Wow, Target is closed today

Again, I was talking about it being a 2nd job. READ PEOPLE, READ. I never siad that a person working there full time wouldn't feel it. I was responding to someone that said they would feel it because for a lot of people it was a 2nd job, not a FIRST or ONLY job. Man I wish people would learn to read.

Reading you just fine. Do you think people take second jobs for fun? No, it's because the first job isn't paying the bills. So cutting the hours of the second job can still be just as painful as cutting the hours of a first job.

Didn't really bother us much. We aren't remotely religious, so we're in the group of "just another sunday". We decided to go get the second season of Game of Thrones and be lazy all day, and drove to Target because it's the closest store. Saw they were closed, shrugged and said "oh yeah, Easter" and went back home. I plan to go back there today to make my purchase.

I'm not going to boycott Target because they chose to observe a religious holiday that I don't. (other than in the commercialized sense...I like dying eggs and eating candy!) They were one of the very few places around us that were closed yesterday. We took our dog to get groomed at PetSmart and the salon was busy as heck.

I think it is up to each individual company what days they choose to be open or closed, just like it's up to them what their hours are. Regardless of their reasoning, be it religious or something else, it doesn't really hurt me at all. It doesn't change my opinion of the company. I shop based on price and convenience, not how that company chooses to observe a holiday. I think i'd only have an issue with that if it were a discrimination issue where, for example, Christian got paid leave for all the big holidays, but Jewish people had to take unpaid days. Unless it's something like that, then what does it really matter? Either be happy that a company is observing something important to you, or be accepting that companies have the right to choose to be closed and go shop somewhere else that day.

Again, I was talking about it being a 2nd job. READ PEOPLE, READ. I never siad that a person working there full time wouldn't feel it. I was responding to someone that said they would feel it because for a lot of people it was a 2nd job, not a FIRST or ONLY job. Man I wish people would learn to read.

I can read just fine, but these types of stores dont close for just those working two jobs, they close for EVERYONE! So all those workers miss out on the pay.

Exactly. People can wait a day to buy paper towels. I feel for anyone who had to work yesterday (other than healthcare). Easter is a family day.

Easter is a family day for some people, not all.

I know a few people with second jobs because they need the extra income, so yes they would feel the loss of a day of work.

And people who are working a second job obviously need the income from the second job.

How can you be so dismissive of a second job? Pretty sure that a person wouldn't be working it if they did not need those measly pennies a second job secures. A second job is as important to one's budge as their first job. They rely on that income plus their other income to make one's ends meet. They are going to feel missing a day of their second job.

The way you write it, it is coming across as quite the pompous attitude, don't you think?

Imagine the poor innocent guy sitting at home researching a Disney vacation.

He clicks on something called DISboards.

He finds this thread first.

What in the world would he think?

Reading you just fine. Do you think people take second jobs for fun? No, it's because the first job isn't paying the bills. So cutting the hours of the second job can still be just as painful as cutting the hours of a first job.

Never said they did, did I. So are you actually saying that stores should stay open just so people who need the money will have a chance to make it? Wow, you all can just pull stuff out of nowhere and argue.

YOu all go ahead and justify your wanting these stores open, that is all you are really doing.

I am out. I have said my opinion and I won't change and I simply won't argue with you all.

Imagine the poor innocent guy sitting at home researching a Disney vacation.

He clicks on something called DISboards.

He finds this thread first.

What in the world would he think?

He would probably think its a good thing WDW isn't closed on Easter, or Christmas or Arbor Day etc etc

Never said they did, did I. So are you actually saying that stores should stay open just so people who need the money will have a chance to make it? Wow, you all can just pull stuff out of nowhere and argue.

YOu all go ahead and justify your wanting these stores open, that is all you are really doing.

I am out. I have said my opinion and I won't change and I simply won't argue with you all.

There doesn't need to be justification, stores are open on Easter because they can be. They can be closed too. :confused3

Where did I ever say stores should stay open?

What I took issue with was the poster (maybe it was you, I forget) who said it was "good" that stores were closed. I don't see what's good about it. :confused3

Some of the posters are justifying why they want the stores closed ~ like *they* think they should be.

I'm sure it's nice. My perspective is altered since my wife and I've spent the last 38 years working in an industry where "holiday" does not mean "day off". And since my mom was a nurse, growing up we celebrated a lot of Easters, Thanksgivings and Christmases after mom got home from work.
I know my MIL, who managed a law office, until the day she died, never understood jobs that don't take holidays off.

There are some professions that regardless of the holiday need to work. Nursing is one of them. My dad works at a home for mentally ill people, he worked yesterday as well as Christmas. Just the way it goes with certain professions.

With that being said, nobody really 'needs' to buy a XBox 360 on Easter Sunday. Signs were posted that the stores would be closed people can plan accordingly.

There are some professions that regardless of the holiday need to work. Nursing is one of them. My dad works at a home for mentally ill people, he worked yesterday as well as Christmas. Just the way it goes with certain professions.

With that being said, nobody really 'needs' to buy a XBox 360 on Easter Sunday. Signs were posted that the stores would be closed people can plan accordingly.

True about the Xbox, but the grocery stores being closed on the only day of the week I have to shop would be an issue.

But stores like Target sell things other than Xboxes and paper towels. They sell fever reducing meds, they sell bandages, they fill Rxs. So once again who declares what stores are considered essential or not. Maybe you or your family doesnt need to be in a store like that but others certainly do and are probably pretty glad that places like that are open.

I mentioned it above, gas stations could say, gas up the day before, but that doesnt help the person who needs to travel further than a tank of gas.

Wait a second, you're criticizing people for not reading, then make the statement I bolded? Not ONE person has said the stores SHOULD be open. Some have said it's an inconvenience, but that's about it. However, people said they were "happy" the stores were closed, others said they wished other stores were closed.

Personally, I don't care whether the stores are open or not. I just don't understand what there is to be "happy" about or why people think the stores should be closed.

Plenty of people have said it's the store's decision to be open or not, but WE'RE the ones who don't read? :confused3

But stores like Target sell things other than Xboxes and paper towels. They sell fever reducing meds, they sell bandages, they fill Rxs. So once again who declares what stores are considered essential or not. Maybe you or your family doesnt need to be in a store like that but others certainly do and are probably pretty glad that places like that are open.

I mentioned it above, gas stations could say, gas up the day before, but that doesnt help the person who needs to travel further than a tank of gas.

I overly don't care about it but if I want to overanalyze it when I'm bored (like now:rotfl:) yeah, I like the convenience of stores being open. I work Monday through Friday with a fairly lengthy commute. I rarely have time to run any errands during the week. Saturday and Sunday are my days. I usually choose VERY early Sunday morning to do my weekly shopping and I do it between 1-2 grocery stores and Target. Fortunately, I live in a large suburb with a very diverse population so every grocery store was open but I did *miss* my Sunday Target run.

Does anyone remember when stores were closed on several holidays.We planned ahead so that it wasn't an emergency that we couldn't go to Target or the grocery store? I can even remember filling the car up with gas because some gas stations were closed on Christmas day. I don't have a lot of days I can shop, but its not the end of the world for me if stores are closed on a holiday (and I would feel the same if it was a major holiday for other religions).

On a personal note, I will say that Easter is the most religious holiday for Christians and I am thankful that my family can get together on one day - that nothing (so far) interferes with us worshiping our God together. I can understand that if Easter's not a big deal to you that it may be inconvenient for a store to be closed. But the reason that I feel a little "glad" is that I have empathy for the people who want to celebrate and worship. I work Sundays in a store that was open, but I have a great boss, and it was no problem taking off that day.

As far as feeling empathy for people who lost money and wanted to work on Easter, I suspect those numbers are few. I certainly care about that loss of income for those who needed it - but my guess is that most of them were either glad to be with their families or just glad to have a day off - whether they're Christians or not.

True about the Xbox, but the grocery stores being closed on the only day of the week I have to shop would be an issue.

Around here, grocery stores are open from around 6 or 7 in the morning until 11 pm or midnight. I'm pretty sure you could find a couple of hours somewhere to get your shopping done, even if the store is closed on your day off.

Around here, grocery stores are open from around 6 or 7 in the morning until 11 pm or midnight. I'm pretty sure you could find a couple of hours somewhere to get your shopping done, even if the store is closed on your day off.

I was reading somewhere that some of the Target workers were mad about the store being closed. It isn't a paid holiday, and I suspect most of their employees are part time, so losing a day's pay is a bigger concern that working Easter.

What about the TV stations? For all those who dont want people to have to work on holidays, are you all going to stay home and not watch TV.

Given all the people that saw the Louiville player get hurt, I think tons of people were at home watching the game.

Like I said who gets decide who or what is essential?????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!