Would upgrading from a 5B to 4B be worth the extra $$$

happytime

Mouseketeer
There is a cabin open that I would like to get on Deck 8. It's in a great location--quiet area above, near elevators. Currently we have a cabin on Deck 7. The difference in price is extra (cough) $330 --that's $115 total for each of us or $10.40 more per day pp--for more floor space, an extra chair (or Murphy bed) and bigger bathroom. This cruise is a huge mile stone (45 years) wedding anniversary trip for us.

I'm on the fence. The cruise is PIF. It's already a veranda between sleeping decks. This deck has a laundry room really close but far enough away. Not sure about Deck 8. But...it's a long cruise, and we have 5 sea days. We do spend some quiet time each day in our rooms, though of the two of us, I'm out of the room more than hubby. lol I like the idea of an extra chair for the comfort. So hard to choose.

Worth it? Thoughts on those who would AND/or wouldn't do it. I also have planned ahead and have Disney gift cards to spend once on board.

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't, but I didn't spend much time in my stateroom on my cruise, plus I'm a solo traveler and don't need much space. If you spend a lot of time in there, especially together, you may be glad for the extra space and the extra chair. Cat 5 and 4 are verandahs, right? So I'm guessing if you're already planning on a verandah you're probably the kind of people who like to get enjoyment out of the stateroom itself.

So I guess that's what it comes down to for me...do you spend a lot of time in your stateroom? It seems like a pretty insignificant upgrade to me for its $330 price tag, but your priorities may be different to mine. Have you felt cramped in previous staterooms that are smaller than the one you're considering? Has being in a less ideal location been inconvenient to you? If you've stayed in staterooms more similar to your deck 7 stateroom and been happy with them, I'd put the money toward port adventures, the spa, bingo, or booze instead. If you think the deck 8 stateroom will give you more breathing space, make your stay more pleasant due to its location, etc., by all means book it and enjoy letting yourself splurge on it a little.

I probably wouldn't, but I didn't spend much time in my stateroom on my cruise, plus I'm a solo traveler and don't need much space. If you spend a lot of time in there, especially together, you may be glad for the extra space and the extra chair. Cat 5 and 4 are verandahs, right? So I'm guessing if you're already planning on a verandah you're probably the kind of people who like to get enjoyment out of the stateroom itself.

So I guess that's what it comes down to for me...do you spend a lot of time in your stateroom? It seems like a pretty insignificant upgrade to me for its $330 price tag, but your priorities may be different to mine. Have you felt cramped in previous staterooms that are smaller than the one you're considering? Has being in a less ideal location been inconvenient to you? If you've stayed in staterooms more similar to your deck 7 stateroom and been happy with them, I'd put the money toward port adventures, the spa, bingo, or booze instead. If you think the deck 8 stateroom will give you more breathing space, make your stay more pleasant due to its location, etc., by all means book it and enjoy letting yourself splurge on it a little.

You certainly have given me food for thought. We are not big drinkers, usually purchasing 1 or 2 drinks for a total cruise of this length. The spa is too expensive and maybe one bingo game per cruise would be about it. And you are correct about the veranda. We have had the balconies for the last 7 cruises. We're not too much into being in the crowds on the upper decks, except for departure (especially leaving out of Port Canaveral) or going through special time like the Panama Canal or under the Golden Gate Bridge. Other than those kind of special moments, we will retreat to the privacy and space of the veranda to enjoy our private feeling and space. We also like to eat breakfast in the mornings on the verandas, too.

What IS my hesitation is the extra $300 could be used to book another cruise while onboard, which is a good possibility regardless. LOL We also don't spend a lot of money in the shops either--maybe $300 but not much more than that even. We don't need a lot to make us happy, I guess.

Last edited:
I got the larger room. I felt that the difference in price was worth it because, of the total I was paying, it wasn't that great a savings to get more space (and we like our space). The 4s are better placed than the 5s, as well, in my opinion.

But you gasped after admitting the price difference. So that means your price point for value is different than mine. If you can think of ways you'd rather spend that money, then maybe it's not worth it to you. Only you can say for sure. And if it's just the two of you, maybe you won't need the extra room. Do you know if the cat 4 has the chair or the murphy bed? That might make a difference, too, if you're hoping for a chair that's not there.

Then again, it's your anniversary. If you can swing the extra money, then why not live in a little more luxury?

There is a cabin open that I would like to get on Deck 8. It's in a great location--quiet area above, near elevators. Currently we have a cabin on Deck 7. The difference in price is extra (cough) $330 --that's $115 total for each of us or $10.40 more per day pp--for more floor space, an extra chair and bigger bathroom. This cruise is a huge mile stone (45 years) wedding anniversary trip for us.

I'm on the fence. The cruise is PIF. It's already a veranda between sleeping decks. But...it's a long cruise, we have 5 sea days and we do spend some quiet time each day in our rooms, though of the two of us, I'm out of the room more than hubby. lol I like the idea of an extra chair for the comfort. So hard to choose.

Worth it? Thoughts on those who would AND/or wouldn't do it. I also have planned ahead and have Disney gift cards to spend once on board.
If the extra $300 is no big deal to you, I might do it. If the extra $300 is any kind of financial stretch, I definitely would not.

We sailed in a Cat 5 with 3 people in December and loved it. Great verandah, perfect location, beautiful stateroom, two bathrooms. It was awesome.

Another thing to consider is that you'll likely have more kids around if you get a Cat 4, because those are the "family-sized" staterooms.

I got the larger room. I felt that the difference in price was worth it because, of the total I was paying, it wasn't that great a savings to get more space (and we like our space). The 4s are better placed than the 5s, as well, in my opinion.

But you gasped after admitting the price difference. So that means your price point for value is different than mine. If you can think of ways you'd rather spend that money, then maybe it's not worth it to you. Only you can say for sure. And if it's just the two of you, maybe you won't need the extra room. Do you know if the cat 4 has the chair or the murphy bed? That might make a difference, too, if you're hoping for a chair that's not there.

Then again, it's your anniversary. If you can swing the extra money, then why not live in a little more luxury?

Thanks for your input. It's not such a large amount of money in the end, except for what I usually book. I love the idea of the extra space because I feel the rooms can be a bit tight at times. This will be our 4th Disney cruise.

It's funny because my concern is like when I first upgraded from an inside cabin to a veranda. I never went back to the inside. If I upgrade to the next level, will I not want to go back to that previous level?

My rational for this particular cruise is the money value for the 11 nights seems pretty nominal overall considering that a cruise out of Port Canaveral and two Castaway Cay days seems YIKES! for the same kind of value.

Edited to add: I think the room does have a Murphy bed after all from the cabin reviews I just read through. I don't know if that's a deal breaker or not as it's just the two of us. But then again, it also means that this particular square footage will make the room look larger in open space then.

And I went online to check my particular booking and it's just a tad more than what I originally posted. I am not getting current rates, but rather the rates that was locked in on the day I booked. Still, in my opinion, a great value for a larger room.

Last edited:
So this is for your TA? 11 nights? I do not think the number of children would be a factor, there are not usually many at all on TA. Enjoy your space, go for it!

Bobbi:boat:

There is a cabin open that I would like to get on Deck 8. It's in a great location--quiet area above, near elevators. Currently we have a cabin on Deck 7. The difference in price is extra (cough) $330 --that's $115 total for each of us or $10.40 more per day pp--for more floor space, an extra chair (or Murphy bed) and bigger bathroom. This cruise is a huge mile stone (45 years) wedding anniversary trip for us.

I'm on the fence. The cruise is PIF. It's already a veranda between sleeping decks. This deck has a laundry room really close but far enough away. Not sure about Deck 8. But...it's a long cruise, and we have 5 sea days. We do spend some quiet time each day in our rooms, though of the two of us, I'm out of the room more than hubby. lol I like the idea of an extra chair for the comfort. So hard to choose.

Yes and enjoy.

The extra floor space is quite a nice luxury if you spend time in your room, even with 2 people. I've never really felt cramped in a Disney room, but we have had a 4a as part of a VGT rate before, and it was just a nice enjoyable luxury.

I think in the overall scheme of things $300 isn't that much more money. But if it's just the two of you, I don't think it's worth it. We stayed in a cat 5 with our two kids and we had enough room. The one place I'd like more room is the width. It can be hard at the foot of the bed since only one person can comfortably walk through at a time. But the cat 4's just give you more length, so I don't think it would make an appreciable difference to me.

I like the larger rooms you get with being in a family room on deck 8 on the Magic/Wonder. That said I wouldn't do it again because you're right under the pool deck and for much of the day you heard deck chairs being dragged around or the thunder of kids running around.

I like the larger rooms you get with being in a family room on deck 8 on the Magic/Wonder. That said I wouldn't do it again because you're right under the pool deck and for much of the day you heard deck chairs being dragged around or the thunder of kids running around.

Understand.

We had plenty of deck 8 rooms and no issues, but read reports Of some who say this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter