Would you go the week of 5/4/20? Between 2 cheer comps

Lilylogan

Mouseketeer
I need to plan a wdw trip because 2019 has been a heck of a year for me (tumor destroyed my wrist, chemo, 2 surgeries....). We usually go either in May or Oct/Nov and I really don't want to wait until next fall to go.

The week of May 4th looks like lower crowds for that month - there is the worlds cheer competition there the week before and another cheer competition the week after 5/4.

We've been when cheerleaders/pop warner were at WDW and just didn't stay in a value resort and just avoided a ride if we saw them heading toward it.

I talked to my friend who is a former cheer coach and took kids to WDW for 10 years for competitions and she said she wouldn't go at all in early May because people will stay between the competitions etc.

What do you think? I reeeeeally want to go this spring. Would you go 5/4 and just stay in a deluxe?

May is one of the few months I haven’t travelled to WDW, but from what I read/watch around these parts, I’d LOVE to go in early May. It’s sort of like a mini version of right now (early Sept) but with a bit cooler temps. A magical window in between major school schedules, you still get Flower & Garden, etc.

Sure you may get some of those competitions, but those are relatively small in the context of WDW crowds (unless you happen to be staying at one of their resorts).

Sounds like a good time to me!

Best wishes for your continued recovery and making it back to WDW sooner rather than later.

If I could go at any time of the year, that would be my absolute #1 pick. The weather is great and the crowds are very manageable. Cheer competitions don't really have much effect on attendance.

I wouldn't stay at a deluxe, though

I have been in early to mid May many times in the past and it has always been great. Crowds are usually manageable, weather is usually nice (although one year it was Hot). it is actually one of my favorite times of year to go. As far as what level of Resort i would guess that Mod or Deluxe would keep you away from the people there for the competitions.

As a dad of 2 cheerleaders, I can tell you we went to D2 Summit in May this year and hardly got to go to the parks due to practice/competition. They had one night that was cheer exclusive, but we weren't even let into MK until after 9pm. We're planning on going next May again, and we're not counting on much park time with the boys. Luckily, my boys are older, so we can leave them with coaches/friends a lot more. Don't think for a second my wife and I won't leave them for some Flower and Garden time. HA!

I have gone during that week many times and plan to go next year as well. It’s the best time to go, in my opinion. I usually don’t see the cheer/dance teams in the parks (though I had a memorable Haunted Mansion ride with a cheer team - those girls can really scream) and I normally stay at deluxe resorts, so I rarely see them there.

My friend and I have gone for the past 3 yrs in last week of Apr/first week of May, and though it really was perfect in terms of the weather, be on the lookout for the lovebug swarms. They can get really annoying.

We are going May 2-9, 2020. It will be our first trip this week and are staying at Caribbean Beach even though this is a resort the cheerleaders use. We really want to try CB. It was the week that works for our group and I didnt want to wait until fall either.

Love May!!!!! We have traveled all the weeks but early May is the best. Cheers are there but they are busy and not usually having much time in parks. It is still school so not like they can really add on too much time for fun.

I just would never stay at the values or the moderate where they are offered. By 7 am and have at times had it until 2 am ... cheering outside practicing. [You can look up the Cheer Championship sites and pull the registration info where they can stay.]

May is THE BEST! Definitely go that time of year. The weather is great, little, if any rain- crowds tend to be lower because it's after spring break and before the summer. Kids are testing and exams and all that.

You will love it. I think the flower and garden festival is then as well, no? I can't keep track.

And well wishes to you and your recovery. You deserve this trip!

May is THE BEST! Definitely go that time of year. The weather is great, little, if any rain- crowds tend to be lower because it's after spring break and before the summer. Kids are testing and exams and all that.

You will love it. I think the flower and garden festival is then as well, no? I can't keep track.

And well wishes to you and your recovery. You deserve this trip!

YES! My favorite festival. :flower1:

I went May this year. I was dreading the cheer competitions because they were staying at the same hotel.

It was totally fine. No added presence felt in the parks and compared to I think most other groups of pre-teens/teens, super well behaved. The times I did run into the groups they were in such large numbers that they were easy to avoid.

And it bears repeating that the weather is EXCELLENT that time of year. Do it!

i went last week of april this year and midweek crowds were great . we also got a great deal $164 a night for 5 berth at caribbean for 4 nights sun-thur . if we added sat or fri each side it would have pushed the avg up to $224 a night . the sale started at the start of the year

My friend and I have gone for the past 3 yrs in last week of Apr/first week of May, and though it really was perfect in terms of the weather, be on the lookout for the lovebug swarms. They can get really annoying.
I went in mid-May this year, and those bugs were everywhere. All over the seats in parking lot trams. Also there was one day it rained for hours on end. Not eager to do May again, although I've heard there were more bugs than usual this year.

May is beautiful weather wise! And crowds aren't bad. I did have one night at a value one time with a older cheer group just screaming at like midnight or 1 am for what felt like 20 minutes - but it was probably 10 minutes. So - you can have a disruption like that at a resort they are staying at - but I've never experienced this to be a "happening at the time" problem during a cheer competition. Now..... let me tell you about a Brazilian tour group my room was close to one time..... they were impossible...... Disney agreed to move me that time.

I went the first week of May this year for the first time, and it was a pretty good time to go. There were cheer competitions, but they didn't really seem to affect crowds that much. It was pretty hot and we did have some love bugs, but it didn't rain at all, which was great. I would go again at that time.

For sure. Early May before some southern schools start letting out is one of the best times in the year to go! It is VERY hot then though.

We went that week this year and stayed at Pop. We had zero issues with cheerleading groups. Crowds were generally low and 3 of the 5 days the weather was good, 2 days it was over 90 and too hot for us.

I went the week of May 7, 2018. I feel like crowds were manageableish (we had a stroller and two non youngsters slowing us down). It was hot, but I don't remember it feeling humid...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter