Would you change your trip based on updates to the Crowd Calendar?

WaltsMartini

Mouseketeer
I am torn. Our original trip was for 9/11-9/15, with MK on Thurs 9/12, AK on Fri 9/13, and DHS for Toy Story Land on Sat 9/14. This is DS(4)’s first trip and really trying for low crowds.

Originally, all crowd calendar projections on Touring Plans were at a 1 or 2. Now, with the announcement that shall not be named, crowd projections have changed: a 6 for DHS on all weekdays (8 on weekends) and now 6 for AK on Friday 9/13.

If I modify our reservation AND change our flights, I can push our trip to one day earlier. This means AK’s crowd prediction changes to 3, and DHS down to a 6.

Would you go through the trouble of changing your trip based on updated crowd projections?

In my opinion, no way.

It’s all just shades of grey anyway. You’re going to be there within 2 weeks of a major land opening, arguably the most significant new WDW addition since DAK. Buckle up and enjoy!

Crowd calendars are just a projection. I would move a trip one day earlier. The majority of the crowd levels will be the same whether you do move it earlier or keep it and those crowd projections could be off.

Nope. You're going to be there during "said" grand opening. I don't really think one day forward or one day backward is going to make that much of a difference. Take a deep breath, buckle your seat belts, and just go for it!:thumbsup2

Nope. Avoid major holidays for the crazy times. But outside of that, every day is still going to be somewhat busy.

Going with the crowd here. If you were asking about changing to a few months away, that’s one thing. But just move it by 1 day? If it is more convenient for your family to travel on the new day, sure, do it. I personally don’t see 1 day making much of a difference in any park crowd this September.

Also, IMO, Disney killed the last possible “low crowd” week that was left. So just go with it & enjoy your vacation!

Adding: that TP crowd calendar will probably change at least 3 or 4 times between now & September. So you could change it & end up going on a 9 day anyway.

Nope, I would not put that much stock in any crowd calendar. Under normal circumstances it could change monthly between now and then. There really is no “slow time” to go anymore, and even then 1 day is not going to make a noticeable difference. I’ve been to various parks on various projected crowd levels and I can safely say I couldn’t tell the difference.

Nope, I just use the crowd calendars to set my expectations and to help me figure out which park to go to on which day.

Would you go through the trouble of changing your trip based on updated crowd projections?
Are you still thinking of adding on 1 park day in addition to adding park hopping which you had posted on the sub forum?

If adding the park day and hoppers, there’s no reason to fly out earlier just because of a crowd estimate.

I can’t believe the crowd calendar didn’t change to a 9 or 10 honestly. If the days you have now work for you, I wouldn’t change them. Look for other things to help reduce crowds like rope drop and emm, avoiding emh, etc.

I am torn. Our original trip was for 9/11-9/15, with MK on Thurs 9/12, AK on Fri 9/13, and DHS for Toy Story Land on Sat 9/14. This is DS(4)’s first trip and really trying for low crowds.

Originally, all crowd calendar projections on Touring Plans were at a 1 or 2. Now, with the announcement that shall not be named, crowd projections have changed: a 6 for DHS on all weekdays (8 on weekends) and now 6 for AK on Friday 9/13.

If I modify our reservation AND change our flights, I can push our trip to one day earlier. This means AK’s crowd prediction changes to 3, and DHS down to a 6.

I would not change your trip. I would just recommend that you get there 30 minutes before rope drop. No day is not busy, and the crowd calendars could change for the new dates.

I can sympathize because I tried really hard to find a low crowd week too and put a lot of stock in touring plans’ crowd calendar predictions. On our most recent trip the predictions changed multiple times and I thought they were predicting too low for the week I had booked... sure enough, as it got closer the prediction got higher. Also, touring plans tends to accurately predict +/- 1 but that means a prediction is lower than actual crowds frequently. I wouldn’t put so much stock in their predictions that I would change my trip around over a single day. As a previous poster said, rope drop and a fast pass strategy will probably be a better solution.

I can’t believe the crowd calendar didn’t change to a 9 or 10 honestly. If the days you have now work for you, I wouldn’t change them. Look for other things to help reduce crowds like rope drop and emm, avoiding emh, etc.
TPs explained that the DHS number is for everything outside SWGE and that SWGE will be considered a 10 every day for a long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter