Worst Valentine's Day

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone has any bad Valentine's Day experiences to share. I have one. It's the first Valentine's Day I spent with my now DH. He should be happy we're still together. It started off badly and went downhill from there. When we were making plans I suggested that we make dinner reservations. He said we didn't need to because it was a weeknight. :rolleyes2 When we got to the steakhouse he wanted to take me to there was a line out the door. We ended up at a terrible pizza by the slice place. No one was there probably because everyone else was eating at better restaurants.

As a surprise, he got us tickets to local Shakespeare play since he knew I loved Shakespeare. Apparently he didn't bother to read reviews because I read them afterward and they were all awful. I definitely agreed with them. The play was Taming of the Shrew and the overly creative director decided to switch the cast's gender and make the now female characters aliens who came to Earth. I've liked plenty of creative Shakespeare productions but this was horrible and extremely confusing to boot. Even though I had seen the play before I couldn't figure out what was going on. Despite the crappy box of chocolates, I won in a raffle we left at intermission. It was that bad.

I'd love to hear everyone else's stories.

2 years ago we were with our 20 year old son who was having a bronchoscopy to check for lung cancer in his college town 5 hours away. That was a week from ####. Fortunately, it was not cancer, but a nasty fungal infection that will likely stay with him for ever.

Today, i attended a funeral for a 49 year old wife and mother.

So yea, not so great of a holiday recently

But, dh and I started dating 33 years ago on 2/12.

We buried my MIL 6 years ago on Valentine's Day. We all got along alright but DH's childhood was troubled and when she died rather unexpectedly, it ended any hope he and his siblings had of ever really resolving things. It was a very painful day and not necessarily for the right reasons. :sad1:

It’s hard during a holiday when family members have died on or near that holiday. My grandpa died at Easter when I was 7 and my mom and I still have a tough time then.

Wow. I expected this thread to be about funny bad dates on Valentine's Day. :sad1: My MIL died of lung cancer on Valentine's Day 12 years ago. Really bad memories of racing the 220 miles between our house and hers only to arrive one hour after she died. Family called us too late. There will always be a pall over the day for us. Can't do much more than order in a heart shaped pizza and exchange a small box of chocolates.

No bad ones, since an adult it has pretty much just been a regular day.
As a child it was more special, Mom's birthday

DH and I went out for dinner the first Valentine’s Day we were dating, 30 years ago. Pre fix menu, crowded, rushed - that was the last time we went out for dinner on Valentine’s Day. We hit a happy hour at 3 yesterday, were home by 5.

Wow. I expected this thread to be about funny bad dates on Valentine's Day. :sad1: My MIL died of lung cancer on Valentine's Day 12 years ago. Really bad memories of racing the 220 miles between our house and hers only to arrive one hour after she died. Family called us too late. There will always be a pall over the day for us. Can't do much more than order in a heart shaped pizza and exchange a small box of chocolates.
:flower3: That frantic rush to the bedside of a loved one is the worst, and not something you ever forget. My DH and DS were desperately trying to get to us (I was already there) when my Ddad passed away and like you, they were just hours too late. I understand. :hug:

I have no one to celebrate with it was a sad day
But me and my poodle had a dinner and watched old Andy Griffith shows
I keep praying and I know things will get better

One Valentine's Day I made the mistake of believing DW when she said she didn't want to do anything for Valentine's Day. So I didn't make reservations or plans, except to make dinner at home.

The afternoon of Valentine's Day she asked me where we were going for Valentine's Day. When I reminded her what she had told me, she expressed surprise that I believed her. :rolleyes: So I tried to make last-minute reservations, and found a place. We show up 10 minutes before our reservation, and we proceeded to wait for an hour. (The place went out of business a month later.) We left and drove home. I cooked dinner, which I could've done 2 hours before that with a lot less drama. Less than magical.

From that Valentine's Day on, I never, ever, ever, ever didn't make plans for Valentine's Day. No matter what. :D

Nothing as heart wrenching as some folks. Sad to have to memories like that every year 😥 We don’t typically do more than exchange cards, and have a quiet dinner in. DH decided to order flowers this year. They never arrived. Lol!! After a phone call this morning, they arrived at 7:30 this evening, and his credit card was refunded the full amount.

First, let me say I am sorry for those of you have experienced a loss on or around this day. I lost my mom just before Valentine's Day when I was 24.

That being said, I think those of you have someone to spend this day with are very lucky. There are so many who aren't as lucky. Be happy you have someone. A less than perfect dinner or event is nothing compared to the loneliness this so called holiday brings to many.

First, let me say I am sorry for those of you have experienced a loss on or around this day. I lost my mom just before Valentine's Day when I was 24.

That being said, I think those of you have someone to spend this day with are very lucky. There are so many who aren't as lucky. Be happy you have someone. A less than perfect dinner or event is nothing compared to the loneliness this so called holiday brings to many.

If you are feeling lonely and the day is rough for you, you are doing that to yourself. I’m not saying you’re wrong for feeling that way, but there is no need to. It’s a made up holiday and it’s super fake.

There shouldn’t need to be a day to prompt your spouse or significant other to treat you nice. If you do, then I feel sorry for you the other 364 dats of the year (365 this year..leap year.

Ok, next in line for the soapbox can have it now lol

One Valentine's Day I made the mistake of believing DW when she said she didn't want to do anything for Valentine's Day. So I didn't make reservations or plans, except to make dinner at home.

The afternoon of Valentine's Day she asked me where we were going for Valentine's Day. When I reminded her what she had told me, she expressed surprise that I believed her. :rolleyes: So I tried to make last-minute reservations, and found a place. We show up 10 minutes before our reservation, and we proceeded to wait for an hour. (The place went out of business a month later.) We left and drove home. I cooked dinner, which I could've done 2 hours before that with a lot less drama. Less than magical.

From that Valentine's Day on, I never, ever, ever, ever didn't make plans for Valentine's Day. No matter what. :D

WOW. God bless you. I think I can say all women and men of the world unite for a moment of sympathy for you. Rule #738 about relationships: ALWAYS say what you mean and mean what you say!! Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter