Worst Ending to a Disney Trip EVER! (and other things that happened) - UPDATE 6/22!

Day 1 Part 2 – Swantastic

We finally landed in Orlando and got to take what I consider the first ride of the trip.

The mini-monorail!

giphy.gif

Just love it.

We went down the escalators to baggage claim to pick up our luggage. We rented a car and Mom’s carry-on was sent through.

Our checked bags came fairly quickly but Mom’s carry on took some time. And when she pulled it off the belt, it kind of fell apart. It was one of those one’s that is like a backpack but also has an option to pull out a handle and roll it like luggage. The entire plastic luggage portion was ripped from the backpack portion and broken. Even the handle was in pieces.

giphy.gif

Mom was really upset. It was something that she had bought in Hawaii and we weren’t sure we’d be able to replace it. We immediately went over to the Delta baggage center and I waited outside while Mom and Dad talked to the woman there. She brought out a blue hard-sided carry-on case which Mom took and then switched all her stuff from the destroyed one to the new one.

When they got back they explained that the really nice woman said that it was best to just get a new piece of luggage from them instead of trying to file a claim because it would take longer and she’d still be out a carry-on to use. She was right; we would need the carry-on since we just started our vacation. It still felt bad, though. The kicker of it was that there was plenty of overhead bin space – we could have easily brought it on the plane.

Oh well. We have a Disney vacation to enjoy!

We went to Budget to get our rental car. And we passed by the Magical Express on the way! I love that we get to see the buses even if we aren’t riding in them. And I love that there are palm trees on the way into the parking garage. It feels so tropical and vacation-y!

Since we were RapidRez members, we just went to the kiosk in the garage to get our car slot number. When we found it, we saw that we had a Chevy Cruz. And it was black…maybe. Or dark blue. Or black. It was really hard to tell. Depending on the light, it was either color.

Blue%20Ray%20Metallic-GXH-22,35,48-640-en_US.jpg

What color is this???? (I just realized that I did not get a pic of our car the entire stay. :sad2:)

Well, whatever color it was as long as we could find it at the end of the day, it didn’t matter.
Now, to get my very large luggage bag, Mom's medium luggage bag, and Dad's medium/small luggage bag in the car. Which shouldn't be a problem right?

Wellllll...

My luggage bag is really large. My family jokes about not wanting to be seen with me with my bag. You know those different sized luggage sets - mine is the biggest one from that kind of set. When I first got it, my 5'4" 30-something sister was able to fit in it AND we were able to zip it shut! WITHOUT opening up the extender zipper. So yeah. My bag is big.

tumblr_inline_min66eGjQ71qz4rgp.gif

When it comes to packing, I mean business, yo.

That meant that we had to do some creative tetris-ing to get everything to fit in the trunk. At one point, my dad got frustrated and actually turned to go back to the kiosk to ask for a bigger car! My mom and I were shocked. And thought it hysterical. We're going to go and get a WHOLE new car and probably pay a lot extra just to fit our luggage for the short drive to the Swan?? When we haven't even explored the options for putting bags in the back seat?

We finally convinced my dad that we could get it all in - we just had to put one of the back seats down. We were even able to fit some of our carry-ons in the back too!

Everything finally settled, we were on our way!

To Publix!

giphy.gif

Sorry! We'll get there soon!

We stopped to get some snacks since we just weren't sure what would be available for my mom and I to eat. Plus, we just like snacks. My dad also wanted some beer to enjoy. There were some good IPA choices so he was happy. It was also here that we got some utensils. Which, apparently, was a big deal. To my dad. He made sure that we got a little bit larger one that we needed so that he could give me some to pack away in my luggage so I would have it when I needed it next.

Obviously, my dad had no idea about my packing woes...well, he did but he must not have really gotten it if he was thinking that putting more things in my bag to begin with was a good idea! I practically had a coronary in the picnic aisle. Do you REALIZE what I've BEEN through?? I tried to nicely, gently decline but Dad was having none of it. We were getting the bigger box and I was putting extras in my luggage and that was that!

tumblr_me0hotcqJ51rll869o1_400.gif

Hahahaha. My mom made a face at me and I rolled my eyes which my dad kind of caught so I blinked rapidly and pretended that a large waft of something got into my eyes. I may have over done it. My dad definitely thought something was up but he was ready to get out of there so he didn't call me on it. My dad may be a big grumpy and a bit gruff at times but, like lots of men, he's a softie on the inside and his feelings can actually get hurt pretty easily if we're not careful.

Finally, finally, we were on our way to Disney World and the Swan!

(And I am a terrible Diser but I didn't get a pic of the sign! I got video but I forgot to load it on to the computer...so maybe later....but for now, here is some random person's pic from Google Images. (Thank you, random person.) Enjoy.)

Screen-Shot-2016-03-14-at-8.19.23-AM.png

We didn't exactly know where to park to check-in when we got to the Swan. There really is no check-in parking - you either go up to the front door and valet or you go through the gate, taking a ticket (that you hand over to the front desk person) and park there. But that's kind of a ways away. You can unload in the front and Bell Services will help you. You just have to tip. We didn't know what the situation would be so we parked past the front door in front of what I later learned was the convention center.

Inside the Swan lobby was utter pandemonium. It was definitely check-in time and packed with people waiting and sitting everywhere. This was going to take a long time.

Or was it...

Dad and Mom are Starwood members which is why we were staying at the Swan - we used points. And Starwood members have their own line! Which had one other person in it. So we waited just a little while and were soon next. Our room wasn't ready yet - she checked with what we had reserved and originally we had reserved through Starwood members and got a balcony with a lake view. She said that there wasn't any category type like that but she would see what was available. And that took a long time. She said that there was a room ready now but wasn't the best. However, if we wanted to wait a better one would open up soon - she just didn't know when. We decided to wait and left our cell number.

We went back to Mom who was sitting in the car, roasting. I don't know why she didn't come in. She was quite bummed to learn that our room wasn't ready since she was more dressed for MN than for FL. (Why she didn't dress in layers, I don't know. She crazy. And oh lord, was it HOOOOOOT. HOOOOOOOT.) We left our bags with Bell Services and decided to explore the Swan!

The Swan has a central lobby that you walk through to a small rotunda with a Swan fountain. From there, in spokes, are the walkways to the two different elevator banks, the convention center, the restaurants, and the back doors leading to the walkway that connects the Swan with the Dolphin. In the rotunda, we saw that there was a ballroom dance competition going on that week. Which would probably explain the complete chaos in the lobby. Throughout the week, we saw a lot of people dressed REALLY fancy with LOADS of makeup.

upload_2016-9-30_18-17-42.png

upload_2016-9-30_18-18-3.png

We decided to check out the Dolphin, eat there, and on the way back, check out the pool area, which looked really cool.

upload_2016-9-30_18-18-24.png
(Isn't that cool? It was totally by accident. I had no idea she was standing there! Zoomed in, you can see her parents in the blue and orange holding out their hands to her.)

upload_2016-9-30_18-19-12.png

If you look closely, you'll see CHILDREN IN THE WATER!!! They look next to the water but they were actually in it.

giphy.gif

My mom and I stood there in horrified shock. I mean, they were probably okay but would you want to risk it??? In other locations around WDW, they've put up rocks and rope fences but not at the Swan and Dolphin. And of course, there is a lovely inviting sandy beach. I don't know why they didn't decide to do anything. The children eventually left the water and we continued on our way. After that fright, we were hungry!

We didn't really know where to go and we wandered a bit before we found that Picabu was still open. It's kind of their food court. We walked in and asked someone what was gluten free and dairy free. Another employee down the way shouted 'BURRITO BOWLS!" He was really enthusiastic. He started really selling it. And no one offered up any other choices so burrito bowls it was. I think we made his day.

And the best part - COKE FREESTYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Coke Freestyle. My favorite is Coke with orange. Mmmmmmm. This is the only way I can get it unless a place imports Mezzo Mix from Germany.

8y1QJ.gif

Coooookkke Freeeeestyyyyle.....uhhhhhhn

The bummer is that we only bought one drink to share (before I discovered it was Freestyle) and my parents refuse to drink my orange coke! So we got root beer. Which I like but seriously? We get to mix all sorts of flavors together and you choose root beer?? The same one you can get anywhere???

Ugh.

Plebeians.

rolling-eyes-gif-401.gif

My day ruined, we sat down to eat. My dad and I got steak burrito bowls and my mom decided to just get chips and guacamole. She doesn't really like to eat much. She has terrible acid reflux so smaller meals are better for her.

CONTINUED ON NEXT POST

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-30_18-32-5.png
    upload_2016-9-30_18-32-5.png
    410.7 KB · Views: 26
I would show you the pic of my meal but for some reason, the DISBoards keep saying the file is too large even though I keep sizing it down. It was a big burrito bowl...

But here are my parents!

upload_2016-9-30_18-37-33.png
Noshin' on chips and guac

upload_2016-9-30_18-37-52.png
You can kind of see the burrito bowl

upload_2016-9-30_18-36-24.png

We sat so that we could see across the water to the Swan. It was so beautiful - the water, the green grass, the palm trees. We just relaxed and enjoyed our meal and the view. The bowls were pretty good. Pretty standard. The steak was marinated well and I really liked it - at first. Towards the end, though, it was a bit much and I was sick of the flavor.

But a good (and badly needed) meal overall. We didn't know where to put our garbage and dishes so we just left them. I hope that was the right thing to do!

We left the air conditioning and into the heat. We walked over to the pool area that is between the two hotels. It is really nice. I really liked the pool areas. Very tropical.

upload_2016-9-30_18-38-27.png

upload_2016-9-30_18-38-37.png

It was Sandtastic Sandcastle Weekend so there were crazy sandcastle builders making sand sculptures in the hot hot sand. I braved it myself to get some pictures but there were not many people on the beach. Everyone was at the pool.

upload_2016-9-30_18-38-56.png

upload_2016-9-30_18-39-5.png

upload_2016-9-30_18-39-22.png

upload_2016-9-30_18-39-34.png

They made an announcement that they were doing a sandcastle demonstration and they needed suggestions on what to sculpt. Some kids wandered over and a few adults. They people standing around weren't giving any suggestions so I said, what about Wall-E?

And the guy about to do the demonstration said, "Isn't that just a TV with a head?"

DeepBreathTony.gif

Now, I know that he probably just meant that it was not a good demonstration choice but GRRRRR. Sir! I think that you are.....just a stick with a head!

CONTINUED ON NEXT POST

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-30_18-37-21.png
    upload_2016-9-30_18-37-21.png
    497.6 KB · Views: 5
He certainly didn't win me over to watch his demonstration so I decided to get on my way. Which was across the street to the Fantasia mini-golf course. It was $14 per round but we didn't play then. We decided to play later in the week. (Spoiler: we didn't.)

upload_2016-9-30_18-44-6.png
Look how close we are to the Tower of Terror! Awesome!!! We would see the back of the Tower every time we left the Swan!

upload_2016-9-30_18-45-24.png

upload_2016-9-30_18-45-38.png

We decided to go back inside and check at the front desk to see if our room was ready since we it had actually been awhile. We had lingered for some time at Picabu.

Just as we were entering back in to the Swan, Dad got a text to come to the front desk to get our keys. So we did that and went up to our room on the third floor!

Up next, we finish up Day 1

Day 1 Part 3 - "Hey! There's a violin out here!"

Last edited:

(And I am a terrible Diser but I didn't get a pic of the sign! I got video but I forgot to load it on to the computer...so maybe later....but for now, here is some random person's pic from Google Images. (Thank you, random person.) Enjoy.)

I didn't get one either :rotfl: We took an Uber there and I was in the backseat. I didn't think the guy would appreciate me trying to lean into the front seat to take a picture.

Following along. Great report so far. Love your sense of humor.
From the title, hope everything is ok .

Last edited:
The mini-monorail!
I was so excited for this on our last trip, DH's first trip ever, and he did not understand my excitement.

Our checked bags came fairly quickly but Mom’s carry on took some time. And when she pulled it off the belt, it kind of fell apart. It was one of those one’s that is like a backpack but also has an option to pull out a handle and roll it like luggage. The entire plastic luggage portion was ripped from the backpack portion and broken. Even the handle was in pieces.
Oh no! Hopefully all of her stuff inside was safe. I had the same thing happen, but it was a bag I bought in Vegas and stuff fell out onto the belt :mad:

My luggage bag is really large. My family jokes about not wanting to be seen with me with my bag. You know those different sized luggage sets - mine is the biggest one from that kind of set. When I first got it, my 5'4" 30-something sister was able to fit in it AND we were able to zip it shut! WITHOUT opening up the extender zipper. So yeah. My bag is big.
Ditto. I'm an chronic overpacker. :confused3

If you look closely, you'll see CHILDREN IN THE WATER!!! They look next to the water but they were actually in it.
:rotfl2: That GIF is perfect.

I didn't get one either :rotfl: We took an Uber there and I was in the backseat. I didn't think the guy would appreciate me trying to lean into the front seat to take a picture.

Haha. At least you have an excuse! I was in the passenger seat of our car!

Following along. Great report so far. Love your sense of humor.
From the title, hope everything is ok .

Welcome! :welcome: and Thank you!

I was so excited for this on our last trip, DH's first trip ever, and he did not understand my excitement.
Oh no! Hopefully all of her stuff inside was safe. I had the same thing happen, but it was a bag I bought in Vegas and stuff fell out onto the belt :mad:

Everything inside was fine, thank goodness. That is awful that you had to grab everything off the belt! I had that almost happen to me in France. I was on a band school trip and my rolling duffle zipper broke but luckily, I had my big music folder on top and it kept everything in!

You'd think that they go through a meat grinder before getting to you. What goes on in there??

Great update! :flower1:

On another note, I have terrible acid reflux as well and have been on a prescription antacid for years. One per night works like a charm. When I forget to take it, I pay dearly! :crazy2:

All caught up! Gosh, I already don't like flying and all your packing talk and political talk make me happy we choose to drive! lol

I've been to the Swan one time. We went to eat at Il Mulino. It was one of the best meals we've ever had at Disney.

Sandtastic looks really cool. Such a shame that the demo guy was such a lame-o and doesn't appreciate Wall-e! I love Wall-e. Can't wait to hear more. :)

Haha. Of course! I should have known. Maybe they thought there would be bananas in my mom's Hawaiian luggage.

Great update! :flower1:

On another note, I have terrible acid reflux as well and have been on a prescription antacid for years. One per night works like a charm. When I forget to take it, I pay dearly! :crazy2:

Thank you! My mom is on a natural kick right now so she's been trying to do it with natural supplements and also trying to find the root cause and take care of it there. I did know that she took some antacids for awhile but they didn't work too well. But that might have just been OTC. When something is really aggressive, the natural methods don't seem to work as well.

Following!! Great trip so far! Can't wait to read the rest!!!

Welcome :flower3: and thank you!

All caught up! Gosh, I already don't like flying and all your packing talk and political talk make me happy we choose to drive! lol

I've been to the Swan one time. We went to eat at Il Mulino. It was one of the best meals we've ever had at Disney.

Sandtastic looks really cool. Such a shame that the demo guy was such a lame-o and doesn't appreciate Wall-e! I love Wall-e. Can't wait to hear more. :)

Driving would be worse for me! It's a 24 hour drive and I get car sick and waaay too antsy. But the packing situation would be a lot better, that's for sure!

Wall-E is awesome!

Following along!

Welcome! :yay:

What color is this????
Definitely dark blue. I had a Honda Accord many moons ago with the same type of paint. It varied depending on the sunlight. Still miss that car.

upload_2016-9-30_18-18-24-png.198081

(Isn't that cool? It was totally by accident. I had no idea she was standing there! Zoomed in, you can see her parents in the blue and orange holding out their hands to her.)
Oh, that is the sweetest picture!

upload_2016-9-30_18-19-12-png.198082

giphy.gif

My mom and I stood there in horrified shock. I mean, they were probably okay but would you want to risk it???
:scared1: Holy mother of pearl! WHY?!?!?!

Joining in! All caught up. Can't wait to hear more about your adventure.

