Worried someone will get sick right before cruise!

I drove my husband nuts last with the worry. We drank juices, stayed away from germy areas such as hospitals, doctors offices, etc... Every time he cleared his thought I got worried he was getting sick. Best thing is if you start to get sick take medicine right way. Catch it before it gets full blown.

We usually buy trip insurance, but I think this time we will skip it. We bought this cruise last minute, 14 days out.
My daughter already has a broken arm (hopefully the cast will come off before the cruise), and my daughter and I both caught a terrible virus we brought home from the Dream last time (a month and a half ago). So, I am hoping we are now immune to the "boat plague" as I referred to it as, and we are covered in the broken bones department! I sure hope nothing else pops up. Knowing myself, I will probably chicken out and buy the insurance anyway! LOL
Good luck, I wish you a healthy cruise, before and after! Have fun!

Yes! Me! I worried like crazy that someone would get ill. I bought the extra insurance and made everyone start popping extra vitamin C and airborne a couple days before the cruise! It works!! I also packed a medicine case with everything we could ever need.... If all else fails there is always the ship Dr. I'm happy to report that we didn't need anything in that medicine case and we had a sick free cruise! Try not to worry too much. If it happens it happens.

Yes. I would worry even if I had trip insurance because just because I can cancel a trip and not lose excessive amounts of money on it, I may not be able to get time off of work to actually go on a vacation for months afterwards.

We have trip insurance and I made sure it covers cancellation due to illness. Then, I "quarantine" the kids a few days to a week before the cruise. Not possible with school, I know, but mine are not in school yet. We skip playdates, etc. and just stay home.

You are not alone. I always get super paranoid someone will get sick before our vacations. Especially cruise vacations. The week before vacations I quarantine me and the kids (DH has to work). We homeschool so we can stay home and not be around others. We also take extra vitamins and I do get trip insurance.

Does anyone else get irrationally worried that someone in the family will get sick right before their cruise? Our cruise is a month away, and my anxiety has already set in (fueled by the fact that the flu is going around right now).

I have a 6 year old who seems to catch EVERYTHING from school. The past 2-3 years we have been hit very hard with super hevay colds or flus. This is one of the reasons I bought Disney insurance versus a cheaper one. At least with Disney, if we get sick and the insurance won't cover it, Disney will give a 100% credit.

So I worry that we will miss the cruise. We booked the only double dip next year. But it's in October during cold/flu/hurricane season. I am keeping an open mind and hoping for the best. Worse case scenario, we'll have to go another time.

I'm always worried that I'm the one that will get sick before leaving on a big vacation.

DW and DS somehow seem to avoid the current bug/s going around but; I'M THE ONE TO CATCH IT. So far we've all been lucky in that we have always got through our vacations virus free. I think I am much more conscious before leaving on a vacation to wash hands more thoroughly and take all the other precautions to avoid getting sick.

I am the same way, something always happens on right before or on vacation. Our DD14 seems to always catch the vomitting virus on vacation, no matter where we are, on the cruise, DC or WDW. DS9 always gets diarrhea or colds. They will be fine, then get hit in the middle of the trip, so I carry the medicine cabinet with me with everything that you could imagine for any possible scenario. We are leaving on Jan 11, so I am taking extra precautions at Christmas, my nephew is a walking virus and the ILs are less than forthcoming in tellling us. Last Christmas, we came into the house and after being at MIL's for 2 hours, they informed us that he had been to urgent care in the am because he was running a fever of 104 and had been diagnosed with strep throat. This info was presented after he proceed to cough all over the dinner table and DS's present, then she thought that we may want to have DS wash his hands, what??? And yes, this was year 3 of the virus spreading holiday. So, yes, this year I am a little paranoid before our cruise.

castawaycayfans said:
I am the same way, something always happens on right before or on vacation. Our DD14 seems to always catch the vomitting virus on vacation, no matter where we are, on the cruise, DC or WDW. DS9 always gets diarrhea or colds. They will be fine, then get hit in the middle of the trip, so I carry the medicine cabinet with me with everything that you could imagine for any possible scenario. We are leaving on Jan 11, so I am taking extra precautions at Christmas, my nephew is a walking virus and the ILs are less than forthcoming in tellling us. Last Christmas, we came into the house and after being at MIL's for 2 hours, they informed us that he had been to urgent care in the am because he was running a fever of 104 and had been diagnosed with strep throat. This info was presented after he proceed to cough all over the dinner table and DS's present, then she thought that we may want to have DS wash his hands, what??? And yes, this was year 3 of the virus spreading holiday. So, yes, this year I am a little paranoid before our cruise.

I have a SIL just like this! She drags her sick kids to every family gathering no matter what! Ugh!!!

Oh gosh, now you have me paranoid - we leave next Saturday & my daughter has a physical scheduled for Tuesday. I think I should reschedule! The last place I want to bring her is a dr's office full of germs.

IME, it's actually Vitamin D that will help you ward off sickness, especially in the winter when you're naturally deficient. For people who don't like pills, you can get flavorless Vit D drops, just one drop is a dose. Vitamin D council recommends 1,000 IU/day for kids in winter, up to 5,000 for adults. My doc has recommended mega doses to treat a deficiency (50,000 IU a week), and you really need to be in the hundreds of thousands to millions of IUs to overdose. The standard multi Vit dose of 400 IU is the amount needed to keep babies from getting rickets, not the dose you need for optimal health.

FWIW, two years ago we came down with norovirus around Thanksgiving, when DS was a baby, and it was a nightmare. About a year later, he had another bad GI bug, and we were super vigilant about hand washing and neither dH nor I got sick. I think it's possible to avoid it even if you're in the same household as someone who is sick.

Happened to us. Son came home from school sick 2 days before the cruise. He hadn't been that sick in a year or more. Thankfully, we had insurance - so at least we were covered if we had to cancel. He managed to return to 100% before we left.

It was almost like the week before we left for the cruise every sick person seemed to gravitate toward us. It was unbelievable. We went out of our way to avoid being in any situation where we were exposed to sick people. I swear it worked against us. I think the next time that we cruise, I'll take the family to the local mall a week or two before and we'll touch everything we possibly can that is likely covered in germs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter