Wreckage of US World War Two submarine found after 80 years

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 18.47.18.png

The wreckage of a US Navy submarine that sank the most Japanese warships during World War Two has been found in the South China Sea, some 80 years after it was sunk by enemy forces.

The USS Harder was found 3,000ft (914m) below water off the Philippines' northern island of Luzon.

The Harder was sunk in battle on 29 August 1944, along with its crew of 79 men.

I dunno guys, maybe it would be preferable to just leave the dead lie...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ceqq8gn014xo

View attachment 862640

The wreckage of a US Navy submarine that sank the most Japanese warships during World War Two has been found in the South China Sea, some 80 years after it was sunk by enemy forces.

The USS Harder was found 3,000ft (914m) below water off the Philippines' northern island of Luzon.

The Harder was sunk in battle on 29 August 1944, along with its crew of 79 men.

I dunno guys, maybe it would be preferable to just leave the dead lie...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ceqq8gn014xo
Thanks for the info. May they rest in peace.

I'm old enough that I knew and loved many relatives that fought in WW2, while thankfully they all survived, if they had been lost I'd be thankful they were finally found. It's a good opportunity to remember their service and sacrifice. Lost, but not forgotten.

My guess is that people who lost relatives even before they were born grew up hearing about them and would still be thankful for the connection of them being found. I also knew, loved, and still remember family members who fought in WW1 for that matter - and I'm only 62. Those loved ones are still remembered. I think a picture of their resting place now that it is known as a good thing. It's really amazing that it was found.

I didn't see anything in the article that indicated they won't be left to rest in peace, only that we know now their final resting place.

Last edited:
My Daddy fought in WWII in the South Pacific off an aircraft carrier. His plane even went down and he was in the hospital in the Philippines for months. I'm sure any family that know of or knew the crew would be glad the ship was found but not want it disturbed. Since it is so deep, I'm pretty sure there won't be any one doing too much damage. I have been diving on a couple of WWII sunken ships, one American sub. off the coast of NC and one Japanese ship in shallow waters of Palau. I can say both had remains in them and both were treated with respect and never breached.

Submarines scare the hell outta me. Remember the Titan sub that lost contact on a dive to see the Titanic? Sensors picked up the sound of knocking on the hull hours later. If they were alive, it must have been so scary, in pitch black, in the cold, alone. Then they detected what they thought was the sound of what can only be described as a bang - following an implosion, they found the wreckage later. I only pray that their death was quick.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter