WWYD? Date night at Disney

jolynne28

Mouseketeer
My parents are going to Disney with us in November, the last week of the Food and Wine Fest. We are all staying at the Fort, we have a travel trailer, and they have a motorhome. Today, while discussing dining options, my dad offered to keep the kids one night on our trip so that we can have a dinner date. We haven't had a date night in a very long time, since before our 7 mo old was born.

I debated on dining somewhere, and of course the first thing that came to mind was Victoria & Albert's, mainly b/c we had to forfeit my 40th birthday and our anniversary b/c of the baby this year. But honestly, no matter how amazing the experience and food is, DH isn't going to enjoy dropping $500 on a dinner for the two of us. So then I thought, why don't we just drink and eat our way around the festival? We will do that with the entire family anyway, but just the two of us would be more relaxed and easy.

And now I'm thinking, there's probably a ton of possibilities that I'm not even aware of. So what should we do?? What's your ultimate Disney Date Night??

Narcoosee's, Citrico's, Flying Fish, Jiko, California Grill. Just some great food and nice atmosphere. You can see the fireworks from Narcoossee's and California Grill. Flying Fish is the best meal I ever had on property, Jiko is adventurous eating and Citrico's is more mediterranean, if you prefer that. Just enjoy each other, no matter where.

Hard question, there really are a ton of possibilities.

If you are looking to make up for your 40th and anniversary then maybe look at a signature restaurant. I've heard so many great things about Shula's, and I don't think that would break the bank the way V&A might. Jiko is very nice, we have had some memorable meals there.

If you wanted to do something upscale in Epcot, there is Monsieur Paul.

I know it is a little cheesy for grown adults, but I thought Be Our Guest for dinner was nice, it's very pretty inside the restaurant.

We’re not big fans of the food booths. I guess we don’t find walking around with crowds & eating standing up very relaxing or romantic. We prefer a nice sit down meal. Yachtsman’s Steakhouse is our favorite. Monsieur Paul at Epcot is quiet & has a great view if you are near the windows.

Date night at Disney for us is a lovely dinner at Jiko or Shula's. You can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I googled this question after I made the post and saw the Highway in the Sky. I’m thinking maybe we’ll make our own?? Maybe California Grill at the end.
But I’m going to check out the other recommendations too. We’ve done BOG a lot so will skip that. Yachtsman is intriguing. We prob won’t do Narcoossee’s, we live in La so good seafood is something we can easily do here.
And I read a lot of good things about Jiko, but DH got sick after eating there over 8 years ago and would never go back.
I’m wondering where and what the best app would be between Poly and GF.

Oh and I completely agree with the food booths not being romantic, the more I thought about it the more I realized it wasn’t a good choice for a date.

why not try something in Disney Springs? Then you could walk around, have a few drinks, get dessert somewhere.

I’m considering it. But we are staying at the fort so it would be easy to catch the boat to the contemporary and monorail around to the others.
I haven’t done DS in over 10 years, and I can’t say it was memorable in any way. What am I missing?

Normally I would say book Narcoossee, Flying Fish or any of the other lovely signature meals on site, however last December my DH and I had dinner at Le Cellier with the family who booked back to the resort right after. It was drizzly and cool, so they had enough. DH and I wandered around a bit and would up at Rose and Crown, where the hostess graciously guided us to upper patio for cocktails before Illuminations. It was both relaxing and lovely.

I think I woudl book dinner at any of the restaurants in the WC, (San Angel Inn is stunning inside) and then after the meal wander around with a cocktail from your favorite kiosk until you find a noce viewing spot.

My meaningless thought is your date night is whatever you want it to be. To me, the trying the food booths together as a couple would be nice as it's not something I can do at home. I'd rather have a unique experience. I don't like spending much on food and we avoid bars as they're not really someplace a recovering alcoholic should go to.

For something special, we do Monsieur Paul at Epcot. It has really good French food and quiet atmosphere.

IMO, if you are looking for something quiet and romantic, then California Grill should be avoided. It is very loud, the food is good (not great) and not very romantic with young kids screaming all over the place. If it wasn't for the firework view, that restaurant wouldn't be as popular as it is.

For a view of the fireworks with a nice quiet dinner, I would pick Narcoossee's.

Our favorite date night meal is Boma at AKL. It's a buffet but so unique! And there are plenty of "normal" choices too like roasted chicken and carved beef. And AKL is a great resort to visit. Make sure to stop by an animal lookout to see the animals. The gift shop is one of the most unique on the property. Also a great place to look for hidden Mickey's. The one at Boma took us FOREVER and we even had to google image an extra clue!

[QUOTE="drwadadli, post: 60772692, member: 555963"

IMO, if you are looking for something quiet and romantic, then California Grill should be avoided. It is very loud, the food is good (not great) and not very romantic with young kids screaming all over the place. If it wasn't for the firework view, that restaurant wouldn't be as popular as it is.

[/QUOTE]

YMMV, but I have done California Grill several times and haven't found it to be particularly loud, and there weren't any children (besides one well behaved young teenager) the times I was there. Granted, I make later dinner reservations to see the fireworks, once was at 9 pm. So I wouldn't avoid the Cali Grill on the basis that it would be loud and overrun with children... But children are allowed in the restaurant of course so that would be a possibility at any Disney restaurant, in theory. California Grill is one I would consider to have a considerably more adult vibe, especially later into the evening. Many couples and many dressed nicer than typical park clothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter