Would you visit Disney wearing an arm sling?

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
I have a shoulder surgery scheduled for December 27 to repair a torn labrum and shave off a bone spur. We delayed the surgery at my request due to a trip planned for November 10-18 and yes we are counting down the days!

However over the past week or so and especially this weekend the shoulder has hurt almost constantly. It's not excruciating pain by any means but I wonder do I really want to wait 3 more months to have it corrected. But that MIGHT mean visiting the world sporting an arm sling and that does not seem very appealing either not to mention not able to ride some attractuibs and I already have FP for FOP scheduled.

Have any of you ever had to wear a sling to the world and if you have is it something you would never do again or did you just adapt?

My husband had that surgery and said he would have felt comfortable going to WDW no sooner than a month after the surgery. Any sooner than that and ANY bumping into it would have been...unpleasant.

Currently 4 weeks post surgery on a labrum/bony bankart procedure and I am nervous about my trip in November which will be out of sling. No way would i think of going in my sling. If he is in pain currently delaying surgery could cause complications. Recovery sucks and is very uncomfortable, I would be very careful risking a surgical outcome to see the mouse.

A few weeks before our big Christmas/New Year's trip in 2012, my father fell playing paintball (he's a bit of a nut, yes) and fractured his upper arm, so he was in a sling for the trip. We were mostly going for the atmosphere of the parks at Christmas, so he didn't much mind missing a few rides here and there and we went at a much more leisurely pace. He did get a bit jostled with the high crowds, which hurt, but we just would find a spot out of the way for a bit if we needed.

That being said, his injury was a lot less drastic than what yours sounds like, and there was very little risk of reinjury. I think in the end you have to do what you feel is best for your body, and know that if you have to postpone, Disney will always be there when you're 100% ready to go!

I have a shoulder surgery scheduled for December 27 to repair a torn labrum and shave off a bone spur. We delayed the surgery at my request due to a trip planned for November 10-18 and yes we are counting down the days!

However over the past week or so and especially this weekend the shoulder has hurt almost constantly. It's not excruciating pain by any means but I wonder do I really want to wait 3 more months to have it corrected. But that MIGHT mean visiting the world sporting an arm sling and that does not seem very appealing either not to mention not able to ride some attractuibs and I already have FP for FOP scheduled.

Have any of you ever had to wear a sling to the world and if you have is it something you would never do again or did you just adapt?

I tore my labrum and there is no way would I go. While sitting at home, it may not be horrible, but walking around, going on an attraction, being bumped in a crowd and bam! The pain will be intense. Or it was for me.

My advice is to get the surgery as soon as possible, like tomorrow or next week, because if not you are just going to lengthen the pain and delay the recovery process.

After the surgery, it was a good 8 weeks or more before I would of felt like going to Disney. And even then I didn't have my full range of motion back. It is difficult to rest with a sling. You need lots of physical therapy. It's just not fun. You will be cranky.

Once you get over the hump, you're back to normal, but it does take some time.

Personally I don't see why it would be all that terrible.
Although I'd also probably just stick to the current dates especially because you will probably have restrictions as to what you can ride if you get the surgery and then go while recovering.

Well having had that surgery last year, I was back to work in 3 weeks. Out of the sling in less than 10 days. BUT I'm not sure I'd want to get bumped and jostled at Disney.

As to putting the surgery off, every day you wait, you take the risk of doing more damage and extending recovery time. Get it done now!!!

Most of you have posted what my head knew but my heart did not want to hear. It WOULD be crazy to risk it. I would probably never have a fall there (never have before) but wearing the sling will change ordinary things, possibly even balance a little. And a fall or a bump would not be fun!

I've used the heating pad this afternoon and taken some pain med and it does seem a little better. I'll probably do all I can to wait till December but if that is not possible and we have to wait, DW understands and supports and we will do what we need to do. Pixie dust that is now needed though!

Last edited:
I've had that surgery. There would have been NO way for me to travel, let alone to WDW in the first month after surgery. I anticipated being off work for 3 weeks and ended up extending it 3 more. That may not be your experience, but ... take care of yourself first. The 'world' will wait.

My husband had a torn labrum fixed several years ago and he said he wouldn't have wanted to ride anything for a good few months afterward. Every small bump would hurt. I hope you're able to come up with a time frame that would allow you to heal up and then have fun at the world.

I have had surgery on both shoulders at different times (different types than yours, but painful and in sling) and a resounding 'NO' to visiting Disney very soon after!!! In fact, because of pain, would not have gone before either! Not very much fun 'trying' to have fun when you are hurting!

I recommend having the surgery asap and postponing the trip for late spring or early summer. Heal yourself first, then celebrate at Disney.

Personally I don't see why it would be all that terrible.
Although I'd also probably just stick to the current dates especially because you will probably have restrictions as to what you can ride if you get the surgery and then go while recovering.

Have you ever had shoulder surgery?? Just curious, as your reply sounds like someone that has never experienced the pain of it!!

Have you ever had shoulder surgery?? Just curious, as your reply sounds like someone that has never experienced the pain of it!!
I'm curious about this myself. Other than that one post, the consensus is a unanimous and demonstrative "NO".

Last edited:

I've been living with a torn rotator cuff for a few years.
I have not had surgery on it as of yet.
I've also broken my arm and wore a sling to the parks at a younger age.
I didn't think walking around in the sling was a big deal just that I was not able to go on a few attractions.

I'm curious about this myself. Other than that one post, the consensus is a unanimous and demonstrative "NO".

Actually it would seem that most people are saying postpone the trip and have the surgery which would mean that the poster would go in a sling... Or did I just read this thread totally incorrectly?

Last edited:
I think most of us are saying have the surgery now and put the trip off until his shoulder has healed, like several months later.

I actually had this surgery on June 2nd and headed to WDW June 13th. I was uncomfortable at times--especially sleeping--but I was very careful. I didn't ride any rides that were rough or required holding on. I did ride ToT--a mistake but I couldn't resist. Overall, I'd do it again--but I'm headed back in Oct--so missing some rides wasn't a big deal.

I would discuss it with your doctor.

I went about three weeks after breaking my humerus a few years back. The major break was just below the ball joint with a hairline fracture in the ball.

I was worried about getting my arm hit but that did not really happen. I do not remember skipping any rides though I would suggest skipping dinosaur. That was the roughest ride for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter