WWYD? Invited to a wedding on our anniversary.

He would rather go away. Anywhere.
If he doesn't want to go, I would say don't go. You have a very good reason to not attend. Your coworkers would understand and the couple, while I'm sure they're very nice people, won't realize you aren't there. But you might end up regretting missing the chance to have this anniversary celebration with your husband. To quote a Duran Duran song, nobody knows what's going to happen tomorrow.

My late husband and I went to a wedding on our 23rd anniversary. The bride was the daughter of a very good friend from work. We had a good time. Enjoyed a nice dinner and did some dancing. If it had been a milestone anniversary, we would have declined, but, since it wasn’t, we went and had a nice time.

"Oh gosh, what a coincidence...your daughter is getting married on our anniversary weekend! Sure hope it works out as well for them as it did for us, we've booked a long weekend out of town." And come to think of it, my husband's suit will be at the dry cleaners that weekend so we wouldn't be able to make it anyway.":P

I agree that you shouldn't feel bad about declining. That's a pretty distant relationship. (On the other hand, DH and I will be married 27 years this year too, and we've never been sticklers about celebrating ON that day. If we were invited to a wedding we wanted to attend, then I don't think either of us would be too bent out of shape to push our anniversary to another nearby weekend.)

I’m another decline vote.
Since you don’t know the bride & groom, and you know you won’t be missed by them, then I would book that trip and go. I would still send them a gift, if it were me, probably $50.

*We have gone to a wedding on our anniversary, but this is a couple we are close with and looked forward to their wedding. If I didn’t know them, we would not have gone.

Beach trip! I doubt the bride and groom will be upset considering they don’t even know you. And the day is for them after all. They may be even relieved they have two less people to pay for anyway

Why do people attend weddings for couples they don’t even know? It’s weird. I would decline on that basis alone. And no, I wouldn’t send a gift either because, again, those people are strangers to me.
I can see it as a group outing with coworkers you may be friends with. I'm not friends with coworkers, but I'm also a guy and I think it's often different than with the girls in that regard. Just a coworker and not even them but their daughter's, I wouldn't on any day.

I certainly wouldn't send a gift. I don't know them whatsoever and pretty much the coworker would just be a coworker so wouldn't really know them either other than in the work setting. I wouldn't send a gift it was the coworkers. I am very very different than the typical demographic here though so I think of spending money different than most here.

I find this weird that it's even a question asked.

So this year, our 27th anniversary falls on a Saturday. A coworker's daughter is getting married that day, with a very big wedding, and invited a handfull of us from work. They are a fun group, and dh is invited, but he doesn't know any of them, and this isn't exactly how I'd want to spend our anniversary. I am friendly with all of my coworkers but don't socialize with any outside of work. I've never met the daughter or her fiance. In fact, if I rode an elevator with them, I wouldn't even know who they are.
When I consider this from dh's point of view, if he came home and said, "Honey, how about if we spend our anniversary going to my coworker's daughter's wedding?" I'd be saying HELLo NO, we are not. Not even if it was his coworker getting married.

Still, I feel guilty though to decline. I feel it's an honor to be included on someone's special day and it's not like she invited everyone from work. It was limited to only around 5 out of 15 of us. I was invited to her shower as well but we had another wedding to attend that day, a good friend's son, who we've known since he was a baby.

I considered attending the church ceremony only, in the early afternoon, so that we'd still be present, and it wouldn't cost her anything either. (As in per person cost like a reception would.)

Honestly, I'd like a little weekend escape to a FL beach and just relax and enjoy 2 days with dh. :lovestruc:cloud9: Maybe even use up some old non-expiring WDW water park tickets. Flights are cheap. < $100 pp RT. Dh is 64 so who knows how many more anniversaries we'll have? Not that he's old but I do know people who didn't even live to retire.

Ugh, my brain is bleeding just thinking about all of this. :headache: Even if we didn't attend the wedding, I'd still send them a gift. I also feel like I should reply soon in case they have a B list, to send out more invitations if the receive some replies that have declined. No point in dragging it out.
I'm afraid she'll be upset with me for choosing an escape with dh over her daughter.
I am of the firm belief that all wedding invitations should go to people who have a personal relationship with either the bride or the groom or both. This is THEIR day, not their parents. You don't know either one of them, the more awkward situation is going to a celebration of a couple's most intimate decision, most intimate union and not even know either of them.

It is your anniversary and you should celebrate it how you wish without any guilt. Why feel guilty you didn't go to a party for strangers?

Just RSVP a thank you but you will be out of town that weekend. No wedding hosts expect everyone to attend ESPECIALLY people who don't even know the bride or groom.

ENJOY your anniversary! :sunny:

I am of the firm belief that all wedding invitations should go to people who have a personal relationship with either the bride or the groom or both. This is THEIR day, not their parents. You don't know either one of them, the more awkward situation is going to a celebration of a couple's most intimate decision, most intimate union and not even know either of them.

It is your anniversary and you should celebrate it how you wish without any guilt. Why feel guilty you didn't go to a party for strangers?

Just RSVP a thank you but you will be out of town that weekend. No wedding hosts expect everyone to attend ESPECIALLY people who don't even know the bride or groom.

ENJOY your anniversary! :sunny:
My 2cents if the parent is paying they have a say same at my wedding there are people I wanted there my parents would not pay for and they invited the people they wanted

Would never go to a wedding on our anniversary and just send a note something like >>>

Thank you for inviting us to your special occasion but we have plans for our *(number)* Anniversary Celebration.

p.s. -- our 50th is next June and DW said the ONLY THING that will keep me from attending is being dead.

This is how I feel, too. I understand how one might feel uncomfortable declining an invitation and end up attending even if they don’t know the couple — it’s the parent’s sending out these invitations that make me shake my head.

I don’t care if you’re paying, it seems so disrespectful to invite a bunch of randos to intrude on your child’s special day. Parents inviting a few close friends who have watched their child grow up is understandable. The bride/groom would presumably have some sort of relationship with them, too. Inviting coworkers and business associates and members from your golf club/congregation/book club who are absolute strangers to the couple strikes me as either 1) the parent having no regard for the child and wanting to turn it into a party for themselves or, 2) the parent thinking they’re throwing the party of the year and wanting to show off to whomever they want to impress. Narcissistic either way. I would never attend in that situation simply because I would feel like I was crashing that couple’s wedding even if I was technically invited to be there.

Man, I swear, If I ever get married, I'll send out notes that say something like:

"Congratulations! I'm getting married. As a gift to you I am letting you keep your Saturday. No need to get dressed up or send a gift. Just enjoy your day knowing that you don't have to come to some event that you don't want to come to anyway. I'll see you when I get back from Disney World!"

I mean, does anyone actually ever want to attend a wedding? Maybe it's just the men, but no man anywhere, ever, has wanted to attend a wedding that wasn't his own - and maybe even then.... 🤣

This is how I feel, too. I understand how one might feel uncomfortable declining an invitation and end up attending even if they don’t know the couple — it’s the parent’s sending out these invitations that make me shake my head.

I don’t care if you’re paying, it seems so disrespectful to invite a bunch of randos to intrude on your child’s special day. Parents inviting a few close friends who have watched their child grow up is understandable. The bride/groom would presumably have some sort of relationship with them, too. Inviting coworkers and business associates and members from your golf club/congregation/book club who are absolute strangers to the couple strikes me as either 1) the parent having no regard for the child and wanting to turn it into a party for themselves or, 2) the parent thinking they’re throwing the party of the year and wanting to show off to whomever they want to impress. Narcissistic either way. I would never attend in that situation simply because I would feel like I was crashing that couple’s wedding even if I was technically invited to be there.
:thumbsup2

My DD recently got married. We paid for the whole wedding and it was in my book expensive. I would venture the invites landed 50% for couple, 25% each for parents. But the parents invites tended to include family/friends that would have been on Bride/Groom lists anyway. DH invited one co-worker but he knows our daughter (didn't come). MIL invited all the doctors she works for but they knew Groom and watched him grow up. NO ONE was invited who didn't have a personal relationship with the Bride or Groom or both. DD didn't want some of the relatives invited - she said she had no close relationship with them growing up and she'd rather her friends be there to help her celebrate THEIR special day. We were okay with that - we weren't holding them hostage because we were paying for the wedding. It was our gift to them. Did we have general budget? Yes. Did we have to make some big decisions together within that budget? Yes. But the guests were there to witness their union - there would be some plus ones obviously but the invites all went to people they knew.

Man, I swear, If I ever get married, I'll send out notes that say something like:

"Congratulations! I'm getting married. As a gift to you I am letting you keep your Saturday. No need to get dressed up or send a gift. Just enjoy your day knowing that you don't have to come to some event that you don't want to come to anyway. I'll see you when I get back from Disney World!"

I mean, does anyone actually ever want to attend a wedding? Maybe it's just the men, but no man anywhere, ever, has wanted to attend a wedding that wasn't his own - and maybe even then.... 🤣
This is what my son says too. He's been a best man in two weddings, likely will be a groomsman in one more for sure and and attended a wide variety as a guest. He sees nothing the least bit enjoyable about going through all that comes with a wedding.

FUNNY: I offered DD a big check for a down payment on a house in lieu of a wedding. Bride's Dad and Groom said no they wanted a wedding. :confused3 So once DD got planning she had fun with most of it, there were some moments of conflict she wish she hadn't, but in the end it was a beautiful event that went well and was a hit with guests. She was happy with her big day and has wonderful memories. But who knew it would be the two guys that wanted the wedding.

Last edited:
I think my husband enjoys them more than I do. He's usually the one wanting to dance, etc. As for our own wedding he was very much excited for it not just the "oohhh I'm getting married" but the actual wedding itself and what it came with

Some weddings have been for people we're only tangibly connected with but his parents were more however they grew up around so and so, other times it's been for coworkers we've been close to (been to 3 of those and 1 we couldn't make it during the early days of the pandemic out of state).
You could be like DISer friends of ours who got married in Disney World a few months back and invited us and our group of DISers (as well as their family and friends and some past DISer people they had met and gotten close to) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter