Wow. My worst ever experience with a CM today

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I've been to DL somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 times. My experiences with cast members have been overwhelmingly positive. Indeed, I posted a few weeks ago about an exceptionally nice interaction I'd had with one recently. When a CM goes out of his/her way to be kind/helpful, I always make it a point that the good people at City Hall are so informed. Kindness should always be recognized and rewarded.

Today, unfortunately, I had a particularly unpleasant experience with a CM while in line for Indiana Jones. I was sitting on one of the rope line dividers (admittedly, not the best idea). Rather than ask me politely to get off, he grabbed it, jerked it and essentially forced me off of it. He then said in a snide tone: "That's a rope, not a ride." I was astonished. That's horrible behavior for a CM. It's rude and, had I fallen as a result of his jerking, I wouldn't have complained to City Hall. I'd have complained to an attorney. In short, a response should always be proportional and, obviously, tempered with courtesy.

Upon exiting the ride, I asked one of the CMs at the entrance if I could speak with someone in charge. I could tell from the look on her face that something along the lines of "Great. Another butt-hurt guest with a complaint" was running through her mind. She said that I could speak with her (I had my doubts but told my story anyway).

I explained what had happened and she told me that the matter would be raised with the CM... even though I hadn't told her -- and she hadn't asked for -- the CM's name. I could tell I'd get no help from her so I thanked her and left. As I walked off, she called after me "You need to be careful." I was already upset. This spiked my annoyance into anger territory. Be careful of what? A CM who might push me over because he's upset about something I've done? Not at the Disneyland that I know and love.

I took my complaint to City Hall, where it was dealt with courteously and professionally, as I knew it would be. That CM is not qualified to interact with guests if he can't control his temper -- which, seemingly, he can't. I suspect that others who witnessed it may have also found it distasteful and rude.

I hope not but I have to ask: has anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited:
Ick you had to get the bad apple in the batch of great ones. I would say 98% of the CM's I have encountered are amazing and courteous and magical. There have been one or two but never to that level. They will ever be very short in response or not smile. Hope they speak to that CM and let them know that behavior is not tolerated. Same for the "CM in charge".

Sounds like the Jet Blue flight attendant who pushed dh's hand aside, pushed the button, and slammed his seat up on approach. Dh's hand was moving toward the bottom but that wasn't enough.

The cm told you to be careful because you had been sitting on the rope. It's entirely possible they've had a recent injury from that and are sensitive.

It's also probable that she already knew who you were talking about. There aren't an infinite number of Indy cms at one given time in the queue after all.

We go to Disneyland quite a bit, and sadly, we have experienced some hateful cast members as well. But nobody has ever suggested any threats or did anything where I may have been hurt. I gotta say your experience takes the cake. But unfortunately, it does not surprise me.

The worst I've ever dealt with was after one of the parades I was walking around trying to find my wife and some woman who appeared to be in her early 20s started yelling at me for walking near something. I never knew what it was I was doing wrong but this young gal was over the top hateful towards me about moving away from something. God only knows what it was but she really wanted me to go away from it. Normally I tend to give what I get in life, but Disney is my happy place, so I let it go. But I do regret not reporting her behavior. She was very special to say the least.

But I'm sympathetic towards anyone who works with the public for a living. In my job I deal with some remarkably hateful, and sometimes violent people. But I do not go around yelling at people just because I'm having a bad day. I often see cast members who are just going through the motions. Its just a job to them and a low paying one at that. My wife has been to Disney World many times and she says the employees are much nicer there. Maybe its the cost of living here in southern California. I just don't know but one of these days I'm going to go to Disney World and see for myself.

Sorry you had a bad experience. That type of thing would really #$%* me off. Its good you told the folks at city hall about it. Hopefully you also told them about the second cast member who just tried to blow you off. Talk about insult to injury. Most of the cast members at Disneyland do a pretty good job but wherever you go in life, you will always have a few special people whose parents failed to teach them how to act in public. Even at Disneyland.

Unfortunately in today's world the is becoming the norm in customer service.
Disney may be less often, but they are doing their best to catch up.

MG

So sorry that happened to you. I know it can really leave a bad taste in your mouth. I experienced something similar at one of the 24 hour parties. Yes, the day was crazy and CMs were frazzled. I was shopping in the Mad Hatter during a surprising lull and casually asked a CM if she knew whether any gate closures had been implemented yet. Well, she laid into me and chewed me out, scolding me like there was no tomorrow. And about something that was completely irrelevant, too. She was yelling at me that if I left the park (which I clearly hadn't since I was standing right in front of her), I wouldn't be let back in (how did she know since she had no idea whether any gate closures had happened yet?). She was older and I started to worry that maybe the stress of the day was causing her to have a health issue. So I ran right over to City Hall and explained the situation. The CM there was shocked and very sympathetic, called over to the Mad Hatter to have someone check on the CM in question to make sure she was all right. I had fun at that party, but that experience did put a damper on things. I'm glad the CMs at City Hall treated you better and with respect.

That reminds me of what happened to me on our trip last November. We were in line for Sally and Jack with a lot of people around us in the line. The handlers made the announcement that they would be taking a break and we had an ADR to get to so we needed to leave. On impulse, I started to cross over the rope on the side of us (we were next to the side of the rope turnstile) to leave the line (I know, not the best idea) and a young CM comes over and starts shouting at me about what a bad role model I was being to all of the kids in line. He stood there and lectured me for the entire time it took me to put my leg back over the rope and for my husband and me to leave the line. How embarrassing! I could see some of the other adults in line looking sympathetic because he was being loud and obnoxious in his lecturing. A simple, "please don't cross the turnstile so you don't get hurt" would have sufficed. I was pretty irritated and it really put a damper on my mood for a while that day.

I am sorry that happened to you, OP.

First, glad you took responsibility for your mistake. Second that's an obscenely dangerous way for a CM to deal with it. I understand they have to tell people that exact thing 30 times a day- but it's literally what they are being paid to do! The CM was not qualified to work there and neither was the CM you talked to on your way out. I hope you filed complaints against both. "You need to be careful"? What the heck?! That was 100% dismissal of your valid complaint telling you it's all on you. Sounds like the Indy team needs some new leads (2 bad CMs is bad management) & the first CM needs to be fired, I'm glad you complained at City Hall!

I've had some experiences that I consider pretty bad. Actually, I usually have one every time I go to DL. I haven't been scolded for doing anything dangerous or not allowed, but have been yelled at/talked down to for doing normal things.

Once when staying at GCH, I was walking over to White Water Snacks to get some breakfast. Apparently it was when people were lining up to enter DCA and a cast member was there telling people how to line up. I kept walking to WWS and she started yelling at me to get in line and get my room key out. I shook my head no and pointed to where I was going and she freaked out saying I couldn't cut the line. I said I was getting breakfast, she told me to get my key out. I asked if I needed my key to get breakfast at WWS and she said no, I only needed it out if I was going to DCA. I said I wasn't going there and kept walking. Her face turned beet red.

Another time, my husband and I were entering the park with tickets. The woman at the turnstile scanned his ticket, we heard it make the noise, then she tried to scan it again and of course, it didn't work the second time. She asked it he was already in the park that day, we said no we just got there. She said we must have been in the park already because the ticket was already scanned. We explained that she scanned it twice because we heard it. She got frustrated, shook her head and said she would just let us in, but it was obvious she didn't believe us. It was a bad way to start the day, having a stupid person working the turnstile couldn't pay attention to what she was doing.

Speaking of a bad way to start the day, when I was picking up my tickets last month for the Electric Parade Party, the CM was completely unprofessional. I went to the will call and there were several people working, all talking to each other. First off, they seemed annoyed that I came up to the window and disrupted their conversation. Then, I asked (I spoke first, there was no hello, how can I help you) if that was where I pick up my tickets for the Electric Parade Party. All I got back in response was, "I need your ID," but it was a snap, and she turned away right away and started talking to the other people in the booth again. I gave my ID and she printed out the tickets and said, "here" when she gave them to me. Didn't say anything else at all. I was pretty surprised that I never got a hello or have a nice day or anything. They all went back to their conversation. Apparently, the conversation was much more important to them than doing their jobs.

Those are just the things that are off the top of my head. There's nothing unusual about having mediocre or bad service at DL for me.

The cm told you to be careful because you had been sitting on the rope. It's entirely possible they've had a recent injury from that and are sensitive.

If they'd had another one because the CM caused me to fall, they'd have had a lawsuit on their hands. The only reason I would have fallen in that case would have been due to the CM's overreaction.

First, glad you took responsibility for your mistake. Second that's an obscenely dangerous way for a CM to deal with it. I understand they have to tell people that exact thing 30 times a day- but it's literally what they are being paid to do! The CM was not qualified to work there and neither was the CM you talked to on your way out. I hope you filed complaints against both. "You need to be careful"? What the heck?! That was 100% dismissal of your valid complaint telling you it's all on you. Sounds like the Indy team needs some new leads (2 bad CMs is bad management) & the first CM needs to be fired, I'm glad you complained at City Hall!

Thanks. Yes, I filed complaints against both of them. I was 100% positive that the second CM was going to do absolutely nothing, other than perhaps joke about it later with the original offending CM. You're correct: two bad CMs on one attraction is an unfortunate oversight. And I agree -- the first CM should be fired. You get snappy with a guest? Sure: it happens and a reprimand is called for. You put one in harm's way? You should be fired.

The next time I visit DL, I'll keep an eye out for those two bozos. I wonder if they'll keep them.

is it possible that the CM was trying to kid around with you and it just went badly? I have seen a few CM's try to engage with the guests and some are very awkward and come across as unnatural and forced.

Threatening lawsuit isn't really going to get you very far. The moment you sit on the ropes is the moment you lose your case.

With that said the CM shouldn't have touched the rope when trying to tell you to get off. They should have just used their line that's a rope not a ride. Sure it is snippy but said with the right tone it is okay for show. I have to admit people sitting on the ropes is the worst thing to deal with. The whole reason being if you are the in queue CM you get in trouble is someone falls and hurts themselves by sitting on the ropes. Everyone does it and gets mad when CMs tell them to get off but if the CM doesn't say anything it is their fault if a guest falls. It is a double edge sword.

is it possible that the CM was trying to kid around with you and it just went badly? I have seen a few CM's try to engage with the guests and some are very awkward and come across as unnatural and forced.
I don't think so. His tone was nasty and scolding. I'm usually pretty good at telling the difference between playful banter and genuine annoyance. And the way he jerked the rope was too aggressive for me tastes.

If they'd had another one because the CM caused me to fall, they'd have had a lawsuit on their hands. The only reason I would have fallen in that case would have been due to the CM's overreaction.

I'm referring to the second cm. You felt it was threatening. I say it's a good thing to say. You were sitting on the ropes. (Making it harder for me to parent my kid when he sees adults doing what I'm telling him not to do because I am Worst Case Scenario Mom*) You admitted that. So...be careful.

Threatening lawsuit isn't really going to get you very far. The moment you sit on the ropes is the moment you lose your case.

Agreed. Or you'd have to get a super shady lawyer willing to go up against Disney. And they'd take most of any money you won. If you won.

*even before I was WCS Mom we dealt with my son falling *while simply trying on mittens*. He couldn't catch himself because of the mittens being connected together and went down like a plank. Hit his head on the metal base of the clothing rack. I watched the spark disappear from his 3 year old eyes and watched as the EMTs strapped him down multiple times while he didn't protest at all. In the 40 minutes after the fall until the spark thankfully came back and he came back from whatever dazed place he had been, I had to picture what seemed to be his new life. My new life. A new life without whatever made him truly him.

We got lucky that the thing that made him fall (his dad put an itchy hat on him and DS was trying to jerk away from that) padded the fall so he didn't actually break his skull. We were lucky that the spark came back.

So, be careful. I don't care if you start laughing and fall back accidentally and fracture your skull or if the CM jerks the rope and causes it. I don't even know you and I don't want that spark to leave you. Neither do your friends and family.

And none of this is to defend the first cm. It IS to defend the second one. Because i bet she knew just who he was, and she was right to say to be careful.

I've been to DL about 5 times in the last 3 years, and I can't think of any bad experiences. Sorry that happened to you, it sounds way overreaction and inappropriate.

The worst for me was more incompetence than anything else. The fastpass machine was stuck and not giving out tickets, and the cm in the area refused to open it up to fix it for over 10 minutes, until she gave up and just gave me and 4 other groups the fastpasses. Waste of time for everyone.

In almost all other cases, the cm has been at least pleasant to deal with and many times went over and beyond what was asked.

In one recent example, when we went through the turnstiles, my sons ticket was apparently not scanned properly, so the system didn't think my son was in the park and wouldn't give fastpasses. The cm I worked with quickly figured out the issue, and even gave me a special ticket that would give out fastpasses for that day without the need for me to go the front of the park and have my son scanned in. She didn't need to do that, but we appreciated that.

Threatening lawsuit isn't really going to get you very far. The moment you sit on the ropes is the moment you lose your case
I disagree. If you fall because a CM intentionally jerks the rope you're sitting on (with the intention to remove you), personal injury lawyers would line up to take the case on contingency. Why? Because it would be the CM's actions that caused you to fall and potentially suffer an injury. As you say, the CM shouldn't have touched the rope.

With that said the CM shouldn't have touched the rope when trying to tell you to get off. They should have just used their line that's a rope not a ride. Sure it is snippy but said with the right tone it is okay for show.

I disagree again. I don't think it's ever appropriate for a CM to be snippy. Especially when "Please get off the rope. We don't want you to get hurt" would have achieved the same result and would have left me feeling respected rather than provoked and insulted. Most people that have replied to this thread seem to agree that the CM was out of line.

I have to admit people sitting on the ropes is the worst thing to deal with. The whole reason being if you are the in queue CM you get in trouble is someone falls and hurts themselves by sitting on the ropes. Everyone does it and gets mad when CMs tell them to get off but if the CM doesn't say anything it is their fault if a guest falls. It is a double edge sword.

I don't doubt that it's a problem. Perhaps steps should be taken to change the way the lines are setup. Seems to lead to no end of problems -- for guests and cast members.

I disagree. If you fall because a CM intentionally jerks the rope you're sitting on (with the intention to remove you), personal injury lawyers would line up to take the case on contingency. Why? Because it would be the CM's actions that caused you to fall and potentially suffer an injury. As you say, the CM shouldn't have touched the rope.

I can't quote what I wanted to because of the way it quoted. To address the maybe they should change the rules form my understanding they can't use something more permanent because in the event of an emergency in line (think medical) they have to be able to remove the ropes to get a stretcher in and out. Also going to solid banisters wouldn't really fix the issue either as people would still just sit on them.

I'm referring to the second cm. You felt it was threatening. I say it's a good thing to say. You were sitting on the ropes. (Making it harder for me to parent my kid when he sees adults doing what I'm telling him not to do because I am Worst Case Scenario Mom*) You admitted that. So...be careful.

I did. I also said that I feel the CM's response should have been proportionate. A simple "Would you please get off of the rope?" would have sufficed. The CM's actions were excessive and still have me unsettled nearly a day later.

I can't quote what I wanted to because of the way it quoted. To address the maybe they should change the rules form my understanding they can't use something more permanent because in the event of an emergency in line (think medical) they have to be able to remove the ropes to get a stretcher in and out. Also going to solid banisters wouldn't really fix the issue either as people would still just sit on them.

You and I clearly don't have the solution. But surely engineers/imagineers who design such things for a living could come up with something better. In the meantime, if it's such a common issue, perhaps CM's could be trained on the best ways to address guests who sit on ropes. Surely it can't be to try to knock them off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter