FIFA World Cup 2022 thread

World Cup excitement scale: How excited are you for the tournament?

Votes: 26 52.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Soccer 101/ World Cup excitement scale thread. On a scale of 1(lowest)-10(highest), how excited are you for the World Cup in November? Also use the flag emojis to post what country or countries you will be rooting for.
Also, if you haven’t watched the FIFA World Cup before, what are you most looking forward to?

Edit: Updated USA tv schedule:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/fifa-world-cup/2022/schedule/#date=2022-11-20

Last edited:

I'm just wondering how long it takes before someone passes out on the field.

Zero excitement until the tournament actually starts. Then it depends on how well the US does.

Are all the teams selected?

Zero excitement until the tournament actually starts. Then it depends on how well the US does.

29 have officially qualified, the final 3 slots will be decided in 3 weeks or so. Peru will either play Australia or the UAE for a final spot, New Zealand will play Costa Rica for a final spot, and Wales will play Scotland or Ukraine for a final spot. The berths were already assigned a group though at the draw.

Last edited:

The USMNT playing in the Nations League doesn’t intrigue you at all? The team plays 4 games in June and then two in Europe in September before the November World Cup. The Nations League not only serves as qualifiers for the Gold Cup but affects rankings as well. :confused3

The USMNT playing in the Nations League doesn’t intrigue you at all? The team plays 4 games in June and then two in Europe in September before the November World Cup. The Nations League not only serves as qualifiers for the Gold Cup but affects rankings as well. :confused3
No. As with many sports, I’m only interested every four years for a short period of time.

I thought the thread question was about interest in the WC?

I thought the thread question was about interest in the WC?
It is but I was wondering if the mini tournament in between might build interest leading into the WC. Canadians may know that their team may have qualified the first time since 1986 but how many actually watched the qualifiers? If people are interested in the WC because the USA and Canada are back in it, how many will try to watch them play on tv in June before their final practice games in September? I’m partly wondering how many people will still follow their national teams after the WC. We have the second half of the Nations League and the 2023 Gold Cup next summer. How many of those new fans will probably tune in? Everyone talks about the growth of popularity of soccer in North America after every WC. This particular edition is during the holiday season. When Canada and the USA face off in Gold Cup qualifiers in the Spring, how much of the population will care? I know we won’t have those answers until next year but between general interest after the WC and whatever tv deals come into fruition, I’m curious to see where general soccer interest is before 2026. :confused3

Still zero interest in soccer regardless of the playoff format or how many different ways you ask the same question.

Last edited:
I'm not especially excited, but I'll pay some attention to it when it happens. I'll be rooting for the US, because I'm from here, and New Zealand if they qualify - because they're ranked 101st, and I love I good underdog story.

🇺🇸 🇳🇿

Still zero interest in soccer regardless of the playoff format or how many different ways you ask the same question.
Thanks for your response. I try to see how many people will stick with watching the sport after major events. :confused3

While I am sure the athletes are talented, it still reminds me of 'kick ball' we used to play in grade school. No interest in watching the pro version. Always lots of sports on TV, so it is a matter of which ones someone finds appealing. I enjoy some forms of auto racing, but F1 seems like the teams with the most $$$ have the fastest cars and win all of the races. Watching that version of racing where they just seem to drive around single file is boring to me. Changing the playoff format isn't going to make it any more interesting to watch.

I'm not especially excited, but I'll pay some attention to it when it happens. I'll be rooting for the US, because I'm from here, and New Zealand if they qualify - because they're ranked 101st, and I love I good underdog story.

🇺🇸 🇳🇿
NZ just has to beat a weak Costa Rica team to get in. I like their chances.

🇺🇸 🇳🇿
NZ plays Costa Rica on June 14th at 2pm ET for the right to go to the WC. I think the game will be on ESPN +, but I’m not sure yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter