Would you choose water view CSR or Standard view AKL ($118 more per night)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by VAfamily1998, Jan 11, 2017.

1. VAfamily1998

VAfamily1998 DIS Veteran

The trip is in mid April (we are running the Star Wars Dark side 10k, so dates are non negotiable.) It will be myself and my two sons who are 17 and 10. We have all been to Disney multiple times.

I stayed at Casitas 4 in CSR back in June 2015 and LOVED it! My 10 year old was with me that trip, but not the 17 year old. The waterview (standard view is unavailable) rate for my dates is $200/night.

The Standard view AKL rate is $318. Neither of my kids have been to AKL before, but I stayed in a Savanna room in Feb. 2016. I loved the resort, but I felt like I was not in the room enough to really enjoy the savanna view. For this upcoming trip though, we will only do ONE park day (Sunday) and will be staying Friday-Monday morning...

FWIW, our current ADRs and other plans are
    a late afternoon Ohana on Friday,
    a late morning Boma on Saturday, and possibly La Nouba and dinner at Disney Springs at night
    Park day (HS and Epcot, with an ADR in Epcot) on Sunday
    Sunday our flight is at 2, so the 11 am check out time should coincide perfect with Magical Express pick up time! I haven't planned our breakfast yet.

Anyway, considering our plans do you think the additional $118/night for Standard view AKL would be worth it?

2. hakepb

hakepb DIS Veteran

That sounds like a good enough plan to try AKL. And if you like Boma enough, you might want it again on Monday.

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort.

to hide this advert.
  4. DisneyQueen1320

DisneyQueen1320 DIS Veteran

I would stay at AKL, it's such a beautiful resort.

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  5. VAfamily1998

VAfamily1998 DIS Veteran

Hmmm. I've never been to Boma but have definitely heard excellent things about it! Do you think it is good enough to do twice in a short trip? :)

6. hakepb

hakepb DIS Veteran

On our first AKL stay, we did :goodvibes (by changing a later in the week ADR to Boma)

I realize not everyone has the same preferences, so you may want to book a backup option, then decide what you want after your 1st Boma experience.

There are a lot of similiar items on the Boma and Tusker House menus, so we typically only book Boma when staying at AKL..but one of the perks of a Deluxe is being able to walk to a favorite restaurant .:cool1: (Instead of leaving your room 60-90 min before the ADR)

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  7. addiln

addiln DIS Veteran

I am a fan of AKL but I am not sure it is worth the extra money for a short trip. I would save the money this time around and try for a savannah view the next trip around. We had that a couple years ago and loved it.

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  8. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

While CSR is our favorite moderate, we also LOVE AKL.

We have had savanna and non-savanna, and even without the savanna there are lots of places, even tucked away balconies you can observe the animals.

Shorter trip is a perfect time to try a new resort, especially if you plan some down resort time.

The BOMA breakfast is very good.

mickeynut1, VAfamily1998 and dtstampz like this.
  9. Minnesota!

Minnesota! Shoeless in Minnesota

AKL...without hesitation.

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  10. mrswillson

mrswillson disney wife

AKL! The views are great no matter which you pick (savannah is really worth the extra money though). My husband and I got married overlooking it and it truly is our favorite resort of them all.

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  11. Quellman

Quellman Donald Duck

Depending how you feel about spending money, $300+ total dollars is a lot to enhance your vacation other ways. Just be aware that traveling between resorts is time consuming if you rely on Disney transportation.

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  12. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

AKL!! (Granted I'd stay off property before I'd stay at CSR, but that's just me.)

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  13. crazylady

crazylady Mouseketeer

I vote AKL and I'd hang there on Sat night to really enjoy it.

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  14. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

AKL. I'd eat at Jiko not Boma. Paying 45+ for a buffet isn't my thing. I like to be waited on for that price. Maybe I've just been on too many cruises where buffets are included. Jiko is fantastic though, and definitely worth a try. It may cost a little more in the long run, but IMHO a better value.

dtstampz, crazylady and VAfamily1998 like this.
  15. mikedoyleblogger

mikedoyleblogger Traded in Disneyland for Magic Kingdom

I love CSR, but with such a relatively small price differential (which surprises me!), I would choose AKL, too. It just makes sense with the Boma breakfast. If you do choose Coronado, just Uber over to Boma. It'll save a lot of time.

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  16. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Another vote for AKL.

17. mi*vida*loca

mi*vida*loca Collect memories, not things

Short trip with only one park day I would definitely do AKL SV.