Worried about my new stroller

Redbudlover

DIS Veteran
Please tell me I don't have to worry about this! I just bought a new lightweight Peg Parego stroller for our upcoming WDW trip with my 19 month old DGD. I love it. It has all the little things I wanted - ease of movement, tray, multiple reclining positions, etc etc. And it is MINT GREEN! :cool1: For obvious reasons... But I just read a thread about some father of two kids trying pick the pocket of another guest.:eek: So now I am all worried about leaving my brand new mint green lightweight wonderful stroller parked with dozens of others and coming back and finding it gone.:headache:

What do you think, people? I am wondering if I should have some kind of ID carved into into it or something. Has anyone put a permanent ID on a stroller? What did you use? Do you think I am worrying needlessly about this? I never worried about it before at WDW...

I would go with the obvious security of it....don't leave anything valuable in it. I too have had the same concerns. I paid a lot of a Maclaren double stroller and would have been very upset to see it stolen and then been extremely upset about not having a stroller for my children to finish the vacation. I have yet to have anyone steal it(knock on wood:rolleyes1 ) but I do have a large(8in circle) with a laminated green Mickey tied to my stroller. I don't know if it is a big deterrent but it makes it very easy to spot in a sea of strollers. If we leave it outside for lets say a meal, we have a bike lock and wrap it through the underneath of the stroller so it can't be collapsed.

I like the idea of a large identifier being tied to it - prevention being better than detection. And you use a bike lock? Do you use it when you go on rides?

I did read a post earlier that another person puts the bike lock through the front and rear tires. This way if someone wants to steal it they have to carry it away and that is going to draw attention to them so they'd be less likely to take it. This is what I plan on doing with my Joovy caboose sit n stand! I was nervous about it too!

I put some kind of non-permanent identifier on it, like a ribbon or something, to minimize someone truly mistaking it for their own. If you want to do a permanent identifier, I've read here on DIS that people will take an address label, or just a piece of paper with name on it, and cover it with clear fingernail polish. They say it takes a lot of work to get it off. If you were concerned someone might take it on purpose, then I would go with a more permanent marking on it. That way, if you see your stroller later in the day, you could at least prove it was yours.

Really, just use common sense. Don't leave valuables out. We usually have 2backpacks, one to hold diapers, sunscreen, sippy cup, etc. and one that holds more valuable things, like camera, camcorder, souviners we didn't want to have sent back to our room, etc. We take the valuables bag on attractions with us, and leave the other with the stroller. We've never, ever had a problem with the bag we leave behind being messed with.

We've never had our stroller taken either. It has been moved, which caused me a bit of nervousness, but we found it soon after. The CM move them around to keep flow going.

Its easy for me to say, but try not to worry! There are gazillions of strollers at WDW, and it doesn't seem like its a huge problem with them being taken. I haven't actively searched for reports of stolen strollers, but I haven't heard of many thefts. I know it happens, but the chances are pretty small.

Hope this helps!

I did read a post earlier that another person puts the bike lock through the front and rear tires. This way if someone wants to steal it they have to carry it away

Intersting idea. I wonder if that's "ok" with the CMs? They move the strollers around a lot, seems like it'd be a big pain for them to have to pick up strollers. Whatever works though, I guess, to make one feel better.

Intersting idea. I wonder if that's "ok" with the CMs? They move the strollers around a lot, seems like it'd be a big pain for them to have to pick up strollers. Whatever works though, I guess, to make one feel better.

I've heard of folks doing that too, and always thought it would just make it harder for the CMs to do their job. I have taken several higher end strollers, from 2 different Quinnys, to a Valco Runabout and our Beloved Mac Techno, and never lost a stroller, or anything in it (I never leave anything very valuable though, just drinks or a cooler, sunscreen, and possibly rain covers or rain ponchos. Of course, since we still use our Techno all the time, I could have just jinxed myself.

Never locked our or worried about it while at WDW (other places like the mall, but not Disney.)

We have a peg pergo double, so it isn't cheap. I see bug a boo ones there all the time. Those are $$, someone would take that 1st. :laughing: Seriously I don't think it is an issue at all, but don't leave cameras and other things like that in them.

I feel a lot better now. I had not considerred worrying about it until I read the post about the pick pocket. A couple of years ago I was there in an ECV and worried about that and it was no trouble....

well you'll see me there with the same Pliko lite in mint :) (we're going at the same time) . last trip down i saw loads of them so yes put an identifier on it like tie some ribbon on the handle so you don't grab the wrong one.

i've never worried about my strollers there and i've taken pegs, all manner of maclarens, a p&t e3 and even my old quinny zapp :).

well you'll see me there with the same Pliko lite in mint :) (we're going at the same time) . last trip down i saw loads of them so yes put an identifier on it like tie some ribbon on the handle so you don't grab the wrong one.

i've never worried about my strollers there and i've taken pegs, all manner of maclarens, a p&t e3 and even my old quinny zapp :).

that is great news. All I could remmeber from my childless trips were rivers of black strollers. :rotfl: I will watch for you! Where are you staying? I will have to find something fun for an identifier....

I'm glad that someone else has these same concerns. I just bought one of those 3 wheeled jeep strollers with the mp3 speakers and a steering toy on it for DS and now I'm worried that it's going to be taken while we're on a ride. I like the idea of the bike lock on the wheels. I might only put it through the back two so that a CM could tilt it upward to move it only a few feet away. A thief, however, would look really funny trying to cart the stroller through the park on it's nose LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard of folks doing that too, and always thought it would just make it harder for the CMs to do their job. I have taken several higher end strollers, from 2 different Quinnys, to a Valco Runabout and our Beloved Mac Techno, and never lost a stroller, or anything in it (I never leave anything very valuable though, just drinks or a cooler, sunscreen, and possibly rain covers or rain ponchos. Of course, since we still use our Techno all the time, I could have just jinxed myself.
If you lock it to something or lock all the wheels together, that would be a problem for the CMs.
I like the idea of the bike lock on the wheels. I might only put it through the back two so that a CM could tilt it upward to move it only a few feet away. A thief, however, would look really funny trying to cart the stroller through the park on it's nose LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
I have seen people do that and it's not a problem for the CMs since they can still move it if you only lock the 2 back or the 2 front wheels together.

I've been with both my Peg and my double Mac and had no issues. For the most part I think people are too busy to look through or steal your stroller while they are at Disney!! I just make sure we don't leave anything valuable (like the camera) in the stroller.

We were very comfortable with our P3 (pink, some folks still ask how old HE is) at WDW. Even saw a Bugaboo or two in stroller parking. Now at Cedar Point while eating inside Famous Dave's far from said stroller we did lock it with a small bicycle-style cable lock.

I brought my Maclaren Quest when we went last week and nobody touched it. It is the Scottie Dog print that's kind of hard to find and I would have been upset if anyone took it.

I tied a big orange bandana on the handle and hung my LGMH off the stroller bag in the back. I also kept a backpack filled with non-valuable things in it and nothing was ever touched.

We have been taking strollers to WDW for the past 17 years- never had one stolen. We never leave anything of value in the basket and always tie a brightly colored ribbon to the handle.

This is our first trip to Disney. I didn't realize the cms move the strollers. I'm glad I read this!! ;)

We've strollered our way through life for a few years now, including 3 trips to Disney and never had a problem. I think that having someone accidently grab your stroller thinking it's theirs is MUCH more likely than actually having it stolen. My approach is to customize the rig just enough that there is no mistaking for someone elses. By the time I get all my extra cup holders and an obnoxious colored tag or ribbon on my Joovy Caboose, it looks like no other. The best part is how easy it is to find when getting off those rides where a CM parks it for you (Killamanjaro Safari). We also make sure the camera and tickets ride with us in a small bag - if someone needs the diapers and goldfish worse than we do they can snitch them from the stroller if they want. :cool2:

Zoomouse--Where'd you get the extra cupholders for your caboose? I have been looking for some to put on mine! :dogdance:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter