Would I be entitled to ask for anything?

goofyandmore

Mouseketeer
My daughter, age 3 has hypotonia (low muscle tone),does not speak yet and has cognitive delays also caused from either premature labor or stresses of going into labor early. She can walk, but not for long distances. I will bring her in a carriage or stroller around the park. We are staying the Contemporary (wing)-myself, my husband, and 2 sons along with my daughter.

Should I ask for anything special from the resort or park? I know I need a refrigerator for her because she also has allergies and has special food and I mentioned this, but they reminded me it costs $10 a night-so I don't know.

Any ideas? Or should I do nothing-I know many people have larger problems? Thanks

goofyandmore

WELCOME TO DIS and disABILITIES!!! Im Wheelsie :) Yes Id go to the Guest Service in any park and introduce your daughter...explain her situations...and request a Guest Assistance Pass :) and also dont forget your Guidebook for handi guests....which you can get at any resort or park upon request!!! :)

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

cokewheelin.gif
dischat.gif

Do I wait until I get to guest services when I reach the hotel, or I arrange this by calling ahead? Also what is a Guest Assistance Pass? :)

goofyandmore

Guest Relations are in the parks. Check the map they give you at the hotel for the park you will be going to first for that parks guest relations location. Tell the Cast Member you need a guest assistance pass that will allow you to take the stroller in line with you.

Welcome. I am the other moderator of this Board. —CLICK HERE for a link to a thread about Guest Assistance Cards. At the very least, you should ask for one that will allow you to use your daughter's stroller as a wheelchair (like the other posters suggested). Strollers are not normally allowed to be in lines and buildings, but having your dd's in line with you would make your wait much easier on her and your whole family.
For the refrigerator, in the past they were supplied free of charge for people who needed one for medical reasons. Then too many people who really did not have a medical need asked for a free one and WDW started to charge for them. I don't know if this would work, but here is what I would do: Take a letter from your doctor telling why you need the refrigerator for her special food and show it to the CM when you check in. They may still say the charge is $10 a day, but at least you tried.
People have also kept food cold in their rooms with a cooler bought at a nearby store or brought along and filled with ice at the resort. The ice is free and I have read that most people use plastic bags to keep the water contained as the ice melts. They replace the ice in the morning and in the evening and felt that worked quite well.
Please ask any more questions that you can think of and we will all try our best to answer.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts