Woo hoo! Bought our first pop up.

Lmans77

Mouseketeer
We did it, after lots of shopping and indecision over the last couple of years, we bought a pop up! It's a 2008 Jayco high wall. My 9 year old daughter wants to redo it Disney themed and Disney name it. We've never stayed at the Fort but we've been to Disney 4x, and have a trip planned for June. That was a free dining bounceback at POR, so we're keeping that. Don't know when we'll make it to the Fort with the new PUP, but hopefully it'll be within the next year or so. We are in the Houston suburbs, so hopefully we'll be lots of local camping this year. Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement!

00f0f_2To1KJJ7YLO_1200x900_zpspyyvwfap.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

congrats! Hope you have a great time at POR...while you're there take some time to visit the Fort to see where you'd like to stay "next time" :love:

That looks great Lara! :yay: Can't wait to read about you taking it to the Fort.

I had a 2005 Jayco Highwall popup that I took to the Fort many times and your looks VERY similar. Here it is at the Fort in site 127 in April 2013:

I sold it after 10 years (bought it new and used it over 200 camping nights) and bought an A-frame because we are empty nesters now (baby in college) and the A-frame is quick, easy, and lighter for me to handle by myself (DW helps by supervising me :rolleyes: )

I like your floorplan because of the couch against the bunk. We didn't have that and the only place to sit when it was cold/wet/rainy or dark was the slide out dinette. We realized we needed two places to sit inside and the A-frame offered that. But I miss the memories and the smell of canvas.

One piece of unsolicited advice: never, EVER store the camper with the canvas wet. Even if it's wet when it's time to go home, pop it up at home that same day if possible or otherwise as soon as possible and let it dry out. Moisture and mold are the scourge of canvas pop-ups. When it is dry and closed up, store it with a container of Damp-Rid inside the door (available at Home Depot and other similar stores) to absorb interior moisture (don't forget to open the fridge door and prop it open when you close it up because you'd be surprised how much condensation will build up inside it over a weekend trip).

If you have any questions along the way, feel free to PM me if you want. I loved our Jayco popup and they are well built so if you take care of it, it will last you for a long time.

Bama ED

PS - second piece of unsolicited advice: two inch Memory Foam mattress toppers if your pup came with stock basic mattresses. Makes a HUGE improvement in sleep quality and the roof can still close with them on the bunks. Although the mattresses in your pictures are taller so they may not be stock.

Last edited:
Congratulations! We have a 2000 Jayco pop up that we bought new and are still enjoying. Agree with all Bama Ed said about mattress, canvas, refrigerator.

thanks yall! and thanks for the advice..I'll take all I can get. haha. We have visited to the Fort several times for Hoop Dee Doo (our favorite!) and Trail's End, and have ridden the bus through FW from the parking area. However, I'm not too familiar with the loops and have never driven through them. Any suggestions for that? Do you get a pop up site, or do you sometimes go for a full hook up or preferred site for other reasons.

Congrats.

This is how we started. Renting a popup to go to races. Enjoy and start planning that first trip to the Fort!

j

We had 2 popups prior to the new hybrid we got this year and loved them....ours weren't the high wall though and I think that's a great innovation that makes packing for trips much easier. A couple of suggestions I have are to get a couple of storage boxes to hold your supplies in between trips, it will speed up getting ready to go out. We also bought small appliances...coffee pot, toaster/toaster oven...that were dedicated to the camper and we stored them under the benches of the dinette. When you come back from a trip, wash and dry any laundry and put it back in your storage totes, as well as any dishes that are dedicated to the camper. We got to our destination once and found out that we had the coffee maker, but no pot because we didn't put it back after washing it. We don't do life without coffee!

Enjoy the popup!

We did it, after lots of shopping and indecision over the last couple of years, we bought a pop up! It's a 2008 Jayco high wall. My 9 year old daughter wants to redo it Disney themed and Disney name it. We've never stayed at the Fort but we've been to Disney 4x, and have a trip planned for June. That was a free dining bounceback at POR, so we're keeping that. Don't know when we'll make it to the Fort with the new PUP, but hopefully it'll be within the next year or so. We are in the Houston suburbs, so hopefully we'll be lots of local camping this year. Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement!

[/URL][/IMG]

Congrats on the camper! We live up in the Spring/Tomball area. Lots of nice places around. Livingston, Huntsville, Galveston, Jellystone. The best places are further out - Inks lake is one of our favs. Take a look at Pop-up Gizmos.

When we had our pop up, we liked the preferred spots at the Fort, FYI. Location more than anything.

Ditto what Phil said on location.

If you look at my signature, you can see I've stayed in all four levels of campsites with a popup. Here is the map for reference:

XvjPWTtl35Nlr8VCQ4QAo04s4DEOID3vDW-hLwjP3MF6=w744-h685-no

I am currently in a Preferred phase for the same reason he gave. We like the location relative to our touring style. We like going to the Fort annually but when we go our park days might number only 1 or 2. Always the MK though - in the last 5 years I've done 1 day at Epcot and 1 day at Studios. Sometimes we put a 2nd day at MK. But since MK is our primary park destination, we like being close to the boat dock to ride over to MK on the boats. When the kids (we have 3) were younger I liked 900 Premium because it was very close to the Meadow Trading Post area with the pool and the campfire/singalong/movie location (must do for your family - I post the movie schedule on the camping board each month and it gets stickied). It's also pretty shaded and only has 30 something sites so if you are in the back it's not a far walk to the front/Comfort Station/bus stop.

Never have requested a Premium but got put in one once when the Preferred were full. Didn't cost me extra but it felt silly with my little pop-up on all that concrete. And Premiums are the most expensive.

The thing about the tent loops 1500 and 2000 is that I LOVE 1500 and DESPISE 2000. 1500 is close to the pool area, has a bus stop at the front of it, and shares a Comfort Station with 1600 nearby. It's a small loop (only 20-something sites) so it's a short walk to most things. With 2000, I don't dislike the loop itself but it has nearly 70 campsites and although it has two Comfort Stations, they get a lot of use given everyone is in popups and tents with no sewer hookups. If I could be assured of getting 1500 I would book a Tent site every time. Also "groups" such as Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and others groups occupying several sites who celebrate the fact that the day ends in Y very loudly and late into the night particularly on weekends in fall and spring (we are a Scouting family so I'm not knocking that), it's just there's kids running around being kids across your campsite early in the morning, late at night, and then the party people don't observe the quiet hours and Disney is loathe to enforce the quiet time.

I'll stay in Tent sites in the future if the timing is right - hoping I get 1500. 1500 is preferred by many so it stays much more full than 2000 so it's harder to get into once you arrive. At least with a popup we have the option to go to any level of site.

Bama Ed

PS - here is a good resource I put together with the rack rate cost (with tax) of Fort campsites for 2017. It's helpful to see what time of year produces what rates at what level of site.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...-2017-fort-wilderness-campsite-rates.3526550/

Last edited:
Congrats on the PUP!!!! Definitely looking forward to your first Fort trip report...........but be ready.......after one trip to the Fort you will be hooked like most others on this board.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Great choice! Being in the south, you might want to check out pop-up Gizmos reflective coverings for the bunk ends. It makes a ton of difference when it is over 80 outside.

[/URL][/IMG]

Have a blast!

I had a 2005 Jayco Highwall popup that I took to the Fort many times and your looks VERY similar. Here it is at the Fort in site 127 in April 2013:

I sold it after 10 years (bought it new and used it over 200 camping nights) and bought an A-frame because we are empty nesters now (baby in college) and the A-frame is quick, easy, and lighter for me to handle by myself (DW helps by supervising me :rolleyes: )
Bama Ed, have you posted any pictures of your a-frame at the Fort here? I feel like you have, but I tried searching the forum and couldn't find any. I'd love to see them! I vaguely remember a thread about rare sightings of a-frames at the Fort.

Congrats on your purchase! I have a lot of fond memories as a child in the pop-ups my parents owned while out on vacation!

Bama Ed, have you posted any pictures of your a-frame at the Fort here? I feel like you have, but I tried searching the forum and couldn't find any. I'd love to see them! I vaguely remember a thread about rare sightings of a-frames at the Fort.

I have, Nornster, in the various trip report threads.

Here is the thread from when I got it. Has interior pictures too. https://www.disboards.com/threads/bama-ed-has-a-new-camper.3259749/#post-51129892

Here is my first visit to the Fort with the Aliner in January 2015. See pages 3 and 4. https://www.disboards.com/threads/b...-report-added-ft-desoto-update.3363914/page-3

So it's been to the Fort three times now. It's easy to tow and set up quickly by myself.

Bama Ed

Congrats, what a beauty!!! It's so gorgeous now, that it seems a shame to do a makeover, but I am still think your daughter has a fantastic idea.

I've made over our pop up twice, and both times looked for great Disney fabric and couldn't settle on anything specific. I've settled for just touches of Disney. I think I am jaded because our last pop up I had Disney Camping fabric! It was sheet sets that I purchased and, added backing, and made into curtains. I loved it and they don't make it anymore. I should have taken the curtains out of that camper before we sold it. Nothing else is living up to it in my mind.

However, if you just go Disney, in general, there is so much great stuff out there to choose from! I seriously couldn't narrow it down. You can even find upholstery fabric on eBay that was actually used at resorts. I had some great stuff, that was subtle, but had Hidden Mickeys in it. Even used, it still looked like new and was top quality. Now, I've went and talked myself into heading over to eBay to see what is available, as I haven't chosen upholstery fabric for my current remodel yet. ::MinnieMo

Also, I adore your hard walled bathroom! That is something that I have a mod planned for ours.

1) Congrats on your purchase !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) Sure, your POR trip is good, but once at The Fort, you won't stay elsewhere on-property.
3) This (true) investment will yield you great returns in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter