World Cup at Disney World

BillBrasky

Mouseketeer
I’m going to be on a solo trip at Riviera during the first 3 days of the World Cup this November. I remember in 2014 they turned Odyssey in Epcot into a World Cup hub with merch, food/drink, and TVs. They didn’t in 2018 and I wonder if it was because the US wasn’t in it. They did have some limited time merch though. Anybody else going to be there at that time? Thinking good places to watch would be Geyser Point, Bar Riva, City Works… any other suggestions or past experiences suggesting if Disney might do something?

Wasn't that spot in the Odyssey center awesome? I loved the international feel, when guests from participating countries would come in to cheer on their teams.

You have some good choices, but I might add Splitsville.

Did ABC/ESPN have the tv rights in 2014? I think Fox had them last World Cup. That’s might explain differences.

Still too early but I am certain there will be multiple events and watch locations through WDW property..

And in addition to The Odyssey,there were also viewing locations at the former Wonders of Life Pavilion and in one of the Dining Rooms at Restaurantosaurus.

It was the only time that Live TV has been shown inside a WDW Park.

It was really cool to be there with the International "flavor".

For example we watched the Finals at The Odyssey(a lot of Guests pulling for Argentina hoping that Messi would finally get a World Cup,but it was not to be)and after it was over,we left The Odyssey and walked on over to Germany and congratulated the Germany Cast-very fun.

We also found it entertaining to watch the Brazil 15s and the Argentina 15s "interact".

After the Brazil v. Germany Game,when the Argentina 15s would see the Brazil 15s,they would chant at them: "SIETE! SIETE! SIETE!"!lol:)

And after Germany beat Argentina,some of the Brazil 15s had Germany flags that they would wave at the Argentina 15s.lol

There was also an "incident" at End Zone Food Court at All-Star Sports(somebody thought it would be OK to let the Brazil 15s AND the Argentina 15s watch the Finals there!:)) and after the Game was over,one thing led to another and Resort Security and EVEN the Resort Lifeguards had to come and "separate" them!

I think the chances of Live in-Park TV this year is zero.

I will be pulling for Argentina because of Messi and then Brazil.

If neither of those wins,I will pull for a World Showcase "Threepeat" !:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter