Work rant (just letting off steam)

SirDuff

DIS Veteran
Just ranting. Don't think there is advice to give, but feel free :)

I've applied for a few jobs recently (I have one and it is good, but a few really interesting ones have come up recently). One is with the same organization I'm with (so I know something of the process). I was shortlisted and asked to provide a time to do an online written test (test length is three hours) starting Monday morning. I gave a time of 17h00 yesterday (which was 23h00 in the city where the job will be/where the HR is). HR says that they'll send an email with the test at that time (other roles have used a portal that you can sign-into which I like better but this one said that they'd email the test/test link).

The time (yesterday) comes and goes with no email. I cannot reach anyone (again, it's after 23h00 at this point). I reach out to one of the HR people that I work with for their advice and the suggestion is to email the HR person, the HR person above her, and the hiring manager (all noted on the job description that I got with the test invitation). I do so. Also saying that I will be unable to do the test today (it's not easy to carve out three hours when you work full time) but can do it Wednesday.

This morning, I awake to two emails - one saying it is the test (with a note in the title that the timer starts as soon as the email is opened) and one from the HR rep saying that, to keep on schedule, they really want it done today by COB (my COB). I respond that there is no way to get it by COB, but I will try to move things (again) and do it this evening.

I just tried to do it (having left work early) and there is no attachment. Again, the timer starts as soon as you open the email, so not something that I could checked/tested in advance. I didn't know if it was a link or an attachment so even looking for the little paper clip icon in the header wouldn't have helped.

I've sent another email to all three people (attaching the attachmentless email). But, I cannot find another three hour slot now until Friday. My HR friend says that that is reasonable, but who knows that they will think.

Luckily, I don't think I want this job (realizing that moving even further away from home to a chaotic city is probably not worth the job) and I was, honestly, partly using the testing as practice but still...

I know that they want to due interviews late next week (they said so in the email about the test) but I figure that they can review everyone else, choose their interview list and then, on the weekend/early next week, either add me or not. I know it risks them just deciding not to go forward with me but (a) pretty sure I don't want the job and (b) actually, this types of positions require a strict protocol and I can bring in the staff association to make them prove that I legitimately didn't qualify for an interview based on my test/CV. I wouldn't do the latter but I could.

I didn't tell them about the Friday thing yet. I'll do a scan to see if I can make it earlier (but I also don't want to do the test late night after a full day of work).

As I said, just a rant.

I would be aggravated also. I'm not sure how they would set "the timer" to start when you open the email. Maybe when you click on the link/open the attachment, I understand, but not the email itself.

Also not sure how the attachment would disappear from the email.

I am curious though... is the "new" job a continent away? A six hour time difference would be unusual I'd think (unless you're in Hawaii and applying in the continental US).

I would be aggravated also. I'm not sure how they would set "the timer" to start when you open the email. Maybe when you click on the link/open the attachment, I understand, but not the email itself.

Also not sure how the attachment would disappear from the email.

I am curious though... is the "new" job a continent away? A six hour time difference would be unusual I'd think (unless you're in Hawaii and applying in the continental US).
I'm in Europe and the job is the Western Pacific (one of our regional offices). I'm from North America, so I'd be moving much farther away from home (about twice as far in terms of "as the crow flies" miles). Dealing with timezones is part of our daily work.

The HR lady claimed that she gets a read receipt when I open the email. So, I don't think that there is a literal timer but that she compares that time with the time that I send back the file. I'm not totally sure - I assume there is an explanation in the file that I don't have.

I'm assuming that she forgot to attach the attachment (possibly in resending the email that failed yesterday, something happened).

Using the online portal test site is so much much better.

HR department seems disorganized and hard to believe they don't comprehend some people in their company work several time zones away. Their bumbling of how the email notifications were handled leads me to believe you weren't the only applicant having these issues. Telling you they need it by COB sounds more like they messed up and now expect the applicants to jump through hoops to meet their deadline.

Curious what large company gives a 3 hr test to evaluate candidates for potential promotion unless this is some sort of technical area and the test covers your knowledge of those concepts. Giving other types of tests to rank/evaluate candidates could create legal issues. Seems strange that if the test is given to current employees seeking promotion that HR doesn't do a better job arranging with your supervisor regarding needing time away from your current position to allow for the test taking.

HR department seems disorganized and hard to believe they don't comprehend some people in their company work several time zones away. Their bumbling of how the email notifications were handled leads me to believe you weren't the only applicant having these issues. Telling you they need it by COB sounds more like they messed up and now expect the applicants to jump through hoops to meet their deadline.

Curious what large company gives a 3 hr test to evaluate candidates for potential promotion unless this is some sort of technical area and the test covers your knowledge of those concepts. Giving other types of tests to rank/evaluate candidates could create legal issues. Seems strange that if the test is given to current employees seeking promotion that HR doesn't do a better job arranging with your supervisor regarding needing time away from your current position to allow for the test taking.
Supervisor has NO idea I've applied (and I'd very much like to keep it that way). It's not directly a promotion (as in not a step up a direct ladder) but it is a level up from where I am now. Their HR knows I'm an internal candidate, but the job was open to both internal and external people.

The more senior HR person responded saying that she know that this has all been stressful and that my taking the test Friday morning is fine (I'll just start work late) and they'll adjust interviews as needed (they are scheduled for middle of next week).

As long as you are not looking to join HR it'll probably be fine, best wishes for a good outcome!

Is it possible they don’t want you to have the job? Maybe have someone else in mind?

I'm in the process of looking for a new job. I interviewed today and I'm pretty sure they will offer me the job, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. I have another interview tomorrow. What irritates me is the virtual interviews. I have a job where I have to physically be there so I would prefer to physically interview there. I'd like to actually see where I'd be working.

Is it possible they don’t want you to have the job? Maybe have someone else in mind?
I've anguished through some interviews that I knew were all theatre. I have a good-paying job that I dislike. I know I should be grateful for the good paying part.

As long as you are not looking to join HR it'll probably be fine, best wishes for a good outcome!
That's my thought (that I'm not working with HR).

@SirDuff is this federal Diplomatic Corps? If so, none of this is shocking. :laughing:
Nope, but it is within the UN so...maybe it's the same thing?
Possibly, but scuttlebut says that they are actually looking for new blood. To be fair, I'm not sure I really want me to have the job (which makes me question why I'm bothering jumping through hoops).
I'm in the process of looking for a new job. I interviewed today and I'm pretty sure they will offer me the job, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. I have another interview tomorrow. What irritates me is the virtual interviews. I have a job where I have to physically be there so I would prefer to physically interview there. I'd like to actually see where I'd be working.
Given the job is 4,000 miles away, no way it will be in person. Almost all of our interviews are video though (even pre-COVID). Since we tend to have international hires, in-person are hard and the rule is that all candidates have to interview the same way. So, if one candidate needs a video interview, everyone gets one (or phone interviews before COVID-19 meant we had a good video system), everyone gets a video interview (or phone interview) even if, as was the case for my current role (where, frankly, I was the one they already had in mind since it was already my job - just moving from a short-term contract to a regular one), you take the phone call from the office next to the hiring manager.

Just ranting. Don't think there is advice to give, but feel free :)

I've applied for a few jobs recently (I have one and it is good, but a few really interesting ones have come up recently). One is with the same organization I'm with (so I know something of the process). I was shortlisted and asked to provide a time to do an online written test (test length is three hours) starting Monday morning. I gave a time of 17h00 yesterday (which was 23h00 in the city where the job will be/where the HR is). HR says that they'll send an email with the test at that time (other roles have used a portal that you can sign-into which I like better but this one said that they'd email the test/test link).

The time (yesterday) comes and goes with no email. I cannot reach anyone (again, it's after 23h00 at this point). I reach out to one of the HR people that I work with for their advice and the suggestion is to email the HR person, the HR person above her, and the hiring manager (all noted on the job description that I got with the test invitation). I do so. Also saying that I will be unable to do the test today (it's not easy to carve out three hours when you work full time) but can do it Wednesday.

This morning, I awake to two emails - one saying it is the test (with a note in the title that the timer starts as soon as the email is opened) and one from the HR rep saying that, to keep on schedule, they really want it done today by COB (my COB). I respond that there is no way to get it by COB, but I will try to move things (again) and do it this evening.

I just tried to do it (having left work early) and there is no attachment. Again, the timer starts as soon as you open the email, so not something that I could checked/tested in advance. I didn't know if it was a link or an attachment so even looking for the little paper clip icon in the header wouldn't have helped.

I've sent another email to all three people (attaching the attachmentless email). But, I cannot find another three hour slot now until Friday. My HR friend says that that is reasonable, but who knows that they will think.

Luckily, I don't think I want this job (realizing that moving even further away from home to a chaotic city is probably not worth the job) and I was, honestly, partly using the testing as practice but still...

I know that they want to due interviews late next week (they said so in the email about the test) but I figure that they can review everyone else, choose their interview list and then, on the weekend/early next week, either add me or not. I know it risks them just deciding not to go forward with me but (a) pretty sure I don't want the job and (b) actually, this types of positions require a strict protocol and I can bring in the staff association to make them prove that I legitimately didn't qualify for an interview based on my test/CV. I wouldn't do the latter but I could.

I didn't tell them about the Friday thing yet. I'll do a scan to see if I can make it earlier (but I also don't want to do the test late night after a full day of work).

As I said, just a rant.
Good luck. I hope it all works out!

The saga continues...

Good news - I got offered an interview and accepted the interview.

Bad news - The email says that the interview is on Wednesday 15-June (at 7am my time). I didn't notice until after their office hours closed today (I only got the email this morning) that that isn't actually a date. And now have to get up in time to prepare for a 7am interview tomorrow morning (even though the interview may not be until Thursday).

You cannot make these things up.

So, after all of that, I'm their "selected candidate". I don't yet have an official offer but the hiring called to ask if I'd take the job. I asked for a few days to think it through. It is a big move (from about 4,000 miles from home to about 8,000) to a country where I don't speak the language at all (though work is done in English) and definitely stick out.

Any news on your interview process?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!