Yes, those are Archie comics. No judging!

HAHA, sorry I had to quote this. I have a collection and some of them are in the guest bathroom for guesting reading/viewing pleasure. I get made fun of all the time when a "new one" appears....glad to know I'm not the only adult who still buys them!

HAHA, sorry I had to quote this. I have a collection and some of them are in the guest bathroom for guesting reading/viewing pleasure. I get made fun of all the time when a "new one" appears....glad to know I'm not the only adult who still buys them!

Welcome! Haha. Now there are two of us! The ONLY ones in the entire world. I'm SURE! ;)

Day 1 Part 3 – “Hey! There’s a violin out here!”

Okay, our room was finally ready. I was excited to see what a room at the Swan looked like and to see if we could see Epcot from our balcony!

upload_2016-10-4_17-24-13.png

The beds were really comfy.

upload_2016-10-4_17-25-16.png

Sink outside the bathroom. This was really handy!

upload_2016-10-4_17-25-58.png

There was a fridge but no microwave. Which would have been nice to heat our leftovers. Coffee maker. Drawers in the TV stand.

My bed, the one on the right, was SUPER close to the wall. I could fit next to it but a larger person would not be able to squeeze through. You would have to climb over the other person in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

Classy.

upload_2016-10-4_17-28-58.png

As you can see, our view was of trees. And a courtyard. Which was a little disappointing. Not that it was a bad view, exactly; it just didn’t have the view of the lake and potentially Epcot that I was kind of hoping for and that the front desk person kind of indicated when she talked about a room with a better view. I wonder what our original view was like.

I went out to the balcony to really see and I could hear a harp! Mom and Dad came out too and we could see a bride and her bridal party taking pictures! There was going to be a wedding in the courtyard today!

upload_2016-10-4_17-45-20.png

The harp music was (excuse the pun) heavenly. It was all Disney songs. Just floating about. I couldn’t see her so it seemed like the music was coming from nowhere and everywhere. And this was just for the pictures! If I was having a Disney wedding, I would definitely want that harpist playing Disney songs – it was perfect!

c9cb01217856634c09072b571d14ac97.jpg

The bridesmaid’s dresses were purple and the flower girls were light purple with large dark purple embroidered flowers along the hem. The bride was in a fitted lace trumpet dress with a diamond back cutout. It looked gorgeous. But HOT. The flower girls were doing a lot of lounging on the steps up to the raised portion of the courtyard. I shudder to think about the state of their dresses by the end of the shoot but, girls, I hear ya – it is HO-O-OT!

Soon the wedding party pics were over and the harpist left. Boo. So I got down to business and started unpacking. I have to unpack and have everything readily available otherwise I am cranky in the mornings…well, I’m always cranky in the mornings…so even crankier, then.

635700045585640418687725550_im-not-cranky.gif

I only unpacked what I thought I would need for the week at the Swan and left everything else in my suitcase. Unfortunately, I still had a lot of stuff and not a lot of places to put things, especially with three of us in the room. I ended up taking over the outside bathroom sink. I’m so glad it was there. And I got one drawer. My mom took two. And my dad took the other one.

giphy.gif

Halfway through unpacking, I saw that my mom was out on the balcony. I rushed past my dad who asked where I was going.

“I’m going to attend a wedding!”

Really, where did he think I was going? There are only so many places in this room! Silly.

I got out onto the balcony, this time I was greeted by beautiful violin music. It wasn’t Disney, it was more traditional wedding music. Mom and I were being very quiet as to not disturb the wedding guests who were arriving from the left. A lot of them were Asian. The bride must be marrying an Asian man. Unfortunately, we couldn’t see much of the wedding set-up since the tree blocked our view of the other side of the courtyard.

I could see other people on the balconies also watching the wedding. It was kind of fun – like we got box seats at the theater. Then, the people below us must have just gotten to their room. I hear the balcony door slam and a very loud shout: “HEY! HEY! THERE’S A VIOLIN OUT HERE! <pause> A VIOLIN! GET OUT HERE!”

Ugh.

People! I tell ya!

giphy.gif

Then, what sounded like an entire football team crowded out onto their balcony and started talking LOUDLY about the wedding taking place.

I was starting to get really mad. They were being incredibly disrespectful of the people trying to have a beautiful wedding below. Just because you’re on a balcony at a hotel does not mean that we can’t see and hear you!

Luckily, they got bored and went back in to the room, slamming the door shut behind them. (Don't worry, they'll be back....)

During the commotion, everyone had arrived and the music changed then stopped. We saw a woman in black (wedding planner?) run down the path and around the corner of the hotel. Then she ran back, went somewhere, and ran back around the corner again.

CONTINUED ON NEXT POST

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-4_17-24-54.png
    upload_2016-10-4_17-24-54.png
    357.8 KB · Views: 23
  • upload_2016-10-4_17-44-45.png
    upload_2016-10-4_17-44-45.png
    667.3 KB · Views: 26
The music started up again and the bride came around the corner. She changed dresses! She had a short lace dress on now. It looked a lot cooler.

upload_2016-10-4_17-58-2.png

And…she also changed ethnicities!

It slowly dawned on Mom and I that we were seeing a completely different wedding than the people who had been taking pictures earlier. That explains the lack of wedding attendants and flower girls. I thought I had somehow missed them but they weren’t even there!

upload_2016-10-4_17-49-4.png

We couldn’t really hear what was being said or see the ceremony itself unless we got on our hands and knees (see above). It was fairly short and then they were walking back down the aisle. Everyone was clapping – even all of us on the balcony!

They turned around and had a receiving line and everyone got a glass of champagne. The violin was playing all sorts of love songs from Disney movies, Titanic, Phantom of the Opera, etc. It was so great. She played the entire time after the wedding.

The wedding was about 50 guests or so. I tried to count them but lost track since they were milling around so much. They had a champagne toast and then every family group took pictures with the bride and groom. Like they were Disney characters! It was so cool and something that you really can only do with a smaller party. The photographer looked like she really knew her stuff – all the groups looked great and even sided, etc.

The father of the bride shook hands with the groom and hugged him and said really loudly – we could even hear: “My son! My new son!” And it looked like he got really teary. It was so sweet.

After the pictures and one more round of champagne, the wedding planner announced that they were all going to Shula’s Steakhouse for the reception. The guests all left and the bride and groom had a couple more pictures and one more kiss before they walked out too. Several people from the balcony called out congratulations to them as they passed by.

It was a lovely way to spend the early evening. <sigh>

We finished unpacking and then wanted to do something, so we decided to walk along the Boardwalk.

upload_2016-10-4_17-50-15.png

It was slightly cooler without the sun beating down on you. We went counter clockwise around, so we hit the Boardwalk Inn first. We went in to every shop and went in to the Boardwalk too. I had never been before. It was very turn of the century East Coast to me. With rich woods inside and white trim. There were white wicker rocking chairs on the porch overlooking the Boardwalk from the lobby. I sat in one. It was not comfy at all! And I couldn’t see the Boardwalk at all because the railing was too high and I could only rock a couple of inches either way. What a waste!

The Boardwalk Inn was neat but not really my cup of tea. I did like the lounge – that looked very comfy and homey.

And we saw the infamous clown pool.

Just no.

Whhyyyy???

Unnecessary!

My mom did point out that it creeped her out now but when she was a child, they all loved clowns. They didn’t have the creepy vibe that they do now. She said that ever since she saw part of the movie It, though, she hasn’t been able to handle clowns.

I also have seen It and though they aren’t all terrifying, this particular clown at the pool was super creepy. I did love that the slide looked like a wooden rollercoaster.

We walked past Ample Hills Creamery. <snicker>

giphy.gif

Sorry, sometimes I just have a dirty mind!

I wanted to go in and just check it out. I asked about the gluten free, dairy free selections and they had like three options. So we decided to have some ice cream.

It’s times like these that I really wish that I could have a waffle cone. I LOOOOVE waffle cones!

giphy.gif

Mom got the Lemon Sky “Ice Cream”: Light and Billowy Lemon Ginger Sorbet made with a splash of Limoncello. She liked it. It was very tart. VERY tart. Too tart for me.

Dad got a waffle cone with their dark chocolate ice cream. He REALLY like it. The waffle cone was super thin and broke apart all over the place. The CM at the counter had given him a bowl as well so presumably, this is a frequent problem. So, I guess I wasn’t missing much with the waffle cone. I (used to) prefer them thicker.

upload_2016-10-4_17-50-52.png

I got the Cotton Candy Ice Cream. It was good for a few bites and then it started to taste like a Yankee Candle store smells. There was just something overly perfume-y about it. It did not taste like cotton candy.

upload_2016-10-4_17-51-30.png

Oh well, I was glad I tried it.

We continued on to Epcot. We went right up to the bag check, and looked a little bit. A lot of people were leaving, looking really tired. It was kind of weird – I knew we were at Disney but it felt like we were on the outside looking in. Which we were. Literally. But it felt more than that – it felt like I was on the outside looking in to vacation. Even though I was on vacation.

14199697_10210931209455431_904327499181272034_n.jpg

It’s here that I should probably mention something – we had a family member who was going through a rough patch. Unfortunately, it is something that happens somewhat often and nothing really can be done except for that person to just move through it. It still is hard to know that someone we love is hurting and there is nothing we can do, really.

So I know that was weighing on all of our minds. I was trying hard but it was really difficult to be present. And seeing Epcot somehow made me feel worse.

Thankfully, we soon left and wandered through the Yacht and Beach Club. My parents hadn’t really seen Storm-along Bay so we got as close as we could. We all agreed that this should go on our list as a future resort possibility.

It was dark by now and we enjoyed the lights around the Boardwalk as we walked back to the Swan. It lifted my spirits a bit. I also noticed that there were no mosquitoes – at dusk and near water and trees!

When we got back into our room, we heard booms and went out on the balcony but we couldn’t see IllumiNations. Bummer.

Well, to bed with us because Mom and I had an early morning tomorrow!

Day 2 Part 1 – Give Kids the World Village

Last edited:
My bed, the one on the right, was SUPER close to the wall. I could fit next to it but a larger person would not be able to squeeze through. You would have to climb over the other person in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

I had this problem too! (I know there were only 2 of us so we could've picked from either bed but in each place we ended up in the one closest to the wall). And I'm the one that gets up to use the bathroom like a million times a night. So I was squeezing through the little crack between the bed and the wall each time I got up. I don't remember having to do that last year so maybe Pop Century had more space between the bed and the wall, but not at the ones we stayed at this year.

fT61kOk.jpg

I tried to find a gif to go here with someone squeezing into a small space and I found this instead lol :rotfl:

I wonder what our original view was like.

The parking lot :rotfl2:

Luckily, they got bored and went back in to the room, slamming the door shut behind them. (Don't worry, they'll be back....)

They sound like my neighbors!

And…she also changed ethnicities!

It slowly dawned on Mom and I that we were seeing a completely different wedding than the people who had been taking pictures earlier.

:rotfl: I was so confused for a second but that makes sense! :thumbsup2

We went in to every shop and went in to the Boardwalk too. I had never been before. It was very turn of the century East Coast to me.

I still haven't been there!

My mom did point out that it creeped her out now but when she was a child, they all loved clowns.

I loooved clowns as a kid. I actually had magic clowns at my birthday when I was a kid, and my dad learned how to do balloon animals because I guess they didn't want to hire clowns for every party. He was actually really good at it though. But the Boardwalk pool still creeps me out.

We walked past Ample Hills Creamery. <snicker>

giphy.gif

:laughing:

It was kind of weird – I knew we were at Disney but it felt like we were on the outside looking in. Which we were. Literally. But it felt more than that – it felt like I was on the outside looking in to vacation.

I feel like I get what you mean. After planning for so long it can be tough when things are less than perfect while you're there. Like you feel like you should be enjoying everything but you're not...but you should be...but you can't 100%.

It lifted my spirits a bit. I also noticed that there were no mosquitoes – at dusk and near water and trees!

I've never been bit at Disney (or Universal) and I'm a mosquito magnet at home. If their anywhere nearby they will find me and bite me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter