Worried about food aboard Disney Dream...

Disney is incredibly accommodating when it comes to dining. I am not sure about food preferences but they went above and beyond with my child with a peanut allergy. The head waiter had the chef make him special Sea Bass for Castaway Cay and also a "special surprise chocolate dessert" that made everyone around us drool!
Let them know some of your dietary requests ahead and I am sure they could work something out for you!

It sounds like what you're looking for is atmosphere as opposed to the food itself--if you have a verandah room I would pack a box of cheap electric tea lights and set them in the stateroom and on the verandah one night. Turn out all the other lights, order room service or bring in a tray of stuff you like from the non-MDRs, and just each other's company in the privacy of your own room. Even if you're eating inside the room, leave the door open so you can hear and smell the water. Plenty of romance and no worries about the food!

Just to chime in that I'm a picky eater too- I always say I have the palate of a two year old! Lol

Now I haven't done remy or palo but I think they would be even more accommodating than dining rooms( just my thoughts). Dining room slways had plain chicken breast as item and I would say 25% time I ordered from kids menu and would order double pizza for example and kids get three tiny slices and I got all six. And you can order multiples of dishes.

It will be fine! Have fun!!

I was worried before my first Disney cruise as I have a special diet due to health but did not have a single problem! We did not even need to go to Palos or Remys as the Atmosphere and service in the 3 main dining areas was great. Ask for a table to yourselves. Because I could not eat most of the sauces my server gave me ketchup which I love and can eat ( I have kethup with my kethup lol ) in the shape of mickey! In fact one of the reasons we stuck to the rotary dining was the servers learn your likes/dislikes so in order not to go through this process again it was easy of me to then just stick with it without going through the explanation every night! I loved it!

if there is something you want, just ask--they will try to meet your needs.

While this statement is true, it made me think of a funny story.

My step dad is VERY picky about what he eats. He asked them if they could just bring him a hamburger steak. They brought him prime rib on a bun! :rotfl2:Sometimes they just don't understand what you are asking for!

I was also really worried before I went on the Dream because (almost) none of the descriptions of the food in the main dining room menu appealed to me. I’m picky (okay, a little neurotic) about food—I eat tons of fresh vegetables, fruits, low fat dairy products, whole grains, healthy fats, and fish like salmon, tuna, or sea bass. I never eat meat, shellfish, artificial sweetners, or anything fried, and I try to avoid sugar/ sweetners/processed food/unhealthy fats in general. My husband is picky in a different way—he only likes a few types of vegetables and fruit, the only meat he will eat is chicken or beef, he will eat a few types of fish, and he doesn’t like cheeses or most dairy. We usually cook dinner at home or go to local ethnic restaurants. I know food tastes are very subjective, so just to give you a comparison point, if we happen to be eating at a chain restaurant, we will go somewhere like Bonefish Grill. We will occasionally eat at Outback steakhouse if the kids want to go (I order plain salmon) but I don’t consider that great quality.

I was pleasantly surprised that there were lots of foods that I really enjoyed on the cruise. Most of the restaurants (including the counter service places by the pool) had fresh cut up cantaloupe, watermelon and honeydew. The buffet restaurants had nice salad bars, and assortments of steamed or lightly dressed vegetables. For breakfast we went to Cabanas buffet two times, which has good food but a chaotic atmosphere. I had things like plain yogurt, cut up fruit, whole wheat toast, sliced cheese, and smoked salmon. My husband enjoyed the bagels, waffles and omelets. (If you ask, they will make you an omelet or cooked eggs to order so don’t think you have to take what’s on the buffet). We did not care for the buffet breakfast at Enchanted garden as the selection was more limited, although the setting is much calmer. When we ate lunch on the ship, I really liked the veggie paninis and the veggie burgers at the counter service places by the pool; my husband liked the chicken fingers, hamburgers, and carrot/celery sticks that are available on the hamburger fixings bar. I didn’t try it, but he said the soft serve ice cream had an unpleasant chemical taste. On castaway cay, we ate at the adults-only barbeque by serenity beach. I tried the mahi mahi (a little dry), couscous salad, greek salad, and cut up fruit (including mango, which was not available on the ship). My husband had the steak and the chicken. When we had dinner on the ship, we generally asked them to alter the items on the menu and our waiter couldn’t have been more accommodating! At Animator’s Palette, we ordered plain salads off the children’s menu for appetizers. Then I tried the black bean burgers and found them mushy, so my waiter brought me the cod instead. It was pretty good, but not great. For dessert, my husband had the apple pie off the kids menu, which he said was just ok. The second night, at Enchanted gardens, I had an absolutely wonderful Sea bass. I had a vegetable wrap for an appetizer, which was a little bland. My husband had plain salmon with baked potato and steamed vegetables. He said it was fine but the salmon was a little dry. For pirate night, I didn’t like my appetizer of honeydew soup, and so I got the stuffed vegetarian crepes (they list them as “savory pancakes”) which were pretty good. I enjoyed the mahi mahi main course. On the last night, we ate at Palo, which I definitely recommend. It’s an amazing value for only $20 extra—equivalent to a $100+ meal in a regular restaurant. They bring you fresh baked bread and breadsticks which are yummy. Then they offer an antipasti cart, and we skipped the meat items and tried the vegetarian things which were tasty. For appetizers, everything was too heavy or rich so they brought us plain salads that they had to get from downstairs in the regular restaurants. For the main course, we had unbelievably good branzino fish with vegetable sides. And for dessert—they have a heavenly chocolate soufflé (which was my one dessert for the cruise) and it was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. For my husband, who didn’t want any of the desserts on the menu, they brought homemade walnut gelato with caramel sauce.

Similarly, the black truffle purseittes in Animator's Palate are great. I HATE mushrooms, but I just avoided the bits of truffles (it's really just a psychological thing for me) and enjoyed the pasta.

I hate any kind of mushroom or fungus but I had this each time we were in Animator's Palette on the Dream in December on our B2B. Sometimes when it's really done right, you can eat something you think you don't like.

Similarly in Palo's, I ordered the rack of lamb. I really don't like lamb at all but was talked into it. Lovely - mild, tender, delicious. And I had a half-entree of the gorgonzola gnocchi. Scrumptious.

When you don't have to pay a lot extra to order something different, or can return something you find you don't actually like and substitue something else, it's a great time to try something new.

We've been to Victoria and Albert's at WDW several times (and Remy once) and I tried many things I was sure I wouldn't like but found out that it can work when it's done well. As I said, I hate mushrooms but I had a morelle mushroom pasta in V&A's more than 10 years ago that I not only ate all of but still remember fondly.

A cruise is a great time to step out of your normal comfort zone because there's always more food around to fill you up if you find that you don't like what you ordered. You may surprise yourself.

mmouse37-
I went to the Disney Cruise line web site and looked at all the menu's for each resturant. I looked over the Palo one several times. I don't think I saw a chicken parm. That's why I was worried. I couldn't find anything basic. Maybe the menu is not kept up?

I hate to worry about something like the food, but that can make or break a vacation sometimes. I don't eat any sea food, only a couple veg (hate onions, mushrooms, etc) and I hate having to pick food apart. Which I do often.

After reading what a lot of people had to say, I feel better.

The Chicken Parm is part of Palo's brunch menu, so maybe that is why you did not see it.

You can always ask your servers what things are available for you to eat within your taste even if it is not specifically listed on the menu. Do not be afraid to ask, they want you to be at your happiest. The chicken breast is offered every night at all the restaurants too.

I am a little worried about the food situation too, but I know I'll find plenty to eat with the buffets at breakfast and lunch. DD16 is vegetarian and allergic to cinnamon and I'm allergic to fish. I get very nauseated just from the smell of it. I'm actually more worried about not being able to eat because of the smell since there are so many seafood dishes offered!

If I get something from Cabanas, is it ok to take it back to the room if I don't want to eat it in the restaurant? What about the MDRs, will they wrap my food to go if I'm not able to eat it there? I'm having terrible flashbacks to eating lunch at CRT and the lady next to us ordered salmon. I had to sit there breathing through my mouth so I couldn't smell it til my daughter was done eating and then ate my sandwich outside afterward.

Are there plenty of condiments available like honey mustard or bbq sauce if I order a plain chicken breast?

I hope that being on a boat floating around on the ocean won't make it automatically smell fishy everywhere? This is why we're starting with a short cruise to s see how I do. I know I can't get in the water. Did that twice as a kid and didn't know why I got so sick afterward til we realized I was allergic to fish! I might be able to wade a little bit but I can't take a chance of getting any water in my mouth.

We were just on the Magic and I agree with you - I was looking at the menu and was thankful I wasn't going for Dinner because I don't think I would have liked it. We went for brunch on Valentine's Day - I don't know if the Dream has the brunch at Palo, but it was fantastic - it was more like a buffet with appetizer type things, cheese, crawfish, pastries that were out of this world, and an entire dessert table. Then there were other things you could order - like pizzas (not just regular pizzas - like gormet pizzas that were great), different types of eggs, chicken parmesan. It was really fantastic and worth the extra money - but I will say that I don't think I will ever book it for dinner. But then again I don't know if dinner is done similar to the brunch or not.

I don't eat sea food, veal, lamb or any of that either... but I can always find something! I was a really picky eater until I was 28 and we moved to San Francisco. I'm now 41 and over the years I have learned to eat a lot more creative things - sort of have to out here, there really isn't any plain food! I still always have a base of chicken, pork, or meat, but even within those options you can explore. Oh and I hate mushrooms, mayo and beans as well. My point is, even if you are picky you can still try some new things that still fall in your comfort zone. And they will always make you something plain if you ask! :) But a cruise is a great time to try a little something new!

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter