Woman Killed by Flying Beach Umbrella

Last edited:

I heard of this happening at a beach in New Jersey a few years ago. Super upsetting for her family. I've been spending the week at Hilton Head Island and I've seen a few flying umbrellas due to the wind. I'm glad no one got hurt and were grabbed in time but every time it happened I thought of that story.

If I'm not mistaken a family just recently settled with the Town? County? down at one of the Delaware Shores regarding a woman who was killed by a beach umbrella (sudden gust of wind I think) .

My stepdaughter is in Myrtle Beach visiting her mother. I sent her the link and told her to stay away from beach umbrellas while they are there!

I got hit by a beach umbrella a couple of weekends ago. Luckily, I was hit by the soft canopy part and it wasn’t going that fast so no injury. But definitely had me keeping an eye out the rest of the Ike.

I almost bought a BeachBub last time this happened, now I definitely will. I’d feel terrible if it were my fault.

The beach crew (on “our” beach) comes around and lowers umbrellas when it’s windy. Maybe personal umbrellas will no longer be allowed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter