Worried about food aboard Disney Dream...

luckymylissa

Earning My Ears
We are scheduled to be on the Disney Dream May 9-12, 2013. I have been dying to have a romantic dinner/night for two just my boyfriend and I and was looking very forward to that on the ship at Palo. However, I have got to be one of the pickiest eaters. I got to reading the menu and found that there was really NOTHING in that restaurant I would probably eat! I also read the entire menu at Remy and found the same problem. I am completely heart broken. So it got me even more worried and I went over all the other menu's. More of nothing I would eat. Honestly, a lot of the food is just to fancy. (I know that probably sounds odd.) Can anyone ease my mind? I mean, Palo is supposed to be Italian but no simple things like chicken alfredo? And everything else is either Veal, sea food, lamb.....I don't eat any of these. Any help?

I too am very picky about what I eat...I like things really plain. I just told my server on the first night that I was pretty much a steak and french fry girl, and every night I got a nice plain steak with french fries! It wasn't a problem at all. The kids' menu also has a lot plainer food on it that you could also order (in the main dining rooms at least). There was a plain chicken breast available, too, each night. I didn't eat at Remy or Palo, but I'm guessing they'd be able to accommodate the same types of request. I'm sure many will tell you to use the cruise as the opportunity to try new, exciting foods...but as a fellow picky eater, I know that's not what you're going to want to hear or do! ;)

Just keep in kind that half the time the names are fancier than the food. There is no dearth of more plain, straightforward food options both on and off the menu. A) you won't go hungry B) it's a great time to try something outside of your box without worry of paying more. You can order more then one entree as well. Although I'm positive that even picky eaters would love the food at remy, it seems like the stress of the cost and worrying if one would like it do not make it worth the bother, IMHO.

You will have a great cruise and plenty of things you like to eat

If you want, ask if they will provide a plain grilled chicken breast.

kristinfly2 said:
The gnocchi in palo on the magic was super plain. Just with a cream sauce. :)

I second the gnocchi. It sounds fancy, but if you get it without the asparagus (although you might try them--they are delish!), it's basically pasta with an Alfredo-like sauce. Gnocchi is potato pasta, but it tastes pretty similar to wheat pasta. I would absolutely try it. You might be surprised.

Similarly, the black truffle purseittes in Animator's Palate are great. I HATE mushrooms, but I just avoided the bits of truffles (it's really just a psychological thing for me) and enjoyed the pasta.

And finally, the best meal I had on my last cruise (didn't do Palo that time), was a steak, asparagus, and a loaded baked potato at Cabanas on Pirate Night. Cabanas is only on the Dream and Fantasy, though.

Your servers will make sure you are happy. Just be honest, as the PP said. Ask for what you like. They shouldn't try to push anything on you, but they may give an opinion the first time. As in, that's a very plain dish, I recommend .... But if you really want it plain, they'll make it happen. Don't be worried--you can always ask for chicken strips (my guilty pleasure!) or a burger if you don't like the dish you ordered. You don't have to go hungry. Have a great cruise!

We are scheduled to be on the Disney Dream May 9-12, 2013. I have been dying to have a romantic dinner/night for two just my boyfriend and I and was looking very forward to that on the ship at Palo. However, I have got to be one of the pickiest eaters. I got to reading the menu and found that there was really NOTHING in that restaurant I would probably eat! I also read the entire menu at Remy and found the same problem. I am completely heart broken. So it got me even more worried and I went over all the other menu's. More of nothing I would eat. Honestly, a lot of the food is just to fancy. (I know that probably sounds odd.) Can anyone ease my mind? I mean, Palo is supposed to be Italian but no simple things like chicken alfredo? And everything else is either Veal, sea food, lamb.....I don't eat any of these. Any help?

You can get chicken nuggets and mac & cheese. You probably like those, don't you?

Be a little adventurous, after all this is a special treat! Let them spoil you. Order 2 or 3 different dishes and try them all. (You'll never see your table mates again anyway). If you don't like it, go upstairs to the pool deck and have a slice of pizza or a burger. Romance is what you make of it, :)

We love Palo & Remy & I'm somewhat of a picky eater (e.g. will not eat fish, except tuna from a can, pretty bad I know) I found Palo & Remy to be wonderful regardless of the price. However if the OP has reviewed the various menus & can not :sad2: find anything to her liking, my advise is to forget the up charge restaurants & stick with the MDRs & get a plain steak & a potato as PPs have suggested. ::yes::

The chicken parm at Palo is pretty basic....but it is served over a bed a creamy risotto...yummy!!!

Your servers will strive to make the meal enjoyable for you.

MJ

mmouse37-
I went to the Disney Cruise line web site and looked at all the menu's for each resturant. I looked over the Palo one several times. I don't think I saw a chicken parm. That's why I was worried. I couldn't find anything basic. Maybe the menu is not kept up?

I hate to worry about something like the food, but that can make or break a vacation sometimes. I don't eat any sea food, only a couple veg (hate onions, mushrooms, etc) and I hate having to pick food apart. Which I do often.

After reading what a lot of people had to say, I feel better.

My DH is a picky eatter. He gets steak and fries every meal he even ordered cheese sticks from the kids menu for an app. We have done Palo and he orders steak there too. Hope this helps.

I know exactly what you mean. I am a very picky person. I don't eat any vegetables or fruit. Only like plain meat and potatoes. I have been on 22 Disney cruises and always find something to eat. I usually order the beef without any sauce or sauce on the side. I also sometimes order a baked potato with my meal if I don't like the sides they are serving. I have eaten just the plain chicken breast with a baked potato if there is nothing else on the menu I like. Your servers will try and help as much as they can.

We have been to Palo for dinner and brunch but we prefer the brunch. Loved the chicken parmesean , but I get that without the sauce (not a fan of sauce). They have no problem just bringing the chicken parm without it.

I usually eat most of the beef dishes, not a huge fan of seafood although the sea bass is really good. The lemon/thyme chicken at Animators is my favorite meal.

I think that you will find as a previous poster said, the menu seems alot fancier than the actual dish. Your servers want you to be happy and will try and accommodate what they can. Alot of substitutions can be difficult for the servers because they are helping so many guests, but small changes are not usually a problem. Like for instance, if I order a baked potato, they will still bring the dish on the menu with the sides listed on the menu. I will just get an extra baked potato on its own dish. That way, they can run into the kitchen and take an already plated food and just grab the potato.

My husband doesn't mind that I am picky, he gets all the leftovers on my plate which makes him happy.

The one positive thing about being picky is that I never gain any weight on the cruise. Taking the stairs everywhere doesn't hurt either.

I think you will find plenty of options and be sure to talk to your server for some suggestions.

The staff will work with you in the MDRs or in Palo or Remy to make sure you get food that you're happy with and will enjoy.

This trip report shows some great pictures of the menu and food at Remy:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2944581&page=17

The Remy menu can sound a lot fancier that it really is. For example, "Australian Wagyu with Garlic-Potato Purée and Petit Carrots" is really just steak and mashed potatoes (with carrots). I'm certain that you could order it and just get the steak alone (as the trip report author did - there's a picture of the steak in the report).

If you are looking for a romantic dinner and you think your boyfriend will enjoy that kind of food, you could fill up on room service or somewhere else before you go, and then just nibble the offerings and/or grab something to eat afterwards. You cannot beat the romantic experience at Remy and the staff is accustomed to having people eat there that don't regularly frequent five-star restaurants. They won't hold that against you - they want you to have a fantastic experience and they will bend over backwards to make sure that happens.

If you like cheese, there's also a cheese course that's not on the menu, as well as delivery of a ton of chocolates at the end of the meal (and another delivery of chocolates to your stateroom). You don't mention whether you and your boyfriend are wine drinkers, but that's another part to consider. And at Remy, the meal is 5+ courses - you can order a la carte and be adventuresome on some courses - even if you don't try but a bite, you won't leave feeling hungry, especially if you get a snack beforehand.

In short, if you want a romantic dinner, don't worry about the food spoiling it - Disney will be able to fashion something you'll enjoy!

I consider myself to be pretty picky eater. but on the ship is where I chose to explore. I told myself that if they brought it out and I didn't like it, I could just order something else.

I enjoyed everything they brought. That doesn't mean I would order it in a restaurant back home, though.

Virtually everything can be served with sauce on the side or without sauce. There is a grilled fish, chicken breast, and steak available each night. You can mix and match the side from one item with the entree from another. You can even eat off the kid menu if you wish. And I agree--the names are fancier than the food! You can also get a chicken caesar salad at every meal....if there is something you want, just ask--they will try to meet your needs.

I appreciate all the advice on the menus. I'm also a bit picky and have restrictions on what I can eat so that makes it even harder for me to find something to eat. The menus for all the restaurants sounded way to fancy to me but it seems like you can get some basic stuff. I didn't know about the kids menus so I'll have to keep it in mind. Does the portion differ if you get the kid's menus? I generally cannot eat an adult portion of a meal, but I can handle a kid's portion with no problem.

I appreciate all the advice on the menus. I'm also a bit picky and have restrictions on what I can eat so that makes it even harder for me to find something to eat. The menus for all the restaurants sounded way to fancy to me but it seems like you can get some basic stuff. I didn't know about the kids menus so I'll have to keep it in mind. Does the portion differ if you get the kid's menus? I generally cannot eat an adult portion of a meal, but I can handle a kid's portion with no problem.

The child portions are smaller...but the portions on the ship are not large in general. They are more European sized than American. If an adult orders off the kid menu, they will often bring an "adult portion." If you don't want that, just ask for the regular child amount.

if you have allergies or other restrictions, they will work with you on those also.

The child portions are smaller...but the portions on the ship are not large in general. They are more European sized than American. If an adult orders off the kid menu, they will often bring an "adult portion." If you don't want that, just ask for the regular child amount.

if you have allergies or other restrictions, they will work with you on those also.

Thanks. If the adult portions are generally smaller, I'll just give those a try. I made sure to make a note of my restriction in my reservation, and I'll check with them closer to the time. 18 months seems so long.:hourglass

Thank you STLEdge! I love the pictures and that really made me feel so much better. I guess we will be trying Remy!! I'm back to excited again! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts