Would you Pay Rack Rate?

Would you pay what Disney technically charges?

• Yes, the resort we stay in would not change without discounts

• No, we would downgrade our room/resort choice or go offsite

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Like I said before, doesn't really matter to me. I can afford to pay the full price anyway and can easily swing another trip this year too. Not sure why people get so hyper about other people's finances and budgets. We all should do what works for us. For me, i don't like having to call back to adjust things. YMMV.

I wasn't getting hyper about your budget. I stay deluxe club level with deluxe dining etc. I don't care what others think. If I can save a few bucks I definetly do it. If your ok paying more for your room than you have to thats your choice. I like to upgrade if I get a good discount. I'm all for getting the most for my money.

ETA: Personally, I think Disney has inflated their rack rates to accommodate the discounts (the same way they have inflated dining prices to accommodate FD). If Disney had never started giving discounts, I think their rates would be 30% to 40% lower. Therefore, I don't think they ever intend to stop discounts, especially during particular times of the year. Even if they intend to, I don't think they could. There are some great offsite choices (that are still pretty much onsite, like DTD). If I had to choose between two value rooms onsite for $250 or 2 rooms at Hilton in DTD for $150, I'd choose Hilton.

I agree. I think Disney has priced their resorts in such a way that they are wildly profitable when people book rack rate and still solidly profitable when people use discount codes. I don't think we'll ever see a total return to rack rate, just a scaling back of the discounts so that we're excited about 20 or 30% codes, free quick-service dining, free ticket upgrades, etc. rather than the spectacular deals they've run to fill rooms during this recession.

I guess I should post my opinion too :laughing:.

If Disney got rid of discounts all together we would probably stay moderate like we used to instead of staying at the more expensive deluxe resorts like we have been in recent years. I guess I'm more curious to see if people who stay in rooms that can be well over $400-$500 a night would still continue to do so.

THis would be us exactly.
THe pins and codes have allowed us to enjoy Monorail Deluxes that we would never pay rack rate for. If no discounts are available, I would be willing to pay rack rate for a moderate. We always enjoyed POR/FQ and would have no problem going back.

Actually we did pay rack rate for POFQ once. We hadn't thought we could go that year due to schedules. We were able to fit a trip in our schedule but it was less than a month away by that time. THere were absolutely no discounts available then. Not even AAA rates were available. So it was pay rack rate or not go. It was value season though, so not too bad.

Very interesting looks like historically my dates will see nothing until end of July or early August and by then I doubt whether the catogory room I have booked will be available.

I already voted that I would still stay on-site and pay rack rate if no discounts were abvailable, I have always booked early to secure the resort and room type I want, getting a pin# this year was a bonus even if it was for only 20% off, since in previous years I did pay rack rate, unaware of any discounts being offered.

Maybe the cat. you booked won't be avail, maybe yes. Sometimes my cat. isn't available with the discount, but upgrading to the next level cost me the same with the discount. At WL I had booked standard view, but discount was for woods view or courtyard, so I upgraded to woods view for the same price as standard. I was good with that!

Like I said before, doesn't really matter to me. I can afford to pay the full price anyway and can easily swing another trip this year too. Not sure why people get so hyper about other people's finances and budgets. We all should do what works for us. For me, i don't like having to call back to adjust things. YMMV.

Just a suggestion- you could book using a Disney specialized TA, they charge nothing for their excellent services, and let them do all the looking for discounts! I have occas. used one, because I didn't have the time to watch for discounts. My TA often knew a day or 2 before discounts were released, and if it saved me money, automaticall applied it to my reservation, then e mailed me to tell me how much money I saved :goodvibes

I have used a TA in the past and it wasn't a horrible experience. If I could find one that I was sure they knew what they doing- i would use one again. In my case, i have to book pretty far in advance so that doesn't help. I also find the phone system very user- unfriendly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter