Would you rent a hotel room just to "live" on the beach?

Well no, this is like going just to go, not doing everything that would come with an actual vacation.
I don't live close enough to an actual beach where this would be financially and time-wise realistic.

That said people do go the the Lake of the Ozarks in the fall and winter when boating would not be the thing to do so in those cases people are usually just going to be at the lake and enjoy the ambiance more so I get the concept of now what you're talking about.

Yes, we love the beach… salt air & sand & waves are life. (My dad says it’s because our ancestors are from Cornwall, England, so ”salt life” is in my blood. I don’t know if there’s any actual truth to that or not, but I’ve loved the ocean & being near the ocean my whole life.)

In the summer of 2020, we rented a beachfront condo on the beach w/ an ocean/beach view, &, due to the pandemic, we basically just lived on the beach for about 10 days. We didn’t do any of the touristy things or go anywhere while there except for our condo & the beach. We bought groceries through online grocery orders & ate all our meals in the condo. (My husband did go into a couple of fish markets for fresh shrimp & fish.)

It was glorious & one of the most relaxing vacations we’ve ever taken.

Last edited:
Well no, this is like going just to go, not doing everything that would come with an actual vacation.

I don't get what you are getting at? What is the difference between what you are proposing an actual vacation? They are the same.

Meaning just getting a room on the boardwalk just to take in the fresh air and look over the water. I've always found it to be pretty chill.
My wife and I get rooms right on Hollywood Beach every so often just to relax. Got one up in Clearwater a few months ago that opened right up on the sand.

Sunrises over the Atlantic are beautiful. And sunsets on the left coast are too.

I'm failing to see a difference.

I live 30 minutes from a number of beaches and still will grab a room just to wake up to the ocean breeze and go for a morning swim and walk down the beach. I'm not a tourist, I'm a local. And I still see it as a vacation. I don't need expensive dinner or goofy excursions.

No. I don't find the beach relaxing at all. It's busy, loud, windy, sand is annoying, etc. We go there for a couple hours a year so my son can boogie board, but I hardly ever just go to sit and stare at the water or walk along the beach. It's all just too much hassle.

I’m at the beach frequently to relax or walk. It’s minutes away… why we chose where we are.
we used to rent beach homes … just lazy beach days , cards or board games n cocktails in the evening and Repeat!
Do u mean grab a hotel room to just wake up at the beach?
well no need to now but yeah, that’d be in our groove years back.

No. I don't find the beach relaxing at all. It's busy, loud, windy, sand is annoying, etc. We go there for a couple hours a year so my son can boogie board, but I hardly ever just go to sit and stare at the water or walk along the beach. It's all just too much hassle.

I completely get what you are saying. When I was young we went to New Jersey beaches and I remember having to get there early to grab a good spot. They were packed.... As opposed to going to the beach now that I live in Washington State. The beaches are deserted. No one there even in July. Probably because the water temperature is still 55 degrees even in the Summer.

I completely get what you are saying. When I was young we went to New Jersey beaches and I remember having to get there early to grab a good spot. They were packed.... As opposed to going to the beach now that I live in Washington State. The beaches are deserted. No one there even in July. Probably because the water temperature is still 55 degrees even in the Summer.

Yeah, we live like 15 minutes from Newport Beach, and it's absolutely beautiful, but I just don't feel the draw of just going there to go there. And the traffic, and parking, ugh. The "boardwalk" there is so busy and the beach home rentals are insanely priced and at the end of the day, we are all over the beach in about an hour of being there. We like living near AN ocean (feel trapped otherwise) but don't actually spend large amounts of time there.

We do this! When we visit my mom in the gulf side we stay at sunset vista on the beach. We may walk in the beach once or twice but that’s it. I don’t like the sand and I won’t go into the water. (Jaws came out at an impressionable age 🙄). Plus hubs said we can stay here, 4th floor, full view of the water on the balcony w the added advantage of a fridge, bathroom and AC right behind us. 👍🏻

We rent a beach house at the jersey shore every year. I must be able to see water from the deck, most years we’ve been oceanfront, this year we are 3 houses from the beach but have ocean/bay views from every window. My favorite thing to do is hang on the deck. Because we are oceanfront there are zero crowds, just walk over the dune.

Last time we went to FL we got a VRBO with an ocean view. It was amazing. It is so nice sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee watching the sun come up. It is also great in the evening to sit with a glass of wine as it gets dark.

I would like to do that more than one week a year for sure, but I do not think I would want to do it permanently. I would have nothing to look forward to.

I love the beach, but it does come with it's share of hassle; sand, having to sunscreen up every time etc... I really like sitting by the waters edge and wading out in the water a little bit. I do not go very far out or get serious about trying to "swim" in the ocean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!