Would you like to have your own business?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Tai-San, Jan 5, 2019.

1. moon

moon DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing! I wish you and your wife continued success:)

2. Lilacs4Me

Lilacs4Me DIS Veteran

No - I have been a small business owner twice, and it's not for me.

In the first, our POS wasn't ever going to be enough to support us - it was just enough to pay for business expenses. We were young and stupid.

In the 2nd, we actually were pretty successful for a while, but as the business grew, and the expenses and problems grew with it, I don't think we were business-educated enough to know what needed to be done. That was about 10 years ago, and I sometimes wish that, with the business knowledge that I have now, we could have a "do-over" but then I remember the sleepless nights and having to pay everyone else before us, and I realize I am just fine and dandy right where I am!

3. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

No! We've had family and friends that have/had their own businesses. Some were very successful, others not at all. But, one thing they had in common - long hours (especially beginning years), headaches, with various issues (one, being employees) etc.

Dh had a successful job that he could leave at 5pm and not have to think of it again until 8am. Vacations, sick leave, personal days, ins. - all paid.
    Now retired, with benefits - nope, no regrets.

Our ds & dil have their own business on Outer Banks and have been very successful, but they worked hard, still do, even though now have responsible employees, so they can now take more relaxing trips.

It's definitely not for everyone.

4. VandVsmama

VandVsmama DIS Veteran

If it's a MLM business, no way.