finding fallacy with the axioms of diet and obesity.

I won't doubt that you're an expert but I can guarantee not every expert agrees on what the right approach to nutrition is either. This isn't a "my child is unconscious, what should I do?" Thread. To say OP is putting her kid's life in the hands of the internet is a bit extreme.

I grew up in the "Snackwell" era where nutritionists (and even dietitians) were telling you that sugar is fine-fat is bad. Everything was low-fat. I have no doubt that diet as child messed up my body's handling of carbs but that's a different story for a different day lol. Many nutritionists have come to see the error in this thinking but there are still all sorts of philosophies around macro nutrients vs calories, etc.

As far as the scientific community is concerned there is no one unanimously help belief on what is correct.

I agree also with the pp that said 'moderation'! My Mom used to tell us that - I 'still' live by that and keep a healthy weight! I will never tell myself I 'can't' have any particular food, because then that's what I'll crave! :tilt: I 'will' have my chocolate, but in moderation! LOL That's how we raised our children also - no over weights there!

Oh lord, I feel like I did when I mixed up psychiatrist with psychologist, not realizing there was a difference.

Oh well... at least I did say she should ask her doctor for a referral. Presumably s/he'll direct her to the right kind of expert!

(Don't ask me the difference between optician and optometrist, either. My eye doctor has a degree, and that's all I know.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter