WWYD Fly or Drive

Yes, southwestern CT. In the past we left Friday morning and drove to Brunswick, GA, stayed the night, and arrived at Disney at 11:30ish AM Saturday.

That's hardcore driving there. I heard former astronaut Lisa Nowak drove almost nonstop (about 12 hours) from Houston to Orlando (about 800 miles) - only stopping to get fuel. I think some people here have heard the story.

If my wife was ever willing to drive long distances (she hates driving more than 10 miles at a time) we might be able to make time like you did.

Hidden expenses to consider:

• If you aren't driving down in one long drive you will have to get hotel or motel.
  • Plus you will have to feed everybody a few meals.
  • Plus gas.
  • Plus wear on the car. If you think about it, a round trip would be 2,400.

I mean, even all those costs probably is less than 4 plane tickets or whatever. Unless that 2,400 is more miles than your tires could take and now you need to buy new tires 3 months earlier than you would have in a normal year.

Now, with all of that said, my family still drove from Pennsylvania several times. It still cost less than flying for us. We did enjoy flying though, and it certainly got us to Orlando faster!

The OP said that it's a leased car that will be returned in May, and that it should still be in the mileage allowance even with this trip. So basically there's no worry about wear on the car. I haven't thought about returning a leased car since my dad returned one 30 years ago, but I'm not sure if there's any tire requirements either other than adequate tread to move it safely. Doing some research, and some have bought used tires cheap to meet the requirements for return.

One can save on food with a cooler and sandwiches. It would also save time not having to track down restaurants. However, as someone who went backpacking for several days, it's nice having a hot meal every now and then, especially prepared by someone else.

One can save on food with a cooler and sandwiches. It would also save time not having to track down restaurants. However, as someone who went backpacking for several days, it's nice having a hot meal every now and then, especially prepared by someone else.

Yeah, I wouldn't really want to do driving AND have to deal with a cooler. But that's just me.

For such a long drive, I'd fly. I get antsy on long car rides, so I side with your wife, lol!
Under 8 hours away, I'd drive.

Flying is always the answer, for me. Absolutely HATE driving and being on the interstates.

That's hardcore driving there. I heard former astronaut Lisa Nowak drove almost nonstop (about 12 hours) from Houston to Orlando (about 800 miles) - only stopping to get fuel. I think some people here have heard the story.

If my wife was ever willing to drive long distances (she hates driving more than 10 miles at a time) we might be able to make time like you did.

Here is our driving plan from 2014. Pretty much hit the times as outlined!

upload_2019-1-25_16-18-38.png

Yeah, I wouldn't really want to do driving AND have to deal with a cooler. But that's just me.

Depends on the size. However, when I've driven with my family we'll typically have two carry-on sized bags and there's more than enough room left for a 28 quart rolling cooler. As a 6' tall guy my clothes take up more volume than the combination of my wife and our kid's clothing. Also - driving makes it a lot easier to bring bulky items like shoes. Just 3 pairs of shoes takes up tons of space.

I've read discussion of people camping at Fort Wilderness, where they bought their tent camping equipment locally and abandoned it rather than take it home by air. When I went to Florida a decade ago I wanted a personal sized cooler. I did manage to take it home, but that was back when most airlines had two pieces of check-in included in the fare. I brought a lot of stuff home in one box. Today I probably would have asked my hotel clerk if I could toss it in the dumpster or where I might donate it.

That's hardcore driving there. I heard former astronaut Lisa Nowak drove almost nonstop (about 12 hours) from Houston to Orlando (about 800 miles) - only stopping to get fuel.
That's really not that intense. We drove to Orlando over Christmas the last two years. Just under 12 hours, including three stops for gas/bathroom food. Yes, we had a cooler and snack bag. Lisa Nowak made the news because of WHY she made the trip AND that she used an adult diaper during the trip. It had very little to do with the distance.

since your driving costs are really low, with the airfare you are getting now, I would also drive... your driving time is really only one day. Not 4 days total. I also like the option of having your car in Orlando.. that saves money and hastle too.

you have so many costs anyways covered.. and food costs I wouldnt even look into... food costs you have if you are driving, or already there.... or at home..

Even if you did 18 hours of driving in one day, you'd lose at least part of the next day "recovering". Hence, 2 days. Then you get the same on the way back, and there's 4 days.

I think you have to look at the net. Figure on 3-4 days total driving, and 1 day total flying (1/2 day in each direction). So, the “cost” of driving is 2-3 days, depending on how hard you are willing to push on day 1 in each direction.

Even if you did 18 hours of driving in one day, you'd lose at least part of the next day "recovering". Hence, 2 days. Then you get the same on the way back, and there's 4 days.
That's really not that intense. We drove to Orlando over Christmas the last two years. Just under 12 hours, including three stops for gas/bathroom food. Yes, we had a cooler and snack bag. Lisa Nowak made the news because of WHY she made the trip AND that she used an adult diaper during the trip. It had very little to do with the distance.

That’s why we did the big push the first day so the second day we were well rested. We hit the parks that afternoon until about 11:30pm! Go

That’s why we did the big push the first day so the second day we were well rested after a short drive and good nights sleep. We hit the parks that afternoon until about 11:30pm! Go big or go home. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter