Would you pay for some of your vacation with Disney Gift cards?

WeLoveLilo05

DIS Veteran
So far I have probably used $300 worth of Disney Store gift cards to pay for my vacation.
I just saved up another $250, would you put it on a Disney gift card?
What happens if you pay 1/2 or your vacation with Disney gift cards and then half with your debit card and then for whatever reason cancel your vacation, how is your money refunded to you?
We have no foreseeable reason to cancel, but life hands you surprises (which is why we have vacation insurance).

If you don't currently have a gift card, I'm not sure why you would get a card just to use it up. Just use your debit! You will have refunding issues if you pay on gift cards. You'll get a gift card back which will be then kinda useless until you go back! This is why we always wait to pay off our balance until 45 days "just in case" something happens. Then we don't have to wait around for refunds ;)

I would never pay for lodging with a gift card. Too many issues and problems with that type of transaction.

I am not a fan of gift cards.

herc.

I use Disney GCs to pay for meals, treats, souveniers etc @ DLR, for DD's B-day trip we're spending 2 nights @ the DLH - the 1st night is already paid for, perhaps I'll pay for our 2nd night with a GC *when we check in.

I'm not sure how they handle split payments, but I've read many times on this board that if you pay with a gift card and cancel, it gets put back on the giftcard. So do not throw away a gift card used for payment. They are not allowed to put it on another card and will not give you the gift card # originally used.

If you have a debit card I would use that even if you do it a little at a time. I would only use Disney cards for things once I am in the park. I am going to get a few so I don't need as much cash and can give them to my teens if they decide to eat elsewhere or even from a different line.

I think that if you cancel the money does indeed get placed back on the gift card.
When we went, I opted for GC simply so I would not have the option of using that money on something else. I paid the hotel using a debit card/CC, then used the GC to cover the meals, tips, souvies and anything else we charged to the room.
And before any one mentions the issue of paying tips with GC, I actually charged the tip to my room and then went to the front desk the night before check out and paid the balance off.

I got a package and its kind of a mixed bag, so far I would say I used about $300 in GCs to pay it off and about $600 with the debit card.
I will probably just pay the rest of it with the debit.

We just got back, and although are DVC members, and the room is already "Paid" for, I did use the Disney GC as the credit card for the room. Worked out great. I just went to Guest Services to get a printout of charges every couple of days to keep the balance in check. It was a $400 GC and my balance the night before came to $406.19 so I gave them the $6.19 and it felt awesome not to have a CC charge. I think the GC's worked out great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!