Worried about GAC

Jonell

DIS Veteran
Now with all of this talk about the way the GAC has me a little worried. My DH has gotten a card for our past 6 trips. We usually now only have to show the CM at GR our old card and they issue us a new one with few questions asked. If he needs to explain the accomadations that he needs to the CM then that's no problem. So, I was wondering is it only the way certain attractions are handling the card that has changed, or people actual being refused a GAC?

Now with all of this talk about the way the GAC has me a little worried. My DH has gotten a card for our past 6 trips. We usually now only have to show the CM at GR our old card and they issue us a new one with few questions asked. If he needs to explain the accomadations that he needs to the CM then that's no problem. So, I was wondering is it only the way certain attractions are handling the card that has changed, or people actual being refused a GAC?

Both.

People are actually being refused a GAC. And the way they are handled has changed for a lot of attractions.

If there is some sort of new restrictions on GAC then maybe Disney should make the public aware of the changes. I know if for some reason my DH would be denied the card on our trips then we would have to completely change the way we tour WDW and the times of the year that we visit.

The public (aside from us) really don't know about the GAC though. It's not put forth by Disney to the public as an option. I think really what's happening is they're realizing how many people DO know about it and seeing the flaws in how it was handled before. You always needed to explain your needs to the issuing CM, Disney always reserved the rights to deny them, and to change how things were handled with them.

Disney doesn't publish anything official about GACs, what is in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is 100% more than the information officially provided by Disney.

I just re-verified that the information in the post is factual.
All of the people I have read or heard about not getting GACs were either not able to explain their needs or asking for something that is not possible.
There has never been a guarantee of how GACs will be handled at individual attractions and probably will not be. There are variations in people's needs, in how different attractions work and in what is available at that time.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of public misconceptions with the GAC and ECV's. When we were at Disneyland last month we overheard a girl, probably about ten, telling her parents they need to bring grandma to DLR and get her a scooter so the grand-dtr can ride on behind and they can go to the front of all the lines. I didn't say anything, but I could've told the kid that depending on the number of ECV's and wheelchairs in a line we sometimes have to wait longer than the able-bodied.

That same weekend we also ran into some friends at DCA. The wife's younger bro has Down's and can't wait in any lines as he would become agitated and start throwing things. He would definitely require a GAC. The wife saw that we were on ECV's and said something about us having a GAC. Nope. Don't need one. So, even people who have used a GAC for years and years don't realize there are different types of GAC's for different needs, and just because we have ECV's, that obviously doesn't entitle us to skip all the lines, like the friend's younger brother.

I really don't know how Disney could clarify these situations except on a one-by-one basis as they've been doing. Or by people reading about them on the DIS. :thumbsup2

And of course, it doesn't help that the GAC procedures differ greatly between DLR and WDW because of the age of DLR. Wheelchairs and ECVs are handled so differently at Disneyland than at WDW.

Hi,

I'm nervous about GAC. I have few conditions. I have RDS which affects my hand and knee. The heat makes it flare up and the pain and swelling gets bad. I will be renting a scooter, but I have to minimize the time waiting in line in the sun. It will make me ill. Will guest services give me hard time about this? I don't know how familiart they are with RSD, (regional pain syndrome) but its a real problem for me, but like others have said, you wouldn't always know what's wrong just by looking. I've actually had to put off surgery b/c of it as the Dr. fears the RSD may become worse from it.

Should I bring a Dr. note, or skip that. I keep reading they don't want them.

Hi,

I'm nervous about GAC. I have few conditions. I have RDS which affects my hand and knee. The heat makes it flare up and the pain and swelling gets bad. I will be renting a scooter, but I have to minimize the time waiting in line in the sun. It will make me ill. Will guest services give me hard time about this? I don't know how familiart they are with RSD, (regional pain syndrome) but its a real problem for me, but like others have said, you wouldn't always know what's wrong just by looking. I've actually had to put off surgery b/c of it as the Dr. fears the RSD may become worse from it.

Most of the lines are mainstreamed so that you'll be able to stay on your scooter the entire time and most lines are also not in the sun. The majority of sun exposure will be the time spent between lines and you can't get a GAC for that. Please take a look at Sue's sticky thread at the top of this forum for all the info on having an ECV and GAC and what you'll need to do. The best way to lessen any wait times are to use a touring plan and fastpasses.

Hi,

Guest Services does not need to know or understand anything about RSD. They do need to know what your needs are - which you will explain to them. If it makes you feel more comfortable to have a doctor's note, you can bring one, but they will not ask for it or want to see it.

If you have not read post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, I would suggest reading it because it will help to answer the questions you are asking.

GAC for sun exposure are not particularly helpful though because almost all attraction lines are covered to at least some extent, so you won't be in the sun while waiting. Many are even inside a building.
In some cases for VERY busy attractions, the line of people waiting may extend outside the actual divided off waiting line. The area outside of the cordoned off area is not actually the line, so some of your party can wait in that 'line' and you can wait outside in the shade until they reach that actual line area. Then you can join them.

Your biggest issues will be when you are NOT in lines for attractions, but are just moving around from place to place. Using a touring plan and Fastpasses will help you to avoid waiting a long time. Current popular touring plans include touringplans.com and easywdw.com
You can also get sun protective clothing - you can find many different types by doing an Internet search using those words.

Also going to the parks early in the day, leaving mid day and then coming back in the evening will help tremendously with avoiding the sun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter