Would you rent a car?

tink20

DIS Veteran
If your personal car had 110,000 miles on it. WDW is 525 miles one way. To rent a car will cost me about $250. I am trying to save money on this trip, but I just don't know...... what would you do?

As long as I felt my car was in good mechanical condition I would drive my own. And I have

Good luck

Is it in good working order? Has your mechanic given you any reason to think it won't make the trip? Swing in and ask them to check it out and let you know. Most cars today can make that trip with no issues.

I've had cars with that many miles I barely trusted to get me to work, and others that I wouldn't blink at using on a VERY long road trip. Just depends on your car. If it's been reliable so far, no reason to think it would suddenly change (I'd have all your belts, hoses, and brake pads checked before a long trip though).

One question though - what kind of gas mileage does your car get? If you get 15MPG with your current car, maybe renting something that gets twice that (assuming you & your family would fit) would be worth it?????

If you have been doing all your regular PMs (preventive maintenance) and the car is running well, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

As others have posted, have your mechanic check possible trouble areas such as belts, hoses, and brakes. Also check the wear on your tires and that your spare is properly inflated.

I drove a 95 Nissan with 200k down to my daughter for her to use while in college in southern California (about 350 miles) and the only problem I had was that my cell phone battery died.

But if you want peace of mind, try finding a rental car cheaper than $250. There are lots of codes out there that can bring your rate down. What size car were you looking at and what time period?

I agree with the rest of the posters. If your car is in good condition and gets decent gas mileage, there's no reason to rent. :)

Well (knock on wood) haven't had any problems. When I had the oil changed, the service man mentioned "replacing the valve cover gaskets". My DDs boyfriend (who is pretty knowledgeable "said it looked okay") but I am going to take it to DHs friend who is a mechanic, to look at it.

My vehicle is a Nissan Xterra, so "NO" it doesn't get good gas mileage. I have decided not to get a new car just yet, its been nice not having a car note the past few years. Maybe I should just rent for piece of mind. It will only be DH, DS and myself going (end of May,first of June), so don't need a big car. I hope I can find a discount. It just seems like the expense for this trip keeps growing. Thanks!

*snip* Maybe I should just rent for piece of mind. It will only be DH, DS and myself going (end of May,first of June), so don't need a big car. I hope I can find a discount. It just seems like the expense for this trip keeps growing. Thanks!

Even a simple Costco code can save some money. Not sure where you live but I came up with the following rates using MOB (Mobile Airport, AL), June 02-09, Full Size car. All rate include applicable taxes and fees.

Alamo (7015309) $191
Avis (A108326) $220
Budget (W852802) $208
Enterprise (CST999W) $215

HTH, Steve

Even a simple Costco code can save some money. Not sure where you live but I came up with the following rates using MOB (Mobile Airport, AL), June 02-09, Full Size car. All rate include applicable taxes and fees.

Alamo (7015309) $191
Avis (A108326) $220
Budget (W852802) $208
Enterprise (CST999W) $215

HTH, Steve

Thanks, so I just use those codes.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